Kauai rental car help

rowlady

We have a rental car reserved for Kauai for the first day of our 2 day cruise stop and are torn on which route to take. We are debating between Waimea Canyon and the Poipu Beach area OR the North side beaches and Kalulau Trail that leads to the NaPali Coast area. Can anyone help me choose or even offer any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Debbie

We chose the Waimea Canyon and Poipu Beach route. Enjoyed it very much! Make sure you stop by Glass Beach too. One of my favorite stops during the whole cruise!! You can see my review with photos here:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/hawaii-2010/

Click on the first Kauai link. Hope it helps with your decision!

Personally I am more preferential to the North Shore...However one likely wouldn't be disappointed in choosing either route for the day.

Perhaps with some more specific desires listed(For example: Idyll less-populated beaches/snorkeling? versus panoramic vistas) -- Having lived on Kauai for a stint I could assist in making a suggestion for you.

Do you already have plans for the second day?

Thanks Cruisinggoddess - that was the route I was leaning towards as well . And your review is fabulous!

Skai - I greatly appreciate your insider knowledge...........For the 2nd day we are still debating between just walking around the pier area or booking a helicopter tour. Since our ship leaves at 2pm we have decided to return the car the night before. We took a helicopter tour on our honeymoon 23 years ago and i still remember the breathtaking scenery. We also spent our honeymoon on the Poipu Beach area which we loved! We are defintely beach people and we love to snorkle so with that in mind I welcome any advice you might want to offer...

I love Cruise Critic!

Debbie

Well...Waimea cyn's vistas and the lookout above Kalalau are worth seeing... I guess the decision ultimately lays with you...

Along the North Shore I may suggest for beaches.

(Past Hanalei heading towards the end of road - do a google map/image search).

Lumahai Beach -- Least crowded -- very pretty water.

Haena Beach(State park) -- Depends on time of day and/or weekend/weekday as far as crowds -- Very good snorkeling in front of "Tunnels" Surf break -- Area is more protected from wave action due to reef however visibility may still be affected by size of swell for the day.

Ke'e beach park - Often most crowded being at the end of the road and the trailhead location for the Kalalau trail. Finding a spot to park can sometimes be tricky later in the day(and weekends).

Before heading out...One may want to stop in Hanalei and grab picnic supplies/snacks/drinks(there is also a larger supermarket in Princeville) -- As the only other real store is the small General Store in Wainiha.

After a dip in the water? - A RT hike along the remote beach between Ke'e and Haena Beach park to look for sea shells or a medium level hike along the Kalalau trail(Napali Coast) for a 2-3 Hr RT to Hanakapiai. There are also the Limahuli gardens nearby for one's botanical fix.

Of course there is the lighthouse at Kilauea in addition to Kalihiwai bay(nice beach there too) to see along the North shore...Though other than perhaps a quick glance at King Kong and a perhaps another quick look at Anahola I would leave as early in the morning as possible and fly through Kapaa and the entire East/Northeast side on route to Hanalei and beyond.

There's a little info to get you thinking. If you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer.

Archived