paradise or chankaab

chefjhh

Is it possible to do both in one day? We're thinking Chank better for snorkeling, so do that there and look around, then head over to Paradise for some quick water toy action... do-able? (we're not the just laying on the beach kind)

My opinion...I wouldn't go to Chankanaab just for the snorkeling. There is an fee to get in ($12 per person) and there isn't much else to do there other than laying out and the beach isn't that nice (man made and you have to climb down to water...not lapping waves on the sand, it's rocky). Just not worth it in my opinion. The snorkeling is free at Dzul Ha and much better! I would do Dzul Ha (if you have your heart set on some fabulous snorkeling) and then PB. There is plenty to do at PB than just laying around...kayaking, water trampoline, bungy trampoline, hammocks, power scooter, snorkeling (it's not bad, just not great), relaxing on the floats, climbing the floating iceberg, enjoying the great food and drinks, .............. Dang, I wish I wasn't sitting behind my computer at work...would love to be on my reserved lounge chair at PB soaking up this incredible sunshine today.

I agree with Solita. Unless you want to see everything in the National Park (Chankanaab), I would spend the entrance fee just to snorkel. The snorkeling at Dzul Ha is wonderful.

Rule of thumb about snorkeling and the beaches:

Generally, soft sandy shores are not condusive to great snorkeling. Fish like to dart in and out of reefs and rocks. So, if the beach has what's called and "iron shore," the snorkeling is generally very good.

Doing both a sandy beach for relaxing or playing with water toys and a rocky beach for snorkeling is do-able. Just determine how much time you want to spend doing each. Cabs are pretty readily available about anywhere on the island.

I agree, that if you just want to snorkel and then go somewhere else, don't spend the money on Chankanaab. But, it is a beautiful place and you could spend the day there. My family spent the day there and had a great time. You may want to look for pictures of Chankanaab and the other beaches before deciding. It also depends on what kind of atmosphere you are looking for, so you'll need to compare the activities/facilities that are available at each one too.

Have fun planning!:)

My opinion...I wouldn't go to Chankanaab just for the snorkeling. There is an fee to get in ($12 per person) and there isn't much else to do there other than laying out and the beach isn't that nice (man made and you have to climb down to water...not lapping waves on the sand, it's rocky). Just not worth it in my opinion. The snorkeling is free at Dzul Ha and much better! I would do Dzul Ha (if you have your heart set on some fabulous snorkeling) and then PB. There is plenty to do at PB than just laying around...kayaking, water trampoline, bungy trampoline, hammocks, power scooter, snorkeling (it's not bad, just not great), relaxing on the floats, climbing the floating iceberg, enjoying the great food and drinks, .............. Dang, I wish I wasn't sitting behind my computer at work...would love to be on my reserved lounge chair at PB soaking up this incredible sunshine today.

Can we rent snorkel gear at Dzul Ha? I have heard the snorkeling is better there, but aside from that, just don't know much more about the facilities there.

Thanks for great feedback!

Archived