Snorkel Camera Mask 2011

CSloan

I did a search on this topic, but only found posts from more than a year ago. I'm assuming price and quality have improved since then :)

Do you have any experiences with, or recommendation for, a snorkel mask with a built in digital camera? I don't want to spend hundreds, as I would only use it a couple times a year. But, I love the idea of having the camera in my mask. And having my hands completely free.

I have an underwater Pentax Optio that I bought a few years ago - it takes good pictures, but with only the screen (and no viewfinder) to go by, I often have to just point it in a direction and shoot, hoping for the best.

Thanks!

Working in a dive shop, I can tell you the chances of you finding a decent camera on a mask that fits properly is somewhere between slim and none.

We had so many returned, we stopped carrying them.

Rule #1----- Buy a mask that fits!!! PERIOD!!!

and then there are options...

The best camera right now... for care... and hands... free operation is the GoPro Helmet Hero. The camera shoots 1080p HD or 960p at 30fps, 720p @ 30 or 60 fps, and WVGA (internet) quality video. It's good to 180'.

All of the GoPro cameras come with the waterproof case. You can buy the camera alone (Naked) for $250. The Helmet Hero version comes with a very comfortable head strap which will hold the camera in a great position to shoot video of what you are looking at, and stick-on adhesive pads (for a helmet) etc. for $300.

I shoot mine in 720p at 60fps and it takes great video.

Some accessories I recommend... (in no particular order)

1. Extra batteries.

2. The LCD Backpack (there is no viewfinder on the camera)

3. Several 8gig SD cards. Max is 32 in the camera. I prefer to use several smaller cards. Figure about 1gig per 10 min of HD video. I easily get two 60 minute dives from each card and fully charged battery. I do not run the camera non-stop. (too much editing)

4. Anti-fog pads

5. Tripod adapter. I mount my GoPro on the end of an extendable mono-pod (a single leg vs. 3 leg tripod). It extends to about 5 ft and allows me to get into and under the reefs and up close to fish without my scuba exhaust bubbles frightening them away.

I hope this helps.

You can see the GoPro here...

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-helmet-hero-camera/?gclid=CPzl6cmOmKkCFYHt7QodWR42wg

http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-diving/go-pro-hd-helmet-hero-camera/

Thanks for the info. It's probably a bit more advanced than what I'm looking for. I just snorkel, and (unfortunately) only do that about once a year. So $300 is a bit steep for me. I appreciate your thoughts, though!

GoPro Underwater Warning: I wouldn't get the GoPro camera yet for underwater use. Even though the case can be used underwater, the camera is out of focus because of the curved lens. You can google this issue and find tons of information with some half decent solutions but still no real good ones. If you want to use it for good underwater pictures or HD video you will be sorely disappointed. Get something else until GoPro comes out with a fixed case.

Archived