Skype on FOS

• 2 months later...
Can anybody tell me if it is possible to use Skype on the Freedom of the Seas or about their experience with Skype on a recent cruise?

anybody have a recent experience that can answer this question? is it truly blocked on FOS?

Can anybody tell me if it is possible to use Skype on the Freedom of the Seas or about their experience with Skype on a recent cruise?

Considering the (lack of) available bandwidth, my guess would be no...but I'm also curious, as we've never brought the netbook on a cruise.

It would certainly be cheaper than making a call from the ship's phone, if that were ever necessary.:eek:

I think I'm just going to have to play it by hear and pray it works. I'm leaving my baby and husband for the first time! I really really hope to have video contact. I'll at least be able to find wi fi on St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

I wouldn't plan on it being there.....I don't know of any cruiselines that don't have it blocked...as mentioned--->bandwidth hog. They rather have more people being able to surf than people being able to Skype....that will be left to the ports I'd guess

Enjoy your momma's off partying cruise :D

You can try, but in my experience the internet connections onboard are so slow I expect you wouldn't be able to get Skype audio to work, much less video. Heck, loading a web page is excruciating to watch.

---

Kevin

I wouldn't plan on it being there.....I don't know of any cruiselines that don't have it blocked...as mentioned--->bandwidth hog. They rather have more people being able to surf than people being able to Skype....that will be left to the ports I'd guess

Enjoy your momma's off partying cruise :D

You can try, but in my experience the internet connections onboard are so slow I expect you wouldn't be able to get Skype audio to work, much less video. Heck, loading a web page is excruciating to watch.

---

Kevin

Thanks for both of the responses. @SRQfireman: I hope I do enjoy it! I know I will, it's just hard to think about leaving them. :)

Archived