Tipping

Hi everyone! We have less than 30 days left until the big day and I am getting very excited/anxious. We are getting married on Holland America (NYC -> Bermuda cruise).

My mom and I were going over the breakdown of expenses the other day and wanted to get everyone's take on tipping. As a part of our final payment the cruise line will also charge us an additional 15% for tips for everyone assisting in the wedding (including wedding coordinators, photographer, etc). I am assuming that the cruise will distribute this money but really have no idea how that works.

However, should we also be tipping some extra in cash during the wedding? If so, who do you decide to tip in cash and how much? Since we are already paying the 15% gratuity on top of the final fee this could quickly get out of hand. Also we have no idea how many people will be waiting on us during the wedding. We know of the photographer, wedding coordinators, officiant, pianist and singer. But what about the servers – should we tip them additional too? We don’t even know how many of them will be there. Help!

Thanks!!!

Rachel

• 1 month later...

I am trying to find the exact same information about cash tipping those involved in the ceremony and reception. I have found thread on this, but they a bit dated and not very consistent. I was thinking of tipping each of the coordinators $20-$40 depending on service, $20 for the notary public who is doing the ceremony, $40 for the photographer after the pictures are taken if we don't feel too rushed and again based on service and professionalism, $40 for the videographer, $20 for the DJ, and $10 to $20 for each bartender and server depending on how many of them there are and the service. If anyone out there knows of any other guidelines I would love to hear them.

I am trying to find the exact same information about cash tipping those involved in the ceremony and reception. I have found thread on this, but they a bit dated and not very consistent. I was thinking of tipping each of the coordinators $20-$40 depending on service, $20 for the notary public who is doing the ceremony, $40 for the photographer after the pictures are taken if we don't feel too rushed and again based on service and professionalism, $40 for the videographer, $20 for the DJ, and $10 to $20 for each bartender and server depending on how many of them there are and the service. If anyone out there knows of any other guidelines I would love to hear them.

My plan is to have $40 for each the DJ, photographer, officiant and coordinators. Then add more or less if i see fit.....That's what i'm budgeting for as of now tho...

my photographer said he wasn't allowed to accept tips. It may be a cruise line policy, I was on RCCL. I also didn't have to pay a 15% upfront so I think it is different per cruise line and the policies for each of them.

I too carried 40.00 per person (no upfront fee charged) but in the end I only handed out 20 each... there were too many problems with my wedding but I didn't want to not tip them either. Had I had tens on me, they might have only gotten 10 each....

Has anyone added an additional tip for the photographer after seeing and buying the photos if they are really good?

I tipped the photographer when I picked up my final photos. I actually gave him a leftover wedding favor with a $20 bill inside the box.

Here is what I tipped for our whole trip:

Photographer - $20

Officiant - $20

DJ - $20

Bartender - $20

Asst Bartender - $10

TWE coordinator - $20

Asst Coordnator - $10

Hair & Makeup artist -$20

Cabin Stewart - $20 (He deserved extra. He actually gave us wedding gifts!)

Asst Cabin Stewart - $10

I tipped the photographer when I picked up my final photos. I actually gave him a leftover wedding favor with a $20 bill inside the box.

Photographer - $20

Officiant - $20

DJ - $20

Bartender - $20

Asst Bartender - $10

TWE coordinator - $20

Asst Coordnator - $10

Asst Cabin Stewart - $10

That's very helpful!!!

Does everyone get an asst coordinator and 2 bartenders? I am only having 20 people at my wedding...I'm fine with having all the people, just not sure if i should expect that much help or not....

That's very helpful!!!

Does everyone get an asst coordinator and 2 bartenders? I am only having 20 people at my wedding...I'm fine with having all the people, just not sure if i should expect that much help or not....

I had 45 guests and was surprised to see so many bartenders/servers. After reviewing my wedding video I counted 5 servers not including the coordinators. I felt bad I only tipped what I did. I heard that they take whatever tip you give and split it evenly among them but that info didn't come from Carnival. So, I am not 100% sure on that one. I am sure you can call your rep from Carnival Weddings department and ask.

You will have two coordinators no matter how many guests you have. The TWE coordinator and a coordinator assigned by Carnival to help set up and cut your cake and to make sure Carnival has everything in order for you during the ceremony and reception. She is also a crew member on board the ship.

Photographer - $20

Officiant - $20

DJ - $20

Bartender - $20

Asst Bartender - $10

TWE coordinator - $20

Asst Coordnator - $10

Asst Cabin Stewart - $10

OH, and I gave a $20 tip to our Carnival videographer too!

Archived