Scuba in Hawaii- what's not to be missed?

Kaibocan

Taking a cruise to Hawaii in November. Maui, Kauai, HOnolulu, Hani.

Any dive sites not to be missed? We heard you can only dive with the mantas at night. We also heard the vis is not so good in Hawaii.

Any suggestions?

I've dove Kauai and Kona. The Manta Ray night dive is only available in Kona and at night and was INCREDIBLE. This is a "Bucket List Dive" - If you can't do it this trip, make sure to plan an overnight in Kona on your next trip to the islands.

We dove in "bad vis" and it was 60 feet. Being for Northern California, that's just fine for us. Temps were 74-76 and I wore a 3mm full. It got chilly toward the end of the 2nd dive every day, but not worth wearing more neoprene.

In Kauai try to dive Sheraton Caverns. Lots of turtles and the topography is fun- collapsed lava tubes. The shop we recommend is Fathom 5 and Brian as DM. Brian was excellent but if he's not available I'm sure they'll have you dive with someone great.

In Kona, no big standout dive sites that we've been to other than the Manta Ray night dive. We used Big Island divers and they were good.

• 2 weeks later...
Taking a cruise to Hawaii in November. Maui, Kauai, HOnolulu, Hani.

Any dive sites not to be missed? We heard you can only dive with the mantas at night. We also heard the vis is not so good in Hawaii.

Any suggestions?

It's not for everyone, and it's expensive, but I really enjoyed the Maui Ocean Center Shark Dive (in the aquarium). I am briefly seen in the video, the other divers are the dive master and the other paying customer was the photographer (who generously shared his video :o )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFbCPnW1iSE

Archived