tips

anjanetted

If that's the case, wait til he sees how 'comfy' 5 in an interior cabin is going to be.....

Especially if they dont let the steward in every day & night to put the beds up & down. I dont think you can do it youself, there is some sort of a key I believe to keep them locked up & unlocked to put down... If they have cruised before then they get it i"m sure & if they haven't maybe they just don't understand how it will be..

Also she/he says they don't want to pay full tips for what they can do themselves. How will they get the cleaning supplies for the bathroom, clean sheets, a vacuum, ice, clean glasses, more toilet paper. Maybe ask the steward to to borrow his supplies each day?? I just don't know. I have honestly never heard of someone not wanting cabin service before, but I guess if they find a way to do it themselves then reducing the tips isn't so awful:confused:

I hope that you and anyone else who plans on removing tips (either completely or even a portion) even before you board has enough guts to do it when you first board and not on the last day. Might as well, so the staff is aware just how much you think of them and their worth.

They do not let you adjust the tips until the last or second to last day of the cruise.

Thats great news... I was prepared to stop at the bank for a 50 pack of $1 for room service and such. Just needed to ensure we planned right for any extra unknown's.

Thanks all!!!

But still a good idea to have $1 bills to give to those who DO go the extra mile when you need something. ;)

Especially if they dont let the steward in every day & night to put the beds up & down. I dont think you can do it youself, there is some sort of a key I believe to keep them locked up & unlocked to put down... If they have cruised before then they get it i"m sure & if they haven't maybe they just don't understand how it will be..

Also she/he says they don't want to pay full tips for what they can do themselves. How will they get the cleaning supplies for the bathroom, clean sheets, a vacuum, ice, clean glasses, more toilet paper. Maybe ask the steward to to borrow his supplies each day?? I just don't know. I have honestly never heard of someone not wanting cabin service before, but I guess if they find a way to do it themselves then reducing the tips isn't so awful:confused:

I seriously doubt this person has any intention of cleaning up that cabin every day....or any day for that matter.

Only when they put it out there on a public forum for the sole purpose of causing contention - and then changing around the argument for such behavior so much that it doesn't make sense. If you're gonna put it out there, state your case and be done with it. "I don't want to pay the cabin steward tips, therefore I will not be using ANY OF cabin steward's services."

...and the "Diva" in your screen name tells us volumes about you. :rolleyes:

And now that I've reduced myself to joining in with the namecalling, I'll remove myself from commenting again...at least for now.

What does my avatar say about me:confused: I asked you a question and you answered it.....I just agreed with you....why would I call you a name:confused:

And who cares?? :confused:

I didn't comment because anyone here cares what kind of congestion this family will be living in for 5 days, I answered a question....the one highlighted in red that I quoted. But, like Midlothian said, I wager the cabin steward will care that he/she will have to clean up that cabin before the next cruise after not maintaining it all week AND got stiffed 3/5 of their tip on top of that.

They do not let you adjust the tips until the last or second to last day of the cruise.

Then they should have a bit of integrity and tell the Housekeeping Manager and stewards upon boarding. All it would be is leaving a note at the front desk. It's chicken #### to wait until the end when they know ahead of time.

I bet they HAVE been on a cruise. They just disagree with you, and your tipping habits. Is it that hard to believe they have a different view point on the matter?

I'm a first time cruiser (and first time poster on this forum) and I believe I'm more confused by the "Bucket Brigade" I'll be traveling with than I am with all of the cruise-related stuff! LOL

Do you ask that question when you dine at a restaurant or when you go for a haircut????

It is common practice for an employer to pay minimum wages or less to tipped employees.

Unless I receive subpar service I always left a 20% tip no questions asked for restaurants so I don't have to ask that question. As far as hairstylists go, at least for my stylists, there is no "minimum wage" they get paid per head so that's not relevant to this discussion IMHO.

Ive seen comments on several tip threads suggest that cruisers pay autotips solely because it is customary & we all know they don't make a lot of $ - not based on how good/bad the service is. THAT is primarily what I'm talking about.

Although I would wait and see what type of service I receive before deciding whether or not to remove autotips, I wouldn't label someone based on how they spend their money. And if anybody is making $ off the backs of workers, it's the Carnvial corporation. They could easily pay their workers more money but choose not to.

And to be honest its these tip threads that make me wonder why companies get away with not paying their employees more. Why service industry employees should have to make less than minimum and depend on customers to supplement the difference. Never seriously thought about it before because I knew I didn't want to make my money that way.

Unless I receive subpar service I always left a 20% tip no questions asked for restaurants so I don't have to ask that question. As far as hairstylists go, at least for my stylists, there is no "minimum wage" they get paid per head so that's not relevant to this discussion IMHO.

Ive seen comments on several tip threads suggest that cruisers pay autotips solely because it is customary & we all know they don't make a lot of $ - not based on how good/bad the service is. THAT is primarily what I'm talking about.

Although I would wait and see what type of service I receive before deciding whether or not to remove autotips, I wouldn't label someone based on how they spend their money. And if anybody is making $ off the backs of workers, it's the Carnvial corporation. They could easily pay their workers more money but choose not to.

And to be honest its these tip threads that make me wonder why companies get away with not paying their employees more. Why service industry employees should have to make less than minimum and depend on customers to supplement the difference. Never seriously thought about it before because I knew I didn't want to make my money that way.

That's the $100,000 question. The reason many Europeans and people from countries outside of N. America don't tip is because there is no tipping in their home countries. They are paid a living wage to these jobs. I'd probably be even MORE inclined to tip someone who was making a decent wage who provided me with excellent service because my gratuity would hold more meaning as opposed to doing so out of a feeling of custom or obligation.

EDITED TO ADD: However, having said that, this IS the norm, and it IS the custom industry-wide. So until that changes, that's that. People adhere to all other sorts of customs while traveling (and if they don't they're considered ignorant or rude), why is this custom such a bone of contention? The ship is its own little country and it has customs.

I have an issue with people who try to use every excuse in the book from "it's not my problem that Carnival pays their employees so little" to the "I don't think that it is justfiable to pay for kids" that drive me crazy.

Look, don't let Carnival tips "drive you crazy" as there are much more important things to be worrying about in life, trust me.

Ok, first of all, I was a hairdresser for a LOT of years so I know personally how they are paid and believe me when I tell you that the pay sucks....per head/per day/per whatever, it doesn't matter. The tips are what makes it a career worth having...if it weren't for the tips, I'd have been on federal assistance. My point is, cruise lines are not the only ones who pay 'tipped' employees a very small salary, as you implied...my comment was a response to yours and was very much relevant to what you said. ;)

Just wanted to add based on my last sentence, that I do realize cruise employees don't have the same choices/opportunities we have

Since you don't understand how working like this is, then I wonder why you even make a comment on it (as your last paragraph)...Just because you don't understand the idea of depending on tips doesn't mean other people don't love these types of jobs. It's fabulous to be honest....unless you have too many clients like the poster(s) in question here that is...

If you are really good at what you do, you can make fabulous money. You get what you deserve...you work hard, you work well, you make a ton. It's the absolute fairest way to make a living imo. Hairdresser, waiter, bartender...whatever. You get exactly what you put into it.

Heck, If I ever had to go back to work, I think I would LOVE to tend bar. :D

I do agree 100% that tipping should be based on performance....and I, like you would only remove tips if the performance was bad. I also don't think anyone should tip because they think the crew are poor, away from their families or tip out of pity (I find that awful and just as disgusting as a matter of fact) BUT the poster in question is removing tips for the opposite reason which is just as bad...He thinks the crew make too much. He 'calculated' the auto tips and didn't like the (what he considers) large figure he came up with for each cabin steward.

What the crew makes is not something that anyone should be trying to figure out, one way OR the other just to gauge how or what to tip OR whether to tip at all....This is my point.

The tips are put on automatically. If the crew does their job well, the tips should remain. Only if they don't do their job should the tip be removed.

That's the $100,000 question. The reason many Europeans and people from countries outside of N. America don't tip is because there is no tipping in their home countries. They are paid a living wage to these jobs. I'd probably be even MORE inclined to tip someone who was making a decent wage who provided me with excellent service because my gratuity would hold more meaning as opposed to doing so out of a feeling of custom or obligation.

EDITED TO ADD: However, having said that, this IS the norm, and it IS the custom industry-wide. So until that changes, that's that. People adhere to all other sorts of customs while traveling (and if they don't they're considered ignorant or rude), why is this custom such a bone of contention? The ship is its own little country and it has customs.

Agreed! and nobody had to call anybody anything derogatory to make that happen. How refreshing ;)

Ok, first of all, I was a hairdresser for a LOT of years so I know personally how they are paid and believe me when I tell you that the pay sucks....per head/per day/per whatever, it doesn't matter. The tips are what makes it a career worth having...if it weren't for the tips, I'd have been on federal assistance. My point is, cruise lines are not the only ones who pay 'tipped' employees a very small salary, as you implied...my comment was a response to yours and was very much relevant to what you said. ;)

Since you don't understand how working like this is, then I wonder why you even make a comment on it (as your last paragraph)...Just because you don't understand the idea of depending on tips doesn't mean other people don't love these types of jobs. It's fabulous to be honest....unless you have too many people like the poster(s) in question here that is...

If you are really good at what you do, you can make fabulous money. You get what you deserve...you work hard, you work well, you make a ton. It's the absolute fairest way to make a living imo. Hairdresser, waiter, bartender...whatever. You get exactly what you put into it.

I do agree 100% that tipping should be based on performance....and I, like you would only remove tips if the performance was bad. I also don't think anyone should tip because they think the crew are poor, away from their families or tip out of pity (I find that awful and just as disgusting as a matter of fact) BUT the poster in question is removing tips for the opposite reason which is just as bad...He thinks the crew make too much. He 'calculated' the auto tips and didn't like the (what he considers) large figure he came up with for each cabin steward.

What the crew makes is not something that anyone should be trying to figure out, one way OR the other just to gauge how or what to tip OR whether to tip at all....This is my point.

The tips are put on automatically. If the crew does their job well, the tips should remain. Only if they don't do their job should the tip be removed.

Apparently that's what one person here is banking on - preventing them from doing their job.

Apparently that's what one person here is banking on - preventing them from doing their job.

The sad thing is that even if he puts the do not disturb sign up for the entire 5 days, that cabin will need to be cleaned before he gets on the ship and after her and his family of five get off...so that steward is going to do their job and will not be tipped for it.

The maintenance cleaning that the steward does every day will not get done, so the end cleaning job will take longer than it should.

...sucks for that cabin steward, that is for sure.

Technically, you don't have to pay the $10 per day per person gratuities. You can have the "fees" reduced, increased, or removed from your account while on board. However, I would never in a million years reduce or remove the gratuity charges. They work for peanuts and deserve all the tips they get.

That said, I wouldn't "pre-pay" the gratuities either. If the crew knows you already paid, there might be less incentive to provide the best service possible. If you keep them guessing, they are more likely to work hard to earn those tips.

As a former waiter, working through college in my 20's, if I got paid my tips up front and knew they were guaranteed, why would I go the extra mile for anyone? Same principle here with pre-paid gratuities IMO.

OP, If you can't afford the gratuities, you shouldn't be cruising.

On a side note, I'd be interested to know if certain groups of people commonly stiff the crew completely and remove all gratuities from their accounts. If you've ever been a waiter, you know what I'm talking about.

Okay! :rolleyes:

Since you don't understand how working like this is, then I wonder why you even make a comment on it (as your last paragraph)...Just because you don't understand the idea of depending on tips doesn't mean other people don't love these types of jobs. It's fabulous to be honest....unless you have too many people like the poster(s) in question here that is...

I never said I didn't understand why people do customer service type work. What I said (meant - may have been misconstrued) was I couldn't do it because I know how the game works, and I'm not willing to play.

What I don't understand is how companies get away with paying slave wages and then put it on the customer to make up the difference. I completely agree that it would be fantastic for these folks to make a good salary AND receive tips on top of that. Have friends in the hair and restaurant industries & you're right they can make good money when they enjoy what they do and work hard at it - like any other job. But there is a difference when you get paid a base minimum wage salary, regardless of how many customers you have/don't have. It's a check regardless of how many customers you have, and at least in my circles that makes a difference. But it is what it is & as someone else said, the model isn't gonna change anytime soon.

We're 13-14 pages in now, so I don't even remember who the OP is or what he/she said LOL. Agreed that we shouldn't be trying to figure out what the crew makes, but many posters base their tipping arguments on what they make so ... it's a double edged sword and I'm gonna stop reading these threads because its the same old same old will just concentrate on the fact that we cruise in 38 days! :D

The sad thing is that even if he puts the do not disturb sign up for the entire 5 days, that cabin will need to be cleaned before he gets on the ship and after her and his family of five get off...so that steward is going to do their job and will not be tipped for it.

The maintenance cleaning that the steward does every day will not get done, so the end cleaning job will take longer than it should.

...sucks for that cabin steward, that is for sure.

So it takes longer to vacuum a rug at the end if it wasn't vacuumed for the five days prior? It takes longer to wipe a counter, toilet, and sink than it would it if was wiped each of the previous 5 days? Now you've just got me playing devil's advocate, but let's be real here. The cleanup at the end is going to be the exact same as it would have been if the steward was doing it all along. Anyone who creates so much mess in five days that it would make a more difficult room to clean is obviously a pretty filthy person. Some of us pick up after ourselves as we go along and don't create a giant mess.

And let's get back to my original claims, since you all seem to have developed my story into something it wasn't. I never said I wasn't going to allow the stewards into the room at all, nor did I claim I wasn't going to tip them. What I said was that I wasn't necessarily going to request all of the services (bedmaking, turndown, vacuuming, etc.) and I wasn't planning to pay $17.50 per night for a small interior room. What I claimed I was going to do is pay MORE than what the steward would receive for my same room if we were only two guests for LESS work than the steward would have to perform in a typical room with two guests. The steward does less work and gets more pay. I'm not being cheap. I'm being realistic.

Since you don't understand how working like this is, then I wonder why you even make a comment on it (as your last paragraph)...Just because you don't understand the idea of depending on tips doesn't mean other people don't love these types of jobs. It's fabulous to be honest....unless you have too many clients like the poster(s) in question here that is...

Heck, If I ever had to go back to work, I think I would LOVE to tend bar. :D

I agree completely with your thoughts on tipping. Name a better way to consistently reward good service.

I'm surprised that people think the problem lies in the "company" not paying more. If they did away with tips then the cost of the cruise would go up in order to keep and attract good employees. At least with tipping, I have input in the process. The good staff get more than the bad staff. What could be more fair? Fair until someone comes along and decides that they are going to create a new custom and adjust the amount based on a reason other than the quality of the service, the hallmark of the tipping theory. Whether you pay it in the form of a tip or it's rolled into the cruise, you will end up paying the same....unless you have decided that the staff is making too much.

Archived