Patrick's 3/4 day tour on Bora Bora

MichCook

We are taking Patrick's 3/4 day tour when we are on Bora Bora in January. (And I can't even tell you how excited we are!)

One of our travel companions wants to snorkel but he thinks he would have a problem getting in and out of a boat that's out in the water. He can't bend his knee enough to do those little steps on the side of a boat.

Can anyone describe how you get in and out of the water to snorkel from the boat? I looks like an outrigger canoe.

He'd be ok jumping into the water, but at some point he's gonna have to get himself out. :D

Thanks a bunch!

Yes...Access to/from the water and the boat is via a side-rail ladder.

While the ladder does extend a bit below the surface of the water...a person with knee flexibility issues may find it difficult to climb out w/out the assistance of somebody top-side. -- (Perhaps one of the guides or another guest?)

I hope that answers your query.

Have fun on your trip. Even months later after having been there I can still vividly imagine sitting at the water's edge on the motu taking in the scenery.

We are taking Patrick's 3/4 day tour when we are on Bora Bora in January. (And I can't even tell you how excited we are!)

One of our travel companions wants to snorkel but he thinks he would have a problem getting in and out of a boat that's out in the water. He can't bend his knee enough to do those little steps on the side of a boat.

Can anyone describe how you get in and out of the water to snorkel from the boat? I looks like an outrigger canoe.

He'd be ok jumping into the water, but at some point he's gonna have to get himself out. :D

Thanks a bunch!

First of all it is an outstanding tour, my favorite of all of them although there were other good ones. Yes, there is a ladder so that may be a problem. Unless there are enough strong people to pull him out it may be tough however you could still go on the tour and not get in the water. The picnic was really a lot of fun as well. Best of luck

I stayed in the boat at all snorkeling stops and didn't feel like I missed out. The water is so clear you can see almost everything from the boat. And I think it was probably almost as much fun watching everyone with the stingrays as it would be taking part in the water with them. If you really want to be in the water, I'm sure Patrick or one of his guides and a fellow passenger would be able to get you back in the boat. Be sure to wear water shoes for protection. We wore ours on all of our snorkeling and beach excursions. It's a wonderful day. Enjoy!

You might want to e-mail Patrick to explain your concerns. He is very willing to help in any way and will no doubt answer you promptly.

Thanks, everyone for your information. I received an email back from Patrick and we're working through the issue.

Great to hear, don't miss even if you don't get out of the boat in the water. The recommendation for water shoes (good ones) is a must, you will use them on many tours.

Great to hear, don't miss even if you don't get out of the boat in the water. The recommendation for water shoes (good ones) is a must, you will use them on many tours.

Sounds like an absolutely wonderful tour. My DH doesn't snorkel and I love it! But he's a good sport and goes along for the ride. He'll enjoy the water when we do the lunch on the motu.

Hopefully, our friend will decide to go for the other experiences on this tour. We can always find another plance to snorkel from the shore. Maybe another island?

Patrick has sent us a list of all the items we should bring. Water shoes is on his list.

What's a rash guard?

This is a rash guard...........and I use mine for two reasons. One, if the water isn't as warm as I would like it helps to insulate you against the cooler temps. And two, to protect from getting too much sun while snorkeling.show_image_in_imgtag.php?filename=resized%2FWomen_s_Anti_UV__48d1e514a484c_90x90.jpg&newxsize=120&newysize=120&fileout=

This tour was wonderful! I am a scooter user and only walk a very little with crutches. Patrick scooped me up and carried me into the boat, carried me from the boat to the motu and back to the boat after the picnic. I went into the water when the others were snorkeling and immediately panicked because I could not keep my body upright and started having breathing difficulties. My water shoes might have contributed to my feet floating?? Patrick's assistant who was still on the boat grabbed the back of my life jacket and pulled me back into the boat. I would not have been able to climb the ladder. I immediately settled down and happily watched from the boat. Patrick even brought one of the rays over to the boat where I could touch it. I could see the black finned yellow sharks and other fish swimming around. Back at the dock, someone retrieved my scooter and Patrick carried me off the boat and put me right on my scooter! It was a fun day and Patrick was wonderful.

I am relatively small (although cruise meals are taking a toll) so I got service that might not be as easy with a large person.

With Patrick and his assistant helping, I would think your struggle getting up the ladder would be minimal.

That is wonderful that Patrick and his assistant were so accommodating. It made for such a special experience.

Our friend wants to know if the seating on the boat is comfortable...in case he ends up not being able to snorkel. He doesn't have sufficient "padding" back there. LOL

Is there a beach near where the snorkeling takes place? Maybe they can drop our friend off on the beach while everyone snorkels?

This is a rash guard...........and I use mine for two reasons. One, if the water isn't as warm as I would like it helps to insulate you against the cooler temps. And two, to protect from getting too much sun while snorkeling.show_image_in_imgtag.php?filename=resized%2FWomen_s_Anti_UV__48d1e514a484c_90x90.jpg&newxsize=120&newysize=120&fileout=

I like those...they have short sleeved ones?

That is wonderful that Patrick and his assistant were so accommodating. It made for such a special experience.

Our friend wants to know if the seating on the boat is comfortable...in case he ends up not being able to snorkel. He doesn't have sufficient "padding" back there. LOL

Is there a beach near where the snorkeling takes place? Maybe they can drop our friend off on the beach while everyone snorkels?

Patrick uses outriggers, the seating is wood benchs (I can't say that it is actually comfortable seating but pretty typical of what you will find in Tahiti on any outrigger canoe). The sting rays are in waist deep water, but the snorkeling is out in deep water, no beach close at all (they can't just pull up to the beach at any Motu in Tahiti and let passengers off, as they are privately owned by families). And there really isn't much snorkeling to speak of off the motu where you have lunch. I would suggest that your friend take a couple of towels to sit on if he plans to just sit on the outrigger most of the day.

rascalrider-

I am not so sure I would take this tour, or even suggest it to someone that can not get in and out of the boat themselves. Patrick is strong, but carrying someone on an off the boat is something I would never think of asking him to do, IMHO! Plus, I would want to make sure that I could at least float with a lifejacket should something unforseen take place. Anytime you are on a small boat, you really need to make sure that you can at least float (at least with a lifejacket) to shore if there is a serious problem (not that I have ever heard of this happening to anyone on Patrick's tour before, but that is just pretty much common sense). I am actually suprised that Patrick took you onboard, as that is going far and above what a tour operator is hired to do. Glad you enjoyed it, but I would definitely not recommend this to others with those severe mobility problems. ;)

Patrick uses outriggers, the seating is wood benchs (I can't say that it is actually comfortable seating but pretty typical of what you will find in Tahiti on any outrigger canoe). The sting rays are in waist deep water, but the snorkeling is out in deep water, no beach close at all (they can't just pull up to the beach at any Motu in Tahiti and let passengers off, as they are privately owned by families). And there really isn't much snorkeling to speak of off the motu where you have lunch. I would suggest that your friend take a couple of towels to sit on if he plans to just sit on the outrigger most of the day.

Toto2Kansas, Thank you for answering MichCook's questions.

rascalrider-

I am not so sure I would take this tour, or even suggest it to someone that can not get in and out of the boat themselves. Patrick is strong, but carrying someone on an off the boat is something I would never think of asking him to do, IMHO! Plus, I would want to make sure that I could at least float with a lifejacket should something unforseen take place. Anytime you are on a small boat, you really need to make sure that you can at least float (at least with a lifejacket) to shore if there is a serious problem (not that I have ever heard of this happening to anyone on Patrick's tour before, but that is just pretty much common sense). I am actually suprised that Patrick took you onboard, as that is going far and above what a tour operator is hired to do. Glad you enjoyed it, but I would definitely not recommend this to others with those severe mobility problems. ;)

Toto2Kansas, That sounds like a lecture to me. I will forgive you and put it out of my mind. Patrick was contacted with all of my limitations before I booked his tour. I would never surprise any tour operator. The OP does not have my limitations and he has apparently also contacted Patrick directly. BTW, I can float, I can swim, but have never done it with a life jacket and water shoes. Just because I am disabled, I have no desire to sit home and let the world and all of its wonders pass me by.

Just because I am disabled, I have no desire to sit home and let the world and all of its wonders pass me by.

No one has suggested you sit home and let the world and all of its wonders pass you by, that is definitely not my message whatsoever. I am just saying that this went far and beyond what a tour operator should be expected to do. And whether you alerted him to the fact beforehand or not, this is not something that is the norm on a tour in Tahiti. :) (and BTW-my statement to you had nothing at all to do with the OP and having them assist someone back into the boat, that is a totally different occurance and they will assist anyone that might need it to get back into the boat. Assistance is a totally different thing entirely). ;)

No one has suggested you sit home and let the world and all of its wonders pass you by, that is definitely not my message whatsoever. I am just saying that this went far and beyond what a tour operator should be expected to do. And whether you alerted him to the fact beforehand or not, this is not something that is the norm on a tour in Tahiti. :) (and BTW-my statement to you had nothing at all to do with the OP and having them assist someone back into the boat, that is a totally different occurance and they will assist anyone that might need it to get back into the boat. Assistance is a totally different thing entirely). ;)

I am so sorry that you have the attitude that you do, and I give thanks to all the tour operators who have assisted me and others. I do not expect, I make my condition known and ask. If the answer is no. I accept that. Maybe you would have preferred that I had not posted here. You have not discouraged me from continuing to experience things that do not fall within the norm.

I think you are totally misunderstanding. So, I will give up on this one. May you enjoy your cruises and tours for many years to come. :) I will say hello to Patrick for you when we return for our next visit to Tahiti this fall. ;)

Archived