Day trip from Piraeus with teens PLEASE HELP!!

jeanniedc

Hello. We will be on a Celebrity cruise to Eastern Med. in late July. Since our excursions will include Ephesus and possibly Pompeii, we don't want to "overdose" our teens on ruins. (unfortunately, that's just not their thing, even though they are 17 and 19) We decided not to go into central Athens for our one day in Piraeus. So here is the decision: to take the long trip to Delphi with some interesting non-ancient stops on the way, or to do a tour of Corinth/Pelopponnese/Nafplion, which is shorter, but sounds like we will see mostly ruins and ancient sites. (other than the Canal, of course).

I have a preference for Delphi, but (1) don't want to take any chance to miss the boat departure!, and (2) the 3 Greek guides that I've e-mailed seem to all be pointing away from going to Delphi in favor of the other locations.

Of all the places you mention, Athens is the jewel in the crown. It is, without doubt, the centre of Western Civilisation - and that includes the US.

It is unmissible.

Delphi is beautiful, but it is a long drive. The Corinth et al trip is a lot of ruins and are, of all the Greek ruins you mention, the least impressive. Not to say that they aren't worth seeing (they are) but simply that the others are better.

If your children can't cope with three days of ruins, drop Pompei or Ephesus. You could always do Capri from Naples which is probably more to their liking. Pompei will stay - or go to Ercolano as a half day (it is much more compact) and then go into the city for Pizza and shopping - or the HOHO bus.

But don't miss Athens.

WD

Another beautiful island would be Aegina. The hydrofoil takes only 40 min. from Piraeus, costs around 13 € and is on a walking distance from the cruise ships. We did this trip with our teens and it was appreciated as a nice change to Athens and its high temperatures!.

Some photos from Aegina can be seen here:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/565424890CLosBR

Screwcork

Thanks for your suggestions for Aegina and all the great photos!! My husband and I followed your advise and had a wonderful day with lunch in Aegina!!

Just returned from NOS trip that included pre-cruise Rome, Athens and Ephesus. Two of the ones going, my 19 yoa DD and my 18 yoa niece had sworn ahead of time they did not want to go to ruins more than one day. However, we did a day trip from Rome to Pompeii/Sorrento/Herculaneum (thanks RIL!) and they absolutely loved the ruins. The other two on the trip (14 yoa and 21 yoa) had been looking forward to the ruins and were not disappointed.

They had fussed the entire time about the Acropolis (including griping all the way up), until they got up there! Then their expressions changed and they loved it! By the time they got to the Agora they were very excited.

Same was true for Ephesus. At first they groaned about more ruins and begged for the beach. We were firm and said they would go with us (private tour with Kosagen Tours and Yelda as our guide) to Ephesus & Terrace Houses, the museum, and quick stop at Temple of Artemis. They LOVED it! The Terrace Houses were their favorites!

We just got back this past Sunday. You should have heard my DD explaining all the aspects of the ruins to her friends. I did not realize at the time she was absorbing so much of what our private guides had said. She is trying to make notes on her photos so she does not forget the little details later. She now says she is so grateful to have gone and would not have missed it.

You have to be the judge for your own kids, but just because they complain ahead of time does not always mean they will not end up liking it.

Just returned from NOS trip that included pre-cruise Rome, Athens and Ephesus. Two of the ones going, my 19 yoa DD and my 18 yoa niece had sworn ahead of time they did not want to go to ruins more than one day. However, we did a day trip from Rome to Pompeii/Sorrento/Herculaneum (thanks RIL!) and they absolutely loved the ruins. The other two on the trip (14 yoa and 21 yoa) had been looking forward to the ruins and were not disappointed.

They had fussed the entire time about the Acropolis (including griping all the way up), until they got up there! Then their expressions changed and they loved it! By the time they got to the Agora they were very excited.

Same was true for Ephesus. At first they groaned about more ruins and begged for the beach. We were firm and said they would go with us (private tour with Kosagen Tours and Yelda as our guide) to Ephesus & Terrace Houses, the museum, and quick stop at Temple of Artemis. They LOVED it! The Terrace Houses were their favorites!

We just got back this past Sunday. You should have heard my DD explaining all the aspects of the ruins to her friends. I did not realize at the time she was absorbing so much of what our private guides had said. She is trying to make notes on her photos so she does not forget the little details later. She now says she is so grateful to have gone and would not have missed it.

You have to be the judge for your own kids, but just because they complain ahead of time does not always mean they will not end up liking it.

Great story wantocruisemore. It confirms the general parental saying in life that parents should not always lead their children to where they want to go but rather lead them to where they need to go.

I can't imagine going to Athens and then skipping the Acropolis because you are afraid your children will be bored, especially if you haven't been there before. I have several children myself, and I understand how they are, but I just wouldn't give them a choice here.

If you think it would help, look into hiring a private guide who can make it interesting for them and bring it to life. Get there as early in the morning as you can. Then, take them through the Acropolis museum; you don't have to spend hours there.

Even if you skip the rest of Athens, you really should not miss this.

agreed!!! get those kids up to see the Parthenon...not seeing and climbing up would be like visiting Rome and avoiding the Colesieum.. for no other reason but it is a ruin!!!:eek:

The kids have no say at this port...get them to the Acropolis..the Agora..the Plaka..

Archived