Looking for a nice beach in St. Thomas , other than Mageans Bay

Linda2433

Which beach in St. Thomas is the best? Looking for snorkeling, beach chairs to rent. Some water activities, jet ski's , parasailing something. Beach bar/restaurant, restroom facilities. Someplace for us parents and two 16 year old's to spend a few hours then go shopping. Prefer to not have to deal with alot of rocks going into the water. So far from what i can figure Secret Harbour sounds good, any suggestions?

My suggestion is Sapphire Beach. We have been there two times and will go again in July. This beach might take a little longer to get there but worth it. There is food, bar, bathrooms. You can rent chairs, snorkle equip. There is no one going around selling beads, braids etc. I first read about this beach in a travel book saying it was a beautiful beach with a view of St John. When we were in St Thomas last, we were going to try a different beach since others in our shared cab were going to Coki beach. The cab driver talked everyone into Sapphire since it was his favorite beach also.

• 3 weeks later...
My suggestion is Sapphire Beach. We have been there two times and will go again in July. This beach might take a little longer to get there but worth it. There is food, bar, bathrooms. You can rent chairs, snorkle equip. There is no one going around selling beads, braids etc. I first read about this beach in a travel book saying it was a beautiful beach with a view of St John. When we were in St Thomas last, we were going to try a different beach since others in our shared cab were going to Coki beach. The cab driver talked everyone into Sapphire since it was his favorite beach also.

Is there shade at Sapphire? Senior parents will be with us, they love the beaches but can no longer take the sun. We were in Labadee last year and they loved it. How long does it take to get there? Cab fare cost? Thanks.

Hello,

Sapphire has some shade under Seagrape Trees on the right side. There is a covered bar area that is open to the beach, right by the treeline so they can go there to for a break from the sun.

It takes about 17-20 minutes from Havensight parking lot to Sapphire. Cost $8 a person in shared taxi.

--Islander

There is no charge for Coki but since we took the Godfrey tour there I cannot tell you how far from the pier. The mailman was making his rounds with mixed drinks and to be honest after his visit, I didnt pay alot of attention to the ride back, except to enjoy it.

Just to let everybody know in advance. We went to Coki last April and found Coki to be a little run down. We're from LI and have several beaches to compare it to including fire island and the hamptons. Although the water part was nice, the bars were run down shacks and the bathrooms were disgusting. No paper and a flood on the floor. Really skeevy! Also my son got the dreaded sea lice there so we had to pay big bucks from a vendor for a new suit after we rinsed him off.

Just to let everybody know in advance. We went to Coki last April and found Coki to be a little run down. We're from LI and have several beaches to compare it to including fire island and the hamptons. Although the water part was nice, the bars were run down shacks and the bathrooms were disgusting. No paper and a flood on the floor. Really skeevy! Also my son got the dreaded sea lice there so we had to pay big bucks from a vendor for a new suit after we rinsed him off.

Yes, please tell us about sea lice! :eek: Do they exist at all the beaches or just this particular one? I also wanted to mention that I was browsing through some tour books at the bookstore and found that pick-pockets sometimes are a problem at Coki. Anyone had this problem? :confused:

Hello Sandi, Coki is about a 12-15 minute drive from Havensight.

I have never experience Sea Lice in the USVI or anywhere else... knock on wood. Here is a link though on the critters and the rash: http://www.fau.edu/safe/sea-lice.html

Sunluva - not really pick-pockets... in the past there was a bigger problem with things left unattended - with them disappearing. I haven't heard of it being too much of a problem more recently. All the same its a good idea not to leave things exposed while snorkeling - sunglasses, cameras ect.

--Islander

From all the "searches" of opinions of those who have been to Coki, Magen's, and Sapphire... most people think Sapphire is the better choice. We've decided to go to Sapphire when we use Godfrey for our tour.

can anyone tell me how to get to sapphire beach and how long it takes we have been to trunk Bay and it's great not a whole lot to do but snorkel and small place for food and bathrooms with showers not really clean the beach is great though.

I'm pleased to hear the good reviews on Sapphire Beach, we're thinking of going there on our next cruise in Oct. We've been to Trunk Bay in St John and absolutely loved it. We also went to Coki on one of our cruises and didn't care for it at all. In fact we only stayed there less than an hour.

Ok.....I can take a cab to Sapphire Beach for about $8 pp, right?? Now, to get back to the ship - are there cabs hanging around at the beach waiting for fares? Or should I have the driver come back at a predetermined time?? Thanks for the help!

Hello KenMo,

There are usually a couple cabs just outside the Sapphire Resort lobby, or you can ask the girls at the frontdesk to call one for you or you can arrange a pick up with the driver that drops you there.

--Islander

I like using the facilities at Secret Harbour or Bolongo Bay resorts. They have bars, dining and a safe beach. Sometimes a guard will come by and request $5 for eack lounger you use. It's a steal and you are not far from whatever facilities you require. Both toward Red Hook area just a few miles from C.A> :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from my cruise. Went to Sapphire Beach, it was great. Took a cab from the dock to Sapphire it was $8.00 a person. We had him come back at 1 to take us the downtown to Shop. Got to beach around 9/9:30. Got chairs. $5.00 each. Beach not crowded early but does get crowded as the day goes on. Picked us up at Sapphire at 1, took us on a tour of the Island for an extra $2.00 a person. Took us up to this great place to take pictures of the ships etc. Only thing i didn't like was the vendors up their trying to sell their stuff. But they don't bother you on the beach like they do in St. Martin which got really annoying. Also there was a donkey there for people to sit on and take a picture. We did and you give a donation to the owner. I felt bad for the donkey. Saw another one in town doing the same thing. Got dropped off in town to shop then took another taxi back to the ship, not a long enough time to stay in St. Thomas in my opinion. Wish we could have stayed a few days.

Would definitely go back to Sapphire. Looking at just going to St. Thomas and staying at Sapphire. I love St. Thomas!

Archived