Lenses and Lens Adapter

Del306

I just purchased my first DSLR camera back in November 2010. It's a Canon Rebel T2i and so far I have three lenses: 18/55, 55/250, and the 50mm.

I'm having a great time learning my camera and improving my photography skills and I'm looking to be more creative without spending a ton of extra money on additional lenses. I've seen wide angle and fish-eye lens adapters for sale on Photojojo and Amazon (anywhere from $12-$60) and they look like a fun way to experiment with different looks without committing to an expensive specialty lens. I know the picture quality isn't ideal, but does anyone have any experience with lens adapters?

I'm thinking I'd love to get wider shots of lounge areas, my cabin, or even some panoramic views. I have a good eye and I've always received compliments on the photos that I took with my old point and shoot. I'm just trying to add some new tricks to my bag.

I just purchased my first DSLR camera back in November 2010. It's a Canon Rebel T2i and so far I have three lenses: 18/55, 55/250, and the 50mm.

I'm having a great time learning my camera and improving my photography skills and I'm looking to be more creative without spending a ton of extra money on additional lenses. I've seen wide angle and fish-eye lens adapters for sale on Photojojo and Amazon (anywhere from $12-$60) and they look like a fun way to experiment with different looks without committing to an expensive specialty lens. I know the picture quality isn't ideal, but does anyone have any experience with lens adapters?

I'm thinking I'd love to get wider shots of lounge areas, my cabin, or even some panoramic views. I have a good eye and I've always received compliments on the photos that I took with my old point and shoot. I'm just trying to add some new tricks to my bag.

Most of the cheap adapters will cause vignetting at the edges of the image and the quality of the lenses themselves is usually not stellar. That said, $60 is a low price for opening a door to some fun creativity. You can always crop the vignetted edges and an image doesn't always have to be tack-sharp to be pleasing to the eye. (Just ask my Lensbaby!)

IMHO, if a cheap accessory lens gets you fired up to go out and shoot for the fun of it, go for it and enjoy!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to try one, keep an eye out for eBay. I see a few used ones there from time to time.

The only lens adapters I have used were for my old YashicaMat 124G rollfilm camera back in the early '80s. But those were specifically designed for the camera - made by Yashica - so they were matched.

I have not tried any of the 3rd party offerings.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if the OP is still reading these boards, but I thought I would share my experience with a third party cheap lens for a "fisheye" effect.

I recently purchased a 0.42X 'Fisheye lens with macro' (really an adapter) made by Digital Innovations through Amazon. I paid $36 Cdn including shipping. I'm using a 58-46mm step down adapter ring to mount it to my 18-55mm kit lens.

Overall the effect works ok and it's fun to play around with, but the reality is you get what you pay for. You can see from the pics below that you certainly don't get the same effect as with a real fisheye lens. However, for the price it's fun to have and as Dave mentioned, it gets me out trying new, fun things with my camera!

Andrea

cab37fa2.jpg

3939625b.jpg

e5b5180d.jpg

Archived