Must Buy Items in Belize?

I_heart_vaca

This will be my, and my best friends, first visit to Belize. We are not much for knick knacks but we do like to purchase items in each port/city that you can’t get everywhere else (we bought an authentic cuckoo clock in Switzerland and great Italian leather handbags in Rome). Can anyone tell me what items are “must buy” items for Belize? Can be specific food items, liquor, jewelry, etc. Also, if you know a specific store we should get it from that would be great as well.

Thanks!

This will be my, and my best friends, first visit to Belize. We are not much for knick knacks but we do like to purchase items in each port/city that you can’t get everywhere else (we bought an authentic cuckoo clock in Switzerland and great Italian leather handbags in Rome). Can anyone tell me what items are “must buy” items for Belize? Can be specific food items, liquor, jewelry, etc. Also, if you know a specific store we should get it from that would be great as well.

Thanks!

Here's my Top 5 things to buy in Belize

** First and foremost.... get out of the port village. You can buy all that ~junk~ at any mall in the states. My personal recommendation.... catch the water taxi to Caye Caulker and see the "real" Belize. OK... here's my list:

1) Marie Sharpe's Hot Sauce - You can get these for about $2 - $3 USD about anywhere. Even if you dont like hot sauce, try some of the other flavors. I used to buy a case(25 bottles) every trip. They finally started importing it into the USA, so I dont have to smuggle it any more. Heh!

2) Cashew Wine - You have to at least taste it once. Not top shelf by any stretch of the imagination, but definitely unique. Very sweet. Almost like a port wine. About $9 USD

3) Belikin Beer - Nothing special, but makes a neat souvenir. You cant buy it in the states. It's actually quite good! $1 USD

4) Wood Carvings - I dont know the name of it, but there is a beautiful type of wood(very heavy) that the locals carve pieces of art from. It almost looks like mahogany. Not mass produced. Made by real artists. Can be found almost anywhere. $10 - $50 USD

5) Original Art - If you go to Caye Caulker, stop by the art "gallery". its actually just a shack on on front street. Stop in, meet Alfred, and tell him you would like to purchase an original Nelson Young painting. Beautiful local art. Reasonably priced: $100 - $250 USD for an original painting by a well known Belizian Artist.

Free Conch Shell - If you go to Caye Caulker and go to the Split, dive down about 10 feet and there are thousands of conch shells that have been discarded by the fishermen. Same shell that you pay $25 for in the states.

Here's my Top 5 things to buy in Belize

** First and foremost.... get out of the port village. You can buy all that ~junk~ at any mall in the states. My personal recommendation.... catch the water taxi to Caye Caulker and see the "real" Belize. OK... here's my list:

1) Marie Sharpe's Hot Sauce - You can get these for about $2 - $3 USD about anywhere. Even if you dont like hot sauce, try some of the other flavors. I used to buy a case(25 bottles) every trip. They finally started importing it into the USA, so I dont have to smuggle it any more. Heh!

2) Cashew Wine - You have to at least taste it once. Not top shelf by any stretch of the imagination, but definitely unique. Very sweet. Almost like a port wine. About $9 USD

3) Belikin Beer - Nothing special, but makes a neat souvenir. You cant buy it in the states. It's actually quite good! $1 USD

4) Wood Carvings - I dont know the name of it, but there is a beautiful type of wood(very heavy) that the locals carve pieces of art from. It almost looks like mahogany. Not mass produced. Made by real artists. Can be found almost anywhere. $10 - $50 USD

5) Original Art - If you go to Caye Caulker, stop by the art "gallery". its actually just a shack on on front street. Stop in, meet Alfred, and tell him you would like to purchase an original Nelson Young painting. Beautiful local art. Reasonably priced: $100 - $250 USD for an original painting by a well known Belizian Artist.

Free Conch Shell - If you go to Caye Caulker and go to the Split, dive down about 10 feet and there are thousands of conch shells that have been discarded by the fishermen. Same shell that you pay $25 for in the states.

I would skip the wine and go with local rum....One barrel.

Also be aware that it is illegal to take a conch shell, even empty, when out of seoson.

• 3 weeks later...
So, just to clarify... in season, between Sept. 30 and July 1, we can take a conch shell? Thanks!

From the research I did- Conch season is confusing- some sites say it is closed those dates and others say it is open- I am not sure which is which so I think I will just have to ask when I get there. We go in August

Can anyone tell me what items are “must buy” items for Belize? Can be specific food items, liquor, jewelry, etc. Also, if you know a specific store we should get it from that would be great as well.

Thanks!

One Barrel Rum - Get it in the duty free shop at Tourism Village. Don't bother with the factory tour - dark, 3 rooms and rum is not cheaper. Also, at the DF shop you can carry it out. You have to turn in all you don't drink at the seawall! :)

Cashew Wine is a local thing - but try before you buy. I find it yukky.

Archived