tips

anjanetted

it's apparent what you are trying to do squeezing 5 into a room.

this means for every two rooms, there is not twice as much trash, and we should all tip half. a

and btw, they clean your room twice a day.

i hear birds.

The poster gave you HIS OPINION....and you gave YOURS....so are you convinced you can change his mind or WHAT?

FYI,

The young children the OP refers to are 21, 15, and 7 and is already on her cruise from San Juan. I guess she was shocked when she saw the daily charge on her S&S card the first night of the cruise. Maybe they should have only flown into San Jaun one day prior to their cruise instead of three.

I would assume that your thoughts on THEIR vacation is obsolete......:rolleyes:

Apparently there are some big tippers out there! If I were on a land vacation I would never leave 350 dollars in tips at dinner in zeven days. I don't leave the lady who cleans my hotel room a tip, that's just part of what I paid for. I also take care of my own luggage. I am not sure why kids would cause them more problems, mine wouldn't because I make sure of that. I am not saying they don't deserve tips but it is still a lot.

It is a chunk of money. Nobody said having kids was cheap.

Kids are people too ;) You bring 'em, you need to pay for 'em.

FYI,

The young children the OP refers to are 21, 15, and 7 .

*shakeshead* And she didn't realize she'd have to tip for these 'kids'??

For Pete's sake. :rolleyes: I thought she was talking about toddlers or something.

I understand what a lot of you are saying but for me its still a lot. I don't let other people watch my kids, I take care of them myself. Also, except for dinner the other meals are buffet type and I usually clean up after myself when I am done. I realize a lot of people do use the kids programs and such though, and with so many guests I guess they have to even it out someway. Oh well, not going to fret over that...too excited to be cruising!

You can also apply the OBC of $190. you received for price drops on the early saver rates. JUST SAYING :p

FYI,

The young children the OP refers to are 21, 15, and 7 and is already on her cruise from San Juan. I guess she was shocked when she saw the daily charge on her S&S card the first night of the cruise. Maybe they should have only flown into San Jaun one day prior to their cruise instead of three.

Reading the OP's history, her *children* (excluding the now 8 year old) are hardly young-- 21 is an adult without any question, however her $10/pp pd may be more expensive based on a subsequest reply from her on another posting.. she may end up with a bunch of NSF/Overdraft fees. I am all for memories for my kids, however they are based on living within my family's means. I hope she also realized that Tips are customary for Room Service and Excursions.

Just wondering if they bill your card anything right away. I only have a debit card and took all cash out to come on the trip. My card will have no money on it until Wednesday.

I have no problem tipping per-person for dining and the other services, but I don't believe the room steward should be rewarded with $17.50 per night to clean my room just because there are 5 of us in it.

My opinion:

That is truly deplorable.

it's apparent what you are trying to do squeezing 5 into a room.

this means for every two rooms, there is not twice as much trash, and we should all tip half.

and btw, they clean your room twice a day.

i hear birds.

Yes, I'm obviously putting five into one room to save costs. Tipping was the last thing on my mind when I booked the room; however, once I'm booked to travel with five in a room, I plan to tip in an amount that I feel appropriate for a single interior room...that amount is NOT $17.50 per day. The people harassing me are probably the same ones who stay in the Grand Suites and think it's fair for them to pay the same $3.50 per guest, per day as the guests in the small, interior rooms with no balconies.

The tip amounts are RECOMMENDED, not required. The only reason they automatically add them on is because they know that many people will otherwise under-tip and they also know that most people will be too embarrassed to manually adjust the tips downward.

Yes, I'm obviously putting five into one room to save costs. Tipping was the last thing on my mind when I booked the room; however, once I'm booked to travel with five in a room, I plan to tip in an amount that I feel appropriate for a single interior room...that amount is NOT $17.50 per day. The people harassing me are probably the same ones who stay in the Grand Suites and think it's fair for them to pay the same $3.50 per guest, per day as the guests in the small, interior rooms with no balconies.

The tip amounts are RECOMMENDED, not required. The only reason they automatically add them on is because they know that many people will otherwise under-tip and they also know that most people will be too embarrassed to manually adjust the tips downward.

Cheap, cheap and cheap.

That's not the only reason. I believe it is for the convenience also. Just another thing I don't need to think about or deal with while I am on vacation;)

My opinion:

That is truly deplorable.

Even if I accepted ALL of the included services (which I don't plan to, since I don't care if our beds are made or the room is vacuumed...all I need are clean towels each day), the steward would spend AT MOST 15 minutes in my room twice each day. That's 30 minutes per day MAXIMUM, and an experienced steward could do it in a lot less. So $17.50 times 30 minutes is an hourly rate of $35 on top of whatever base pay they are receiving (which I know isn't much, but I don't believe to be $0.15 per hour). I'm sorry, but while I appreciate the work that they do, I don't believe it warrants an annual salary in excess of $75,000 per year! Most college graduates, professionals, and skilled laborers don't make that kind of money.

I truly hope that once you get on the cruise you will see how hard your steward and his/her assitant work for you.

People choose to work for what they are paid. They have a CHOICE when they sign their contract. It is MY CHOICE if & how much I CHOOSE to tip. The same is it is YOUR choice how much you choose to spend. None of yours or anyone else's business how much I tip or if I choose to remove them completly. If you feel so High & Mighty about what you tip, let me ask you this then. Why dont you show us your Federal Tax Returns as well. Since you think you should tell us how to spend our money, lets see some about yours.

Tipping is a Indviduals CHOICE. Doesnt matter what anyone else thinks or does. You tip or dont tip however you feel like.

It's not just dinner. It's breakfast lunch snacks and dinner plus all the other amenities on the ship 350 is a bargain for 5 people.

Apparently there are some big tippers out there! If I were on a land vacation I would never leave 350 dollars in tips at dinner in zeven days. I don't leave the lady who cleans my hotel room a tip, that's just part of what I paid for. I also take care of my own luggage. I am not sure why kids would cause them more problems, mine wouldn't because I make sure of that. I am not saying they don't deserve tips but it is still a lot.

WOW... AMAZING... My family & I have been cruising since the kids were infants and HAVE ALWAYS PRE-PAID the tips, never ever removing them in 20 + cruises...

Our next cruise is with 18 people... do the math 18 x $10 day x $ 5 days (in this case, most times its a 7 day cruise) is $900.. Are we going to remove it? ABSOLUTELY NOT....

It's just something that we knew was there and add it in the price of the cruise... If you can afford it, please do not remove the tips...

Even if I accepted ALL of the included services (which I don't plan to, since I don't care if our beds are made or the room is vacuumed...all I need are clean towels each day), the steward would spend AT MOST 15 minutes in my room twice each day. That's 30 minutes per day MAXIMUM, and an experienced steward could do it in a lot less. So $17.50 times 30 minutes is an hourly rate of $35 on top of whatever base pay they are receiving (which I know isn't much, but I don't believe to be $0.15 per hour). I'm sorry, but while I appreciate the work that they do, I don't believe it warrants an annual salary in excess of $75,000 per year! Most college graduates, professionals, and skilled laborers don't make that kind of money.

I am speechless.........yes even me.....speechless:rolleyes:

Please do the steward a favor and keep your "Do not disturb" sign on and go grab fresh towels off the cart yourself......

I can't even imagine what your toilet will look/smell like at the end of the week:eek:

The Carnival camp workers that watch your kids while you enjoy your cruise (if you use them) are not in the tip pool. You have to tip them seperately.

Ooh, that's one I hadn't thought about. I plan to use Carnival Camp so how much is suggested/expected? Are you supposed to swing by there on the last day or tip when picking up your child each time?

Let me set you strait. I sail in the cheapest cabin and they tips are well deserved. And a average dinner out here warrants a 15-20 tip.

And cleaning up after 4 adults and a young child is different that 3 young kids. Just say, I under budgeted and am going to skimp on tips. be honest and stop with the excuses.

If you come to cruise critic you knew about the tips. You didn't think they applied to you. Unless you do not use a service of someone you should keep the tips on. Chaging out towels for 5 and cleanign the bathroom etc after 5 is work. And they do it twice a day.

You do have a right to do what you want with tips, but do not come here and expect people to feel bad for you and exaggerate a story ( 3 young children?) You will get told how the majority of the people think it should be. And it will not be what you think is right. I do hope you or any of your children work in the service industry some day to see just how much this affects people lives.

Please do the steward a favor and keep your "Do not disturb" sign on and go grab fresh towels off the cart yourself......

I can't even imagine what your toilet will look/smell like at the end of the week:eek:

Why? Does your toilet at home look and smell bad if you don't have a maid taking care of it for you? Not all of us have personal maids and, believe it or not, our toilets aren't covered in waste or smelling up our bathrooms!

Let me set you strait. I sail in the cheapest cabin and they tips are well deserved. And a average dinner out here warrants a 15-20 tip.

And cleaning up after 4 adults and a young child is different that 3 young kids. Just say, I under budgeted and am going to skimp on tips. be honest and stop with the excuses.

If you come to cruise critic you knew about the tips. You didn't think they applied to you. Unless you do not use a service of someone you should keep the tips on. Chaging out towels for 5 and cleanign the bathroom etc after 5 is work. And they do it twice a day.

You do have a right to do what you want with tips, but do not come here and expect people to feel bad for you and exaggerate a story ( 3 young children?) You will get told how the majority of the people think it should be. And it will not be what you think is right. I do hope you or any of your children work in the service industry some day to see just how much this affects people lives.

Not sure where the three young children came from. Mine are 14, 14, and 15. And part of packing 5 of us into one cabin is staying clean and organized so we have room to breath. Our room won't need the assistance of a steward, other than to provide us with clean towels. However, I intend to tip AT LEAST as much as Carnival feels is appropriate for a similar room with 2 people. If you feel I should pay somebody the equivalent of more than $75,000 per year to make a bed and wipe a counter, simply because I have five guests in the same size room that other people put two in, that's is your opinion. Mine differs. Discussion over (at least for me).

Not sure where the three young children came from. Mine are 14, 14, and 15. And part of packing 5 of us into one cabin is staying clean and organized so we have room to breath. Our room won't need the assistance of a steward, other than to provide us with clean towels. However, I intend to tip AT LEAST as much as Carnival feels is appropriate for a similar room with 2 people. If you feel I should pay somebody the equivalent of more than $75,000 per year to make a bed and wipe a counter, simply because I have five guests in the same size room that other people put two in, that's is your opinion. Mine differs. Discussion over (at least for me).

When you and your family dine out do you only tip on the first $20 of the bill?

Say it so! :eek:

Seriously, say what you will, people in the service industries count on tips to make a decent living. Everyone knows this is so. All the prices you pay are based on that.

My daughter works as a waitress while in college and makes $2.58 an hour. Is that minimum wage? No! She gets taxed on $9.00, based on what the IRS estimates based on tips. When you tip below the customary amount, you are taking from someones pocket.

While I won't tip for bad service, I don't balance my checkbook on the backs of my server and then say "It didn't knock my socks off" so I tipped below the customary amount. Don't try to make feeble justifications for reducing your tips unless you experienced truly BAD service.

Most of the people who reduce or eliminate tips are just cheap. IMHO

Why? Does your toilet at home look and smell bad if you don't have a maid taking care of it for you? Not all of us have personal maids and, believe it or not, our toilets aren't covered in waste or smelling up our bathrooms!

Will you be packing toilet cleaner:confused: Do you all 5 of you live in a house the size of a cruise cabin and is your only bathroom the size of a cabin bathroom on a ship:confused:

Personally I can't even imagine 5 people in a cabin let alone using the same small bathroom:eek:

Where are you pulling this figure out of:confused:

Archived