Which ships get closest to Hubbard Glacier?

Sailkeywest

Having returned from our very first Alaskan cruise, hubby and and I already planning another! (I will write a review soon, but have been writing a long one on another site and need to make it more brief for this site)

Anyway, Hubby and I would like to see Hubbard Glacier and College Fjord. We were thinking of doing a one way as we do not know of any 7 day cruises that see both of these sites. We were thinking of maybe Princess going to Hubbard and then doing a College Fjord tour on our own once docking in Whittier.

Any suggestions?

Thank you, as always, for any insight :)

P.S. We had a Deluxe Veranda suite on HAL, and it spoiled us beyond reason. We want to do another for primarily sight seeing, but quality of beds and coffee/cappucino are of importance to us also. We cannot afford to book another full suite if we plan to do this again next year. Any help?

Welcome home Sail - so glad you enjoyed your trip!!

Not sure of the itinerary, but check out the Lanai cabins on the Statendam. Large glass doors that open to the Promenade Deck - biggest balcony on the ship. Two dedicated loungers right outside your door. Many folks on the HAL board say they'd never try them. Me? In a heart beat! Less expensive than a balcony or a suite, but in my opinion, gives you the feeling of a balcony - quick access to the outside for those spectacular views. Something to consider.

Having returned from our very first Alaskan cruise, hubby and and I already planning another! (I will write a review soon, but have been writing a long one on another site and need to make it more brief for this site)

Anyway, Hubby and I would like to see Hubbard Glacier and College Fjord. We were thinking of doing a one way as we do not know of any 7 day cruises that see both of these sites. We were thinking of maybe Princess going to Hubbard and then doing a College Fjord tour on our own once docking in Whittier.

Any suggestions?

Thank you, as always, for any insight :)

P.S. We had a Deluxe Veranda suite on HAL, and it spoiled us beyond reason. We want to do another for primarily sight seeing, but quality of beds and coffee/cappucino are of importance to us also. We cannot afford to book another full suite if we plan to do this again next year. Any help?

From what they were saying last year, how close you get is dependent on the weather, tides, and how many baby seals are on the ice floes. Our ship (Celebrity Mercury) got really close due to a great combination of all the factors. Apparently, days with high overcast give the best viewing. If it's totally sunny, it's so bright it's dazzling.

The captain said it was the closest he's ever been. Then again, maybe they always say that. Isn't it funny that I made it to the Arctic Circle in Norway on the "best weather day ever" that the pilot had done the passage, that the Panama Canal journey was the "top day for the number of other ships in the lakes," etc.? LOL!

Viv

Archived