Question about extra costs

Marylis

Hi - We are going on our first cruise ever, on Radisson, next week. We just received a brochure from Oceania that seemed to be saying that if we booked by March 30, the transatlantic crossings in March 2006 would be at 2 for 1 prices and include free airfare. That seems like an excellent bargain and we have been wanting to do a crossing.

Most of our research has centered on Radisson. I know alcohol is extra on Oceania, but my question is more about other drinks - water and juice particularly. Is there a charge for both of them? Is there a charge for fitness classes?

Can anyone who has cruised on both Oceania and Radisson tell me what sorts of things we would be paying extra for on Oceania that are included gratis on Radisson?

Thanks much in advance.

Lis

Since you have not been on any cruise yet, I advise you to hold off ocean crossings on any line, not just Oceania. You have to get an idea first of whether you are prone to seasickness, and whether you would like the cruising atmosphere. On a cruise close by the shores or with lots of ports of call, even if you don't feel well at sea, you have lots of "reprieve" when the ship docks, to do whatever you need to. Also, you can get back to land for a while. If you are in the middle of an ocean, and the weather gets rough (which can happen and nobody can predict), then you have had it. More than a week of nothing but the rocking sea! So try some other cruise to see how you react (unless you have other sea experience in the past and know that you can cope) before taking the ultimate step of ocean crossings! Hope this helps.

Been on both. Juice on Oceania at meals is included. Ice tea, coffee and I believe lemonade are always availabe free (at buffet, but always open). Bottled water you have to pay for. Radisson includes these things along with wine at meals and a bar set up in your room. As you get off the ship at every port bottled water is available to take with you (no charge) and at meals, etc. Tips are included on Radisson not on Oceania. Radisson is really a great cruise line, but for the most part you pay for it, unless you find some great deal. I was very pleasantly surprised at how much we enjoyed Oceania. Yes, there are extra costs, but they do not add up to what one would likely pay for Radisson. It is a matter of choice. You need to think about the cost difference and what is best for you. For what I have been looking for lately, I have found Oceania to be a good value. Oceania is better than the mainstream lines for food and the small ship experience. Radisson is great, and apples to apples price wise I would jump at Radisson, it just doesn't seem to be apples to apples.

Thanks for the information, meow! and shipcruise. We will be on our first cruise next week so we will learn whether or not we will actually enjoy the sea days we think we would love. Though we would have to book this Oceania before we left, I believe our deposits would be fully refundable if it turns out we are not good cruisers.

Shipcruise, thanks for the comparison to Radisson. That is very helpful. The more I read about Oceania, it does seem like a good less-expensive alternative to Radisson. I also like the no-smoking policy and that dinner starts serving a bit earlier. I think my biggest concern at this point is it looks like the room service is very limited unless you are in one of the most expensive rooms. Again, I guess we'll find out next week how much we really like to dine in our room!

Lis

Archived