Dry Bag/Case Question

pookie9922

I'm relatively new to snorkeling and have a question for the experience snorkelers and divers. I'm looking for a dry bag to be able to keep our money and passports in, as well as some clothes, small towel, etc. We're snorkeling on our own in Roatan and don't want to leave anything on the beach.

I've found dry bags at Amazon and REI but most of them have a fold down closure method. (3 folds and a d-clip) I haven't been able to find any reviews or info on whether these are waterproof enough for snorkeling with, or if they're just good for short periods of submersion (like if they fell off a kayak for a bit). I would say that for the most part, the bag would be floating along side of me but I would like to be able to go underwater with it.

I did find one that looks good, the aquapac, for around $40 but was hoping to find something cheaper. Most of the dry bags I've seen are $10-15 for the size I need.

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Snorkeling we have used a 'fisherman' wallet for money & credit cards - you can get them at REI - I think they're labeled to carry fishing licenses, etc. with a ziplock top and they come with a pin - you just pin inside you bathing suit. They usually come in a 2 or 3 pack. We also do scuba, so we also have a small dry box that we can fit eye glasses, keys & money that stay dry to at least 100 feet. (These can be found on a dive shop website - LeisurePro, Divers Discount,etc. & I'm sure passports would fit easily - I think we spent about $15.) As for clothes and towels, we've always left them on the beach while snorkeling, or in the open truck while shore diving on various islands. Haven't had anything ever taken - yet. We do have a large dry bag to use on boats, but have never tried to actually put it in the water and submerse.

The other thing you can search for is a "Pelican box". They make very small ones that are about the size of a credit card with a string to wear around your neck. They snap shut and are good down to about 100'. They also have bigger sizes, but mind you they are hard plastic boxes, so aren't moldable.

You could also look at a travel website for something. A few years ago I got something called a "splash caddy" which is a fanny pack with the heavy duty ziplock bags inside. It worked very well for snorkeling and playing on the beach and also came in 2 sizes.

Hilary's right: a small dry box for valuables is ideal, and Pelican and Otter are two of the name brands.

The 'splash caddies' or 'water wallets' are available at any large sports store on on-board. For pool/snorkeling they are fine, but won't stand up to diving.

If you absolutely insist on carrying stuff into the water with you, get an inflatable life ring, and fashion yourself a suspension net for whatever dry bag you buy, and tow it around with you. I would leave my stuff on shore, but I wouldn't take anything valuable with me, either. If someone wants a towel and old pair of shorts that bad...

Speaking of valuable, you might be better to take a copy of the first page of your passport, rather than the passport itself.

Have a wonderful trip!

Wendy

Hello, if you do decide on the "copy" of the first page ... do this prior to cruise and have it notarized as this will make it a viable means of Identification. I subscibe to the US Govt site on Immigration and they advised me to this effect.. That an unnotarization is not valid as a means of ID.. I had mine and my friends done for "just in case" and it turned out to be a handy means of id. and I felt better about not losing the "real deal"!

I have never taken clothes "downunder" so I found this discussion amusing. Buonancy control is crucial so excess weight for me is a no-no. the inflatible donut is a great idea for many reasons.. a marker for sure, hold item .. ok..see innovative delux innner tube, cover and flag.. very nicely priced. [email=http://www.diversdiscount.com/resources/frameset-cat.asp?cat=Miscellaneous]http://www.diversdiscount.com/resources/frameset-cat.asp?cat=Miscellaneous[/email]

Subsalve USA Quad Bag

SSAQ.JPG25 Lbs for $39.95

multi-purpose bags that can be used as a lift bag, on a reel as an upline float, as a drybag, or as an inflatable dive flag/float.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/SSAQ.html

well, that took just a moment to research... I hope that helps. When I dive off ship. Leave only essentials in dry bag with lock on beach , in truck or with attendant. Less is more on those occasions. Good Luck!

Thanks for all the help. You really pointed me in the right direction. I actually ended up going with Aloksak bags (made by the same company as the SplashCaddy products) and coupled that with a regular SealLine Dry bag because the Aloksak bags aren't easy to carry.

Thanks again!

You are most welcome...! I rarely dive with all the "bells n whistles" keeping it simple. I chose my clothes for the dive boat that same way. one more thing to consider. . . the ride back on the boat can get a bit "brisk" shall we say, and a good dive jacket does the trick. <windbreaker / water resistant and long so you sit on it.

DiveGear%20jacket%20copy.jpg

Impressive dive accessory featured in popular dive magazine. Dealers finding BOAT COAT an easy sell to savvy divers.

Divegear Inc. is proud to announce that its Boat Coat $150.00 is a real good item to use... however if this is cost prohibitive to you.. consider a Lands End/ LL Bean or EBauer windbreaker /pants outfit and keep warm... remember your body is stressed from diving and to catch a chill will only further stress you and could potentially risk a DCI... warm.. dry and hydrated..! so a bottle of water is good and Pedilyte helps if it has been a very arduous dive. < pedilyte better than Gatorade>

I looked at the sites for the dive equipment and they are very functional. I am not sure where or with which outfit you will be diving with/ snorkling or if you are going on your own.. but do remember to keep your buddy with you ... in sight. If you have a dive op .. leave things locked with them. if on your own on the beach.. wear your bathing suit under top/bottoms. get a quick dry towel..$14.95The Body Rag product is an extremely hydrophilic, microporous, reinforced, hi-tech, polymer sponge towel. Basically, a cool product that is multi-functional, highly durable, and really works! Used wet, it cools the body on a hot day or dries off anything wet after a sudden shower. The Body Rag towel is waffle textured on one side (for cooling), and smooth on the reverse side (for fast absorption). 33 1/4" x 13"

AQUBRT.JPG spcr.gif$14.95 USD

this will dry you in minutes and weight in at a fraction of a regular towel... and take up so little space.

quick drying shorts also helps: I find that Columbia also makes a womans dry short..

i912884hz02.jpg

that is on sale right now ..

very lightweight and quick drying.. so that you "take the load off" for you considerably! I wish you the best time eva and lots of lovely memories!

• 8 years later...
The other thing you can search for is a "Pelican box". They make very small ones that are about the size of a credit card with a string to wear around your neck. They snap shut and are good down to about 100'. They also have bigger sizes, but mind you they are hard plastic boxes, so aren't moldable.

You could also look at a travel website for something. A few years ago I got something called a "splash caddy" which is a fanny pack with the heavy duty ziplock bags inside. It worked very well for snorkeling and playing on the beach and also came in 2 sizes.

Hi Hilary! :confused:

My name is Sheela and I got into this Forum to find out which is the best option to buy a waterproof bag so I could go for some outdoor activities, the bag needs to be capable of keeping my personal belongings dry!

Could you guys help me out on this search?

I need a bag pack that I could adapt to my bicycle, the size should be medium, and about the price???? Well...., you know, the cheaper the better! Don't forget to keep in mind quality, sometimes the cheapest option makes you purchase twice!

Ok, Thanks for any possible help! :)