tips

anjanetted

As everyone is well aware, folks don't always do research - right, wrong or indifferent, they don't. Out of the 15 people I'm cruising with (some new to cruising, some not) I'm the ONLY one researching. And as you can tell from this thread alone, not everyone feels embarassment about their tipping habits.

Further, an employee shouldn't have to rely on any of that to make a decent salary. But I digress ....

Like some feel those who don't pay their tips (for whatever reason) are cheap or whatever, I'll say the companies are cheap for not paying a decent salary. JMHO.

I think you are just stuck on how service employee's are paid. You can't seem to get past this. The reason is so employers can keep their costs down for their customers and at the same time gives employee's an opportunity to make a great amount of money without requiring alot of education or experience. Believe me working on tips can generate alot more money then say paying them $10.00 and hour.

There is no excuse for not doing research. My first cruise was before I even had a computer. All I had was a small booklet my TA gave me. I read it from front to back because I was clueless. The day we boarded our ship I counted out and separated all the tip money and put it in the safe. That way I knew I would have the money at the end of the cruise to give out......now you have the internet and ahve all the info at your fingertips.......there is no excuse for not doing research.......wrong IMO......

Well I need to throw my 2 cents in too ;)

We are a family of 4 that love to cruise. Do I love to have the added cost of tips to pay when we get home NO! I could pre-pay them but we normally book close to sail date and it takes a big enough hit to pay in full for the cruise. So the tips go on credit card and are paid off later. Just how we deal with it.

I love the service we get and I think it's worth every penny. I personally dont like the way its divided but hey its not for me to judge. I just pay it and from time to time make sure those who treated me or my fam extra special or dealt with a extra mess or what have you get a thank in form of cold hard cash!!

At home......

I do not make my beds every day - on vacation I love having a freshly made bed. Plus it makes our small cabin look neater.

I do not clean my bathroom daily. On vacation I love that it is. At home we have 4 people and 2 bathrooms so they do not dirty as fast.

I do not vacum each day. I especailly love it after we spent the day at the beach. No matter how much I try to rinse sand off before we board the ship we always have a sand box on our floors and in the showers.

etc....

We are clean and tidy people. I do not feel having a room steward clean twice daily is a reason to be a slob. We do though appericate the job they do.

I love coming into the room after dinner and finding the animal sitting there waiting to be photgraphed. I love the candy on the bed and the daily papers I need.

My family feels they earn every dollar they make and there tips. Not to mention how hard it is to do there job. They have to shuffle between rooms as not everyone has the same schedules especailly in the AM it has to be hard getting all rooms done as people leave the rooms at different times. Plus quite often they get interupted doing there job by either another guest asking for immediate help or guests of the room returning to do what they need.

As far as tipping less as we have more in our room or less... to me its crazy but to each there own. But do remember one day one the steward will make up your room according to the number of guests. If there where 2 they would not have to put down extra beds, roll in beds, or make up couches. On the last day they will also have to remake the couch, remove the roll a way, put the bunks back. That takes more time for sure having more people per room. They will also have to exchange more towels and drinkware.

To me it's far fetched they do less work cleaning a room for 2 than a room for more no matter the size. But I have never cleaned for a living. I do know it's way easier to clean my house when the kids are away than it is when they are home.

I will not call names to those who feel they do not deserve it. But I will sit here and think it!:D I do hope to those who do not feel they need to tip one day will get the service they pay for. Maybe one day they will get such great service they will know each ship employee is set up to earn a % of $10 per day.

And on a side note.... where the heck do you find cruise fare for 5 so darn cheap? I can't find a cruise for my family for less than $1,000. We normally pay well over that!!!

And on a side note.... where the heck do you find cruise fare for 5 so darn cheap? I can't find a cruise for my family for less than $1,000. We normally pay well over that!!!

He's got 5 people in an interior cabin and the cruise is only for 5 days.

I think you are just stuck on how service employee's are paid. You can't seem to get past this. The reason is so employers can keep their costs down for their customers and at the same time gives employee's an opportunity to make a great amount of money without requiring alot of education or experience. Believe me working on tips can generate alot more money then say paying them $10.00 and hour.

There is no excuse for not doing research. My first cruise was before I even had a computer. All I had was a small booklet my TA gave me. I read it from front to back because I was clueless. The day we boarded our ship I counted out and separated all the tip money and put it in the safe. That way I knew I would have the money at the end of the cruise to give out......now you have the internet and ahve all the info at your fingertips.......there is no excuse for not doing research.......wrong IMO......

Yeah I get it about keeping cost down for their customers, just not convinced as to whether that's the company party line that some have bought into, or the whole truth. Since I'm not a Carnival stockholder, I'll never really know. My friend who was a waitress during college days truly believed that if she received a salary along with tips, even if it was just minimum wage, she wouldn't have had to work as hard and not rely on tips from those who couldn't or wouldn't tip for whatever reason.

I said earlier I'd be willing to pay more for the cruise to get employers a higher salary AND hope they'd keep getting tips. And I'd think doing it that way would still get those without a lot of education/experience these jobs because the bottom line is the work is something most people do not want to do. But it is what it is.

I wholeheartedly agree on the research part of your post. I don't understand that at all & hate when folks I travel with who don't research ask me what to do or where to go because they didn't even try to find out any info.

As everyone is well aware, folks don't always do research - right, wrong or indifferent, they don't. Out of the 15 people I'm cruising with (some new to cruising, some not) I'm the ONLY one researching. And as you can tell from this thread alone, not everyone feels embarassment about their tipping habits.

Further, an employee shouldn't have to rely on any of that to make a decent salary. But I digress ....

Like some feel those who don't pay their tips (for whatever reason) are cheap or whatever, I'll say the companies are cheap for not paying a decent salary. JMHO.

The companies can decide to ENSURE they pay "a decent salary" (in addition to housing, feeding & providing medical care for their employees). They can do it 1 of 2 ways. 1, they can make the autotips mandatory or 2, they can do away with them & charge each passenger $10 more per day.

Yeah I get it about keeping cost down for their customers, just not convinced as to whether that's the company party line that some have bought into, or the whole truth. Since I'm not a Carnival stockholder, I'll never really know. My friend who was a waitress during college days truly believed that if she received a salary along with tips, even if it was just minimum wage, she wouldn't have had to work as hard and not rely on tips from those who couldn't or wouldn't tip for whatever reason.

I said earlier I'd be willing to pay more for the cruise to get employers a higher salary AND hope they'd keep getting tips. And I'd think doing it that way would still get those without a lot of education/experience these jobs because the bottom line is the work is something most people do not want to do. But it is what it is.

I wholeheartedly agree on the research part of your post. I don't understand that at all & hate when folks I travel with who don't research ask me what to do or where to go because they didn't even try to find out any info.

It's no dirty little secret.......:DThat is the truth. It's across the boards for all service industries....not just cruiselines.

If you had an incentive......wouldn't you work harder towards it? If you just got the same small pay check every week would you work just as hard? Believe me some of our family have been in the restaurant business for years and they never had a shortage of service employee's. I have a friend who works at a private restaurant in Disneyland who makes minimum wage and brings home a 6 figure income........

It's no dirty little secret.......:DThat is the truth. It's across the boards for all service industries....not just cruiselines.

If you had an incentive......wouldn't you work harder towards it? If you just got the same small pay check every week would you work just as hard? Believe me some of our family have been in the restaurant business for years and they never have a shortage of service employee's. I have a friend who works at a private restaurant in Disneyland who makes minimum wage and brings home a 6 figure income........

Exactly...I don't know why people think this needs to be changed. It benefits everyone.

I don't get it...people have ostrich syndrome. If that measly $10 pp/pd was added to their cruise fare and they were told 'Gratuities are included', no one would balk ....everything would be the same, but the cost would not be seperate, it would be 'hidden', so they'd feel better about it.

wth???????????????????

'If I don't see it, it's not there.'

:rolleyes:

I felt the same way about the fuel surcharge....now instead of paying for that fuel on top of the cruise fare, CCL passengers pay for it in cutbacks.

One way or another you pay. But people think they're getting away with it now.

LOL...yeah right.

Like I said, ostrich.

Exactly...I don't know why people think this needs to be changed. It benefits everyone.

I don't get it...people have ostrich syndrome. If that measly $10 pp/pd was added to their cruise fare and they were told 'Gratuities are included', no one would balk ....everything would be the same, but the cost would not be seperate, it would be 'hidden', so they'd feel better about it.

wth???????????????????

'If I don't see it, it's not there.'

:rolleyes:

I felt the same way about the fuel surcharge....now instead of paying for that fuel on top of the cruise fare, CCL passengers pay for it in cutbacks.

One way or another you pay. But people think they're getting away with it now.

LOL...yeah right.

Like I said, ostrich.

yes, but these heads are not in the sand.

OMG... I thought it was for 7 days... so we're not even talking $70pp, we're talking $50???

Yup...$50 x 5 people. problem is, his cruise fare is so cheap and he is using that as a gauge...so to him, the percentage is too high.

Most people would be greatful to get a 5 day cruise so cheap and then consider the added $250 for tips as not a big deal on top of a low cruise fare.....but this poster sees $250 as a large chunk when comparing it to the base fare.

The tips have nothing to do with the fare....he doesn't get that.

It is per person, not a percentage of the cabin cost. This is where he is going wrong.

If you had an incentive......wouldn't you work harder towards it? If you just got the same small pay check every week would you work just as hard? Believe me some of our family have been in the restaurant business for years and they never have a shortage of service employee's. I have a friend who works at a private restaurant in Disneyland who makes minimum wage and brings home a 6 figure income........

Agreed - for the most part. Based on what I've read on these boards cruise employee salaries are 15 cents per day; $25 week :eek: IF that's true (the only proof I've seen so far is an ancient article someone posted on these boards) then I'm sorry that's beyond providing incentive to work, that's modern day slave wages. BUT I also said to give them a better salary AND keep the tips, so I'd think there'd still be incentive there, because there would still be a chance to make more money. I'm not saying pay them 6 figures, but better than 15 cents per day or $25/week. Not trying to be argumentative, just saying ... :o

just so we're clear, we're NOT talking about OP now, right? We're talking about the Majgogi or whatever his/her name is (that i can't scroll back to find).

so, this person is nit picking over the difference between $10 per night vs. $17.50 per night for 5 nights. $37.50??? (not even the $52.50 that I had originally called out)???

Agreed - for the most part. Based on what I've read on these boards cruise employee salaries are 15 cents per day; $25 week :eek: IF that's true (the only proof I've seen so far is an ancient article someone posted on these boards) then I'm sorry that's beyond providing incentive to work, that's modern day slave wages. BUT I also said to give them a better salary AND keep the tips, so I'd think there'd still be incentive there, because there would still be a chance to make more money. I'm not saying pay them 6 figures, but better than 15 cents per day or $25/week. Not trying to be argumentative, just saying ... :o

Did you also know they get free room and board, health insurance, free meals, discount on drinks etc......

I don't think any of us really know how much their base salary is, I heard it was more like $50 a month. Now you also have to remember they pay no taxes and their conversion rate is outrageous if they are from India or the Phillipines etc......

So take all that into consideration they are making way more money then someone in the states making minimum wage........

Let's also remember that while these folks are working, they are not paying housing or food costs while on the ship. If these employees didn't find the work they do to be helping their families at home, they wouldn't be there. They are making more money than what they could in their homeland.

Technically, you don't have to pay the $10 per day per person gratuities. You can have the "fees" reduced, increased, or removed from your account while on board. However, I would never in a million years reduce or remove the gratuity charges. They work for peanuts and deserve all the tips they get.

That said, I wouldn't "pre-pay" the gratuities either. If the crew knows you already paid, there might be less incentive to provide the best service possible. If you keep them guessing, they are more likely to work hard to earn those tips.

As a former waiter, working through college in my 20's, if I got paid my tips up front and knew they were guaranteed, why would I go the extra mile for anyone? Same principle here with pre-paid gratuities IMO.

OP, If you can't afford the gratuities, you shouldn't be cruising.

On a side note, I'd be interested to know if certain groups of people commonly stiff the crew completely and remove all gratuities from their accounts. If you've ever been a waiter, you know what I'm talking about.

Please explain this.....I'm sure I know where you're going with this....but I really want to hear it from YOU!

According to an article in USA Today:

There are certain cruise line industry standards for tipping. Cruise lines generally recommend these standards to their passengers. Tip amounts can be adjusted up or down, depending on the level of service received, but it's good etiquette to give at least the standard recommended amount unless your service has been exceptionally poor. It's better to complain about the service early in the cruise and give an opportunity for the problem to be corrected rather than saying nothing, then withholding the tip or severely reducing the amount.

So much for etiquette.

I respect everything you are saying and agree with most, but honestly....I think you're beating a dead horse. PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DO WHAT THEY WANT TO DO. Not what you tell them you think they should do.

You seem like a really nice person and I'm sure that you pay your tips......so other than just stating your opinion, why do you think you can change anyone else? If the other person wants to remove their tips....they are going to remove their tips. There is nothing you or I can do or say to change their mind. If you couldn't do it in the first 10 pages of this thread....I seriously doubt you can accomplish your goal in the next 10 pages.

I respect everything you are saying and agree with most, but honestly....I think you're beating a dead horse. PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DO WHAT THEY WANT TO DO. Not what you tell them you think they should do.

You seem like a really nice person and I'm sure that you pay your tips......so other than just stating your opinion, why do you think you can change anyone else? If the other person wants to remove their tips....they are going to remove their tips. There is nothing you or I can do or say to change their mind. If you couldn't do it in the first 10 pages of this thread....I seriously doubt you can accomplish your goal in the next 10 pages.

Honestly, I like debating people (politics, religion, sports, tipping habits, etc. :D), and I think I've done it in a respectful way. Keeps my mind sharp, and, hopefully gets the opposition to think of a better case to use to back their opinion (as it does for me). Unfortunately, Majhong has sort of "disengaged" me and has "engaged" the hooplah people (and has given everyone the runaround with different stories). I guess the failure to engage would declare me the winner in the debate. Not that what I say is right, just that I argued better. ;)

just so we're clear, we're NOT talking about OP now, right? We're talking about the Majgogi or whatever his/her name is (that i can't scroll back to find).

so, this person is nit picking over the difference between $10 per night vs. $17.50 per night for 5 nights. $37.50??? (not even the $52.50 that I had originally called out)???

The discussion has moved to another stiffer.

oops..I mean tipper.

We are going on our first cruise July 31, 2011.

Please tell us if what we are doing is incorrect.

My BF, Leonardo (leothelion on CC) and I prepaid our gratuities when we booked our cruise and thought that was the proper thing to do.

I have read about people giving the Steward $20 or $50 extra at the beginning or end of the cruise. And doing the same to the waitstaff in the MDR.

I told Leonardo that by prepaying we were doing right by the workers. We both know from reading CC that the staff definitely earns their tips.

How will the Steward and MDR staff know we prepaid their tips?

Honestly, I like debating people (politics, religion, sports, tipping habits, etc. :D), and I think I've done it in a respectful way. Keeps my mind sharp, and, hopefully gets the opposition to think of a better case to use to back their opinion (as it does for me). Unfortunately, Majhong has sort of "disengaged" me and has "engaged" the hooplah people (and has given everyone the runaround with different stories). I guess the failure to engage would declare me the winner in the debate. Not that what I say is right, just that I argued better. ;)

Absolutely!

Archived