Carnival FANTASY Review...

MrsMck

Hi All! Here is my review of the Fantasy. I will come back and add some other details and pictures. DH and I went on May 9th - May 14th.

Well, I have cruised on Celebrity in the past. Once to Alaska and once to Europe. So, with that said - DH and I are in our late 20's and like the finer things in life... However, DH complained that when we went to Europe, there were too many old folks on the ship and wanted to try something different. He always wanted to give Carnival a try. I was always reluctant to do so. However, we were planning a trip to Myrtle Beach from 5/9 - 5/21. I thought that maybe we could squeeze in a cruise. I did my research and found that Charleston had Carnival Fantasy. I did further research and was disappointed that this was an old ship but figured what the hell... Let's give it a try. I booked it right away. We opted for a Suite. I even inquired about the Owner's Suite. It looked fantastic but for a 5 day cruise, it wasn't worth it to me...

So, we drove to Charleston from Myrtle on Monday May 9th. We did a carriage tour which was fantastic. After that, we went to the port. We had a driver take us once we dropped off the rental car. I was not impressed with the port of Charleston. I do understand that it is undergoing construction but yea, it sure needs some work! Anyways, the process was easy. We had VIP passes so we got on right away.

We got on the boat and was pleasantly surprised. The ship itself is nice for it's age! We went straight to Lido and helped ourselves to lunch. Sat down and people-watched. I knew right away that this was going to be fun! Much younger crowd than Celebrity.

I have to say one thing... We are from New York. A lot of the travelers on board were mainly Southern. A lot of them DID NOT like us New Yorkers. We would make some small talk with random people and people really were not warming up to us. That was my overall main complaint about the trip... It upsets me because when I see out of towners visiting New York and run into them, I am always nice to them. I never get that feeling from most when I am down South. It's upsetting but what can you do.

After eating on Lido, DH and I ran up to check out our room. We found our room and opened the door and..... It was nice. Big. A little outdated but had ample closet space, nice bathroom with jacuzzi tub. Big balcony. Great living room space and nice TV. I wish the room could have been just a TAD cleaner.

That night we went to dinner and were expecting the worst because of what we had heard about Carnival. Well, we were surprised! Food was excellent. If not better than Celebrity. I was really impressed. We sat with a lovely couple from Virginia. They were on their Honeymoon and were great to talk to. Our waiters were awesome. My favorite was this kid from Belarus who was such a sweetheart. And our head waiter was Fernando who became DH's best friend. LOL.

So the first night on board led us to believe that we would have a fantastic trip. And we did. Everday and everynight. Service was great, food was great. The ship itself is a little cheesey but nonetheless great.

Archived