Boston with kids and grandma

epicTLR

We will be in Boston for a day on our Princess Canada/NE cruise next month, and would love to get some advice on trip planning from the experts here. My mom can walk pretty well but she is a bit stiff in the knees, so we would like to avoid too many steps. We will bring an umbrella stroller in case our three-year-old son gets tired of walking.

Here are the things we would like to do in Boston: ride a swan boat in Boston Commons, walk some parts of the Freedom Trail, visit Harvard, ride T, ride harbor ferry, have some great lobster rolls, and visit MIT only if time allows. I would greatly appreciate any advice on route planning. Thanks!

That's a very ambitious list for a day!:eek: Especially with a toddler and grandma along... one thing that most children enjoy and that would be easy for grandma as well is the Ducks Tour.. kids just think it's so cool when the truck turns into a boat! You could then go back to Quincy Market area and walk some of the trail, have your lobster roll lunch (we like Union Tavern)...

Yes, I realize it's a bit too ambitious:o

Now, if we just do the swan boat, Duck Tours and Quincy Market, what's the best way to get started? How to get to Boston Commons from the port?

That's a very ambitious list for a day!:eek: Especially with a toddler and grandma along... one thing that most children enjoy and that would be easy for grandma as well is the Ducks Tour.. kids just think it's so cool when the truck turns into a boat! You could then go back to Quincy Market area and walk some of the trail, have your lobster roll lunch (we like Union Tavern)...

That is ambitious. I'd get on the Silver Line at Black Falcon, go to South Station, transfer to the Red Line direction Alewife (elevator available), and ride to Harvard. Do what you want at Harvard. Take the Red Line back to Park St. and walk through the Common to the Swan boats. Walk over to the Green Line Arlington stop and take a trolley to Haymarket (Government Center has a lot of steps) to go to Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall. The trolley has steps to get on and off and some of the trolley stations also have steps, so a cab would be another option here.

Just remember that the "Freedom Trail" is just a suggested route to walk through old Boston and hit the tourist highlights. A cab from Boston Common to Quincy Market would likely go along part of the trail.

Oops - just saw your last port. The duck tour is expensive - you are paying a lot to do an amusement park splash into the Charles River. It's also not that convenient to get to - it leaves from the Science Museum and Back Bay. If you want a boat experience, the MBTA runs a water taxi from Long Wharf near Quincy Market to the Constitution in Charlestown for $1.70/pp. This will give you a nice ride in the harbor, which I prefer to the Charles River.

To get to the Swan boats, follow my directions and get off at Park St. instead of staying on out to Harvard. There is also a Children's Museum on the waterfront in South Boston - the Courthouse stop on the Silver Line. That could be another option. There is also a nice Harborwalk from the Long Wharf area back to South Station to catch the Silver Line. Lots of choices.

Never cruised through Boston, but went to college there. :) Swan boats and the Boston Common (great place to walk around, play, or have a picnic), Fanuiel Hall (a nice place to browse through shops, relax, and find a bite to eat. Often there are street performers there for entertainment.), and Long Wharf area are wonderful choices. The New England Aquarium is also on/near Long Wharf (a hit with the kids), and I believe there is an IMAX theater there too. All this would be a hefty, but possible walk for your crew.

Take the swan boat ride. Re-read Make Way for Ducklings and walk the route from the swan boats to the Esplanade (do the book backwards). Also in the Public Garden (leave the swan boats and head toward Beacon & Charles Sts.) and you'll see the ducklings sculpture. Child height and good for climbing onto Mama Duck's back.

If you head to Beacon and Arlington Sts. you'll pass by "Cheers". Food is OK but fun to take your picture at the place where "everyone knows your name".

Duck tour is fun but may not interest a 3 year old.

If you walk to the Esplanade you will see MIT across the river. A neat ride is to take the Red Line T (subway) from Boston to Cambridge. The T goes over the Charles River and you get a fantastic view of Boston and Cambridge.

• 1 year later...

I'd scratch Harvard and MIT straight off (though you can see some MIT buildings from the Duck boat tour on the Charles).

I like the Duck boats - 90 mins of kicking back and enjoying the sights. It's a good overview of the city and will give you an idea of just how close all the historical places are, so if you want to walk some or all of the Freedom trail afterwards you won't be too daunted.

Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market and some other parts of the Freedom trail are heavy on old brick and cobblestone, so if that's a concern for your mom, a bus tour may be preferable to hoofing it.

• 1 month later...

Archived