Beaches within walking of cruise ships in St. Thomas?

Does anyone know if there are any nice public beaches within walking distance of the cruise port in St. Thomas? My husband, my 7 year old son and myself will be there next week and we are limited on how much we can spend on the island. Any suggestions?

If you are docking at the WICO there are none, but Eveningstar Beach located at Frenchman's Cove is a short 4 minute cab ride. Morningstar Beach located at the Frenchman's Reef is 5 minutes away.

Both locations have chairs, restroom facilities and places to eat ( expect to pay resort prices) Frenchman's Reef Hotel is currently closed til Oct 1st for a major $50 million renovation, but the Morningstar Beach resort located on the beach is open.

If you dock at Crown Bay, Emerald Beach is a short cab ride away also. it took has chairs for rent, restroom facilities and a place to eat. Some claim you can walk to Emerald Beach from Crown Bay. It is "do-able" but the hills can be steep and I would not suggest it with a 7 year old.

Which ship will you be on and I can tell you where you will dock.

Scott

Also, we are there from 11-7. How many other ships will be there? When is the last ferry back From St. John? What would you suggest we do while at port? We haven't booked any excursions yet. I've seen so many posts that I'm not sure what would be the most fun. My kids are 15, 17, and 19 so I want something they will enjoy.

thank you so much in advance for any input,

Jennifer

Scott,

We are coming on the FOS in July. Do you know where we will dock?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Royal Caribbean uses the WICO (Havensight) dock, except for Oasis/Allure which cannot fit there.

Jennifer,

FOS will dock at The WICO. Can't say I know how many ships will be in port that day as the schedule is not available that far in advance. I think they dock on Wednesday and usually none or 1 other ship is in port that day.

I would NOT go to St. John unless you do it with a ship's tour. It is a prevailing popular topic here on CC to go to St. John for the day on your own. Don't get me wrong St. John is a pretty island with nice beaches and people, but getting there is a PITA.

First, it will be at least 30 minute taxi ride to Red Hook ($10PP each way) Next the ferry, which may not leave right when you get there, is a another 25-35 minute trip. Then a taxi once on St. John to a beach which is another 25-30 minutes( I woud not recommend Trunk Bay) Then do the whole thing in reverse and add at least another 15-20 minutes for your return as there will be more traffic. Oh! and if you miss the ferry be prepared to wave to your ship as it goes by, because it''s not waiting for you. Too much stress for me for one day.. vacations are to relax. Stay on St. Thomas

I would do an Island tour with some of the operators mentioned on these boards. I can't comment on them, as we have never done a tour with them, I always have a car and drive myself around, but there are some good reviews here. This will give you the most time to see as much of St. Thomas as possible. Usually they include some time to shop (about 2 hours) beach (about 2 hours) and some scenic driving around St. Thomas (about 2 hours) with a possible stop at the scenic overlook on Skyline Drive or Blackbeard's Castle. If I understand correctly these times are not set in stone and can be adjusted to your particular tastes.

Scott

Thank you so very much for your response. That helps a lot in trying to make our plans. I found a sight that shows only 1 other ship at that time, so I'm hoping it won't be too crowded. I'm so excited and can't wait to get there!! :D

Jennifer

Archived