Tidepooling shoes - advice needed!

kabukijuul

I am from South Florida and completely out of my element on Alaskan/cooler climate things...

We are planning to go on a tidepooling excursion in Homer with two adults and a 5 yr old and 3 yr old boy. Can we get away with using winter boots that are waterproof rubber halfway up the foot and "water resistant" to lower shin. Or do we really need to buy/lug wellie type of boots?

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated!!

your tour sounds interesting. what is tidepooling?? if i knew what it consisted of perhaps we can help you. i have done normal walking and touring in alaska in may, june and sept and have gotten away with tennis shoes that have been sprayed with a water restitant product.

I am from South Florida and completely out of my element on Alaskan/cooler climate things...

We are planning to go on a tidepooling excursion in Homer with two adults and a 5 yr old and 3 yr old boy. Can we get away with using winter boots that are waterproof rubber halfway up the foot and "water resistant" to lower shin. Or do we really need to buy/lug wellie type of boots?

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated!!

Are you going on your own or with a guide? We go tidepooling in CA often year round (hubby a marine bio professor) and the water here isn't too warm either as the jet stream comes down from AK. It really depends on your cold tolerance, how low the tide goes, and the terrain and topography of the tidepool. If it is really low tide and the rocks are exposed, you just need sturdy shoes that don't necessarily need to be waterproof. Do you know the tide info for the day you are there?

We are going with a guide from the Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies. We were told that it was an extremely low tide that day...I show it as -0.91.

Then you should ask the guides directly as they know the location. Some tide pools have rocky outcroppings with pools in between, others not. But it seems like a lot of effort to bring wellies in precious luggage space for a few hours. If you need them, see if you can buy them in Homer or the previous port. If it were me, I would just get wet and wear a pair of water shoes/Keens and bring warm socks and shoes with you. I have done that before in the winter in Ca when the water temps are in the 50's. I don't think Ak water is much colder than that in the summer. My hubby wears neoprene dive booties sometimes. They are much more compact, but not cheap.

Thank you so much...I think that I am going to buy some cheap ones in Anchorage the day before rather than attempt to bring them in my luggage. We pay top dollar for this type of thing anyway in Florida because no one wears them here!

Your guide may provide boots, but if not there are good shopping opportunities in Anchorage from the typical choice of Walmart to specialty stores.

Be sure to take along your heavy socks so you can try the boots on for fit with the correct socks.

Your tour sounds wonderful!

Often, if an excursion requires special gear, it will be provided for you. Last year we went on the Eagle Preserve rafting trip in Haines (while in Skagway) and they provided boots, life jackets... and rain ponchos when it started pouring.

I'd check with the tour company to see what you need and if it is provided.

Archived