Sailing on the Caribbean Princess 7/19 ... Some questions

Jordster

First of all, please allow me to introduce myself. I'm a 4th time cruiser - 1st time on Princess. My wife and I are both 30, from Toronto, Canada. I'm a teacher (currently in "crunch time") and my wife is a lawyer (always in "crunch time"). We are both really looking forward to some quality time together.

We are taking the 7/19 cruise to Canada / New England. Up until recently, we were both in school and/or unemployed, so we typically cruised off-season. I'm a little bit worried about the crowds I've read about in some reviews. The cruise is 5 weeks away and basically sold out except for a couple dozen inside cabins.

So, here are my questions:

(1) Is this ship abbreviated CB? As in CariBbean Princess? Why not CP? Because that would be Crown Princess? I keep seeing abbreviations and I want to be sure I know what I'm reading!

(2) Do you have any tips/tricks to avoid crowds? I have a feeling that the average age on the ship will be on the higher side because it's an eastern Canada trip (not many young people find it alluring, although I don't know how many Caribbean islands you can see before they all blend together). If anyone has been able to avoid crowds on a full Caribbean Princess, I would love to hear your advice.

(3) I am currently signed up for flexible dining, but I'm reading many reviews claiming they waited as long as an hour for a table! My wife and I typically eat late - between 7:30 and 9. I am tempted to change my reservation to the fixed, late seating. Should I be worried about lines for late flexible dining? Would it be more prudent to change to fixed late seating?

(4) This will be my first experience in an inside cabin. I would have preferred a balcony (as I've had on my previous cruises) but my house just *broke* and cost me $10k+++ in concrete repairs! (Oh, and only inside cabins were still available...). Anyway, I'm not terribly worried as I didn't spend that much time on my balcony (or in my room for that matter). My only concern is feeling claustrophobic. I'm not generally afraid on enclosed spaces, but I've never lived in a room without a window! My mother-in-law suggested I bring a clock so that the time is always visible and I don't lose track of the time of day. Someone else suggested leaving the in-room-TV on to the outside view channel, which kind of amused me! Is there anything else that anyone would recommend I bring/do to improve the experience?

(5) How is the ship doing these days? I've read some reviews of tattered linens and towels. I can bring my own (we're not flying, so not really restricted on luggage). How are the beds? Are mattress pads available? Any other advice on things I can bring to improve my experience?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice :)

First of all, please allow me to introduce myself. I'm a 4th time cruiser - 1st time on Princess. My wife and I are both 30, from Toronto, Canada. I'm a teacher (currently in "crunch time") and my wife is a lawyer (always in "crunch time"). We are both really looking forward to some quality time together.

We are taking the 7/19 cruise to Canada / New England. Up until recently, we were both in school and/or unemployed, so we typically cruised off-season. I'm a little bit worried about the crowds I've read about in some reviews. The cruise is 5 weeks away and basically sold out except for a couple dozen inside cabins.

(1) Is this ship abbreviated CB? As in CariBbean Princess? Why not CP? Because that would be Crown Princess? I keep seeing abbreviations and I want to be sure I know what I'm reading!

(2) Do you have any tips/tricks to avoid crowds? I have a feeling that the average age on the ship will be on the higher side because it's an eastern Canada trip (not many young people find it alluring, although I don't know how many Caribbean islands you can see before they all blend together). If anyone has been able to avoid crowds on a full Caribbean Princess, I would love to hear your advice.

(3) I am currently signed up for flexible dining, but I'm reading many reviews claiming they waited as long as an hour for a table! My wife and I typically eat late - between 7:30 and 9. I am tempted to change my reservation to the fixed, late seating. Should I be worried about lines for late flexible dining? Would it be more prudent to change to fixed late seating?

(4) This will be my first experience in an inside cabin. I would have preferred a balcony (as I've had on my previous cruises) but my house just *broke* and cost me $10k+++ in concrete repairs! (Oh, and only inside cabins were still available...). Anyway, I'm not terribly worried as I didn't spend that much time on my balcony (or in my room for that matter). My only concern is feeling claustrophobic. I'm not generally afraid on enclosed spaces, but I've never lived in a room without a window! My mother-in-law suggested I bring a clock so that the time is always visible and I don't lose track of the time of day. Someone else suggested leaving the in-room-TV on to the outside view channel, which kind of amused me! Is there anything else that anyone would recommend I bring/do to improve the experience?

(5) How is the ship doing these days? I've read some reviews of tattered linens and towels. I can bring my own (we're not flying, so not really restricted on luggage). How are the beds? Are mattress pads available? Any other advice on things I can bring to improve my experience?

1. Princess actually makes the official abbreviations. CB = Caribbean Princess. We just kind of follow.

2. I've been on the CB and a few other Grand and SuperGrand class ships, always sailed full, never felt crowded. I think you might be surprised on the ages of the passengers. We always seem to sail with a good mix of ages.

3. Never waited for more than 5 minutes for Anytime dining. Being that you eat later, I don't think this will be an issue for you. We always eat early (5:30) so perhaps those who eat later can confirm or correct me on the eating later with the Anytime option.

4. Inside cabins are just fine. Great suggestions on the clock or leaving the TV on. I would also suggest one of the tap lights you can pick up at the dollar store as the cabin is VERY dark once you turn out the lights. Using one of the tap lights (or similar) will avoid someone tripping over something or stubbing a toe should you need to get up.

5. We were just off the CB last month. Towels and linens were fine, no need to bring your own. We do ask for an egg crate to be placed our on mattress. We slept just fine and we have a Tempur-pedic mattress at home.

Just keep reading the CC boards and ask questions. I suggest looking at the "Princess Secrets" thread as there is some not-to-be-missed Princess suggestions there.

The reviews and reports from friends I have read tend to lean more toward the inside areas being crowded if the weather is cool or rainy. With as many outside and inside cabins offered on this class of ship (where many don't want to just hang out in the cabin for obvious reasons), that tends to leave passengers only the inside public rooms to migrate to. So, as long as the weather is good, there shouldn't be a lot of problems with overcrowding in public areas as many will be outside enjoying the sunshine in nice weather and not gathering just in the interior areas of the ship.

YES - IT'S ABBREVIATED CB. I have no clue why either :)

EVEN THOUGH this ship is a biggie - you never feel crowded. I have been on her 4 times already in every season and never had a problem. I have a feeling this isnt a kid crowded destination and i could be wrong but the kids are practically invisible whenever we cruise - I wonder where they hide them.

I"VE HEARD HORROR STORIES AND HAPPY STORIES ABOUT THE FLEXIBLE DINING. MY DH AND I JUST PREFER FIXED DINING SO WE GET TO KNOW OUR WAITER AND HE KNOWS US....

UGH...sorry about your house. We all feel your pain as homeowners - believe me. Don't stress about the inside cabin. The rooms arent that small (except for the bathroom!!) but as you said - you'll get used to it. Your Mother in law is a smart cookie - bring the clock because it is pretty dark in there. You can leave the bathroom light on - it's seperated by a wall so it'll be just enough light for you.

Well I can tell you first hand that the towels are different than they used to be. I even told my husband last trip how nice the new towels were from the last year. They were thicker and whiter so I know they were new. The beds are awesome or at least we though so. Never had a problem - unless you count sleeping later than usual a problem. It's fine - don't listen to the picky people.

Lastly - ENJOY your cruise. You deserve it after the house problems. HAVE FUN!! You will love New England....go see Peggy Cove and that lighthouse - it was gorgeous up there.

Wow! Nice surprise to find such an active and friendly forum!

You guys have eased some of my worries... Thank you!

I am going to go sign in on the roll call.

More replies are welcome :)

Bring 5 large black metal binder clips to weigh down shower curtain so that it doesn't attack you.

Ask cabin steward for top sheet, otherwise you only get a covered feather duvet.

We purchase the picnic tablecloth weights for the shower curtain so it doesn't stick to you while showering. You can find them at the dollar store. I find they work better and are cheaper than the clips.

We purchase the picnic tablecloth weights for the shower curtain so it doesn't stick to you while showering. You can find them at the dollar store. I find they work better and are cheaper than the clips.

That is a great idea :)

That is a great idea :)

It sure is and works well, too. I learned that right here at CC, in fact.

It's amazing what you learn and the get advice you read here. I thought I knew everything about Princess before I joined here. I found out very quickly, not even close. I am STILL learning stuff every week.

My family just got off the CB yesterday. I think she was in pretty good shape. Our cruise was pretty much full if not totally full and yet it didn't seem that crowded. There was an occasional wait to get a table at breakfast in Horizon, but they free up pretty quickly. Food was wonderful wherever we ate. I had had enough sun so I hid out in Vines by the window and worked on cross stitch. It was quiet there and I could do some good people watching at the same time.

Make sure you request a top sheet like the other poster mentioned. We had an inside cabin and at times it got warm at night so it was nice to just have a sheet to throw over us. There are also lots of mirrors in the cabin which make it appear larger than it is. We didn't feel cramped in the cabin and it was me, DH, and 2 DS. I found the bed to be very comfortable (haven't slept that well in a long time), but my husband's back was sore. You can order the egg crate cushion thing if you have concerns.

The Promenade Deck is a wonderful area to hang out. It's covered and has some cushioned deck chairs. We liked to go to the aft and the bow on that deck to watch the world go by!

We had the anytime dining option and loved not having to be in a certain place at a certain time. We tended to eat around 6:30 or so and never had more than a minute or two wait. Once they gave us a beeper (like at The Outback) and we went to the bar to hang out until they called us. We were beeped before we were even able to order a drink. The only downside with anytime is that you don't have the same wait staff each night. That can also be a good thing if you don't like your waiter. ;)

Archived