Water to drink...not free?????

Kelownabccan

Keep reading from some people that water is not free???? We usually drink water from the tap in the cabin and also from the bars and restaurants when we want......eg.....if sitting by the pool you can ask for water and they bring it for you from the tap or you can go up to the bar and ask for a big glass with lemon and all if fine.....water is always served with dinner and re filled.......is this different for MSC......if you want you can pay for and buy bottled water but why???? when free and water is made purified on the ship.....just thinking......I suppose you could take a few empty plastic ones with you like we do on the planes and just fill them up before we go on the plane to drink and just fill them up in your cabin before you go out on the ship........what about free coffee and tea at lunch or dinner or breakfast....thoughts....

In the MDR you have the choice of ordering bottled water from your waiter which you'll have to pay for, or ask him to bring you a pitcher of tap water which is free. During the day you can drink free water from the dispensers in the buffet area (I don't know if they shut it down after midnight?). At the bars all they have is pay-for bottled water. Coffee (horrible American-type) is available all day in the buffet along with tea bags and hot water (note this is a new policy since April 2011). There are signs saying not to fill your own bottles with water from the dispensers for health reasons. Tap water from your bathroom sink is desalinized and doesn't taste very good to me.

In the MDR you have the choice of ordering bottled water from your waiter which you'll have to pay for, or ask him to bring you a pitcher of tap water which is free. During the day you can drink free water from the dispensers in the buffet area (I don't know if they shut it down after midnight?). At the bars all they have is pay-for bottled water. Coffee (horrible American-type) is available all day in the buffet along with tea bags and hot water (note this is a new policy since April 2011). There are signs saying not to fill your own bottles with water from the dispensers for health reasons. Tap water from your bathroom sink is desalinized and doesn't taste very good to me.

Thanks for the info.....I guess here in Canada we take pure water for granted and drink out of the tap all the time....the water on the ships has also been fine...never had any problems.....

We have used the water from the cabin to refill our water bottles on Musica, Opera and Poesia and found it just fine. Like you we have excellent water here at home so I would certainly notice it if it had a strange taste. I seems to vary with each ship if you can get tap water at the dinner table, when you can't I just ask for some ice which melts fairly quickly in the glass and becomes nice iced water. They do not allow you to refill water bottles from the water dispenser at the buffet for obvious health reasons but you can overcome that by filling a couple of glasses and tipping it into your water bottle at the table.

With my etickets there was a note that I would get a coupon book good for 5 liter bottles of water. I think I read that this was done for the american guests.

The bottles of water are also free for Canadians (and I think now for Brits and Aussies, too??), but this is only done during the European sailings.

As an American, we got 7 vouchers for waters for our family for 4. If we only had one full 8 oz glass at dinner, we could ration it and make it work. We were very thirsty though! My husband asked for tap water after we blew through it the first night and was told no. We didn't push it again, but maybe they would have brought it. There was free tap water with lunch. I know we weren't supposed to refill bottles from dinner with the tap water, but we did it, we usually stopped by the dinner buffet right after our MDR dinner, (our lips had never touched the bottle, so to us, no different than refilling those tiny little 3 oz cups) and then used it in our cabin that night and the next day. We partially snuck it in there, but I'm sure people must have seen us and not said anything.

Just back from MSC Poesia Cruise 35 days Genoa Kiel to Iceland to Norway. Back to backs. We received a water voucher for a bottle of water at dinner. Water, coffee and tea available at the buffets. Coffee and tea available in dining room lunch and breakfast. We refilled out water in the tap and put into refrigerator a took to luch when we when for lunch in the dining room. Generally coffee was not available at dinner. You could after dinner go up to the buffet area and get coffee and tea.

The bottles of water are also free for Canadians (and I think now for Brits and Aussies, too??), but this is only done during the European sailings.

No we Brits don't get the vouchers for bottled water butit is suppossed to be easier to get tap water free- either from the buffet dispenser or for requesting a jug/glass of water in MDR.

Did not think this was such a hot topic....as Canadians and on the ships we have been on water is a non issue ...but.... with the Euopean experience on MSC I guess it is going to be one....If I remember right in some European countries people drink lots of bottles water...so I guess the ship is sort of like a country...lol......I will drink lots of beer to make up...just kidding

Did not think this was such a hot topic....as Canadians and on the ships we have been on water is a non issue ...but.... with the Euopean experience on MSC I guess it is going to be one....If I remember right in some European countries people drink lots of bottles water...so I guess the ship is sort of like a country...lol......I will drink lots of beer to make up...just kidding

I highly recommend you drink heavily on MSC.:D

Not kidding:eek:

;)

I am on the MSC Opera at this very moment.You can pay for bottled water if you want to but there are water & ice machines in the self device areas. At breakfast there are also two juices available. Tea, coffee & hot milk have been available pretty much all of the time, also free of charge.Last night the first night of our cruise, the waiters just brought jugs of iced water.

The food is also good, just to put your minds at rest.

mousehound... good to hear since we will be on the Opera on July 14.. I was going to ask you about the ports but just realized you are on a different itinerary.. I would appreciate any tips that you feel might be helpful as this will be our first time on MSC.. thanks.. have a great cruise :)

We just got back from the MSC Fantasia and never were we offered tap water in the dining Room. At breakfast and lunch in the Buffet we had the choice of drinking tap water from the self service area, but never anywhere else. At dinner in the dining room it was either bottled water or nothing!

We really loved the cruise but this sort of bothered us. Why not charge an additional $25.00 per person and include the bottled water? I think this would make more sense and also there would not be a need for a thread like this!!

Amazing what we take for granted in Canada...especially in the mountains and valleys of BC....good clean, cold drinking water.......whatever ....this will not ruin our first cruise on MSC.....going on the 14 day one with open minds.....thanks for the input....

Amazing what we take for granted in Canada...especially in the mountains and valleys of BC....good clean, cold drinking water.......whatever ....this will not ruin our first cruise on MSC.....going on the 14 day one with open minds.....thanks for the input....

Looking at your past cruise history, I'm sure you will have a different experience than you are used to.

Personally, I like new things but when I was on MSC I sure missed the other lines way of doing things.

I'm sure you'll have a good time, you've obviously been cruising for awhile and know the deal but you have to admit that when the MSC champions tell you to get your water from your cabin faucet or pay for it's a whole new ball game.

Bring your water bowl!:p

It's a European thing. At a restaurant in France you can ask for a carafe (tap water, sometimes from the fridge, always free) but most people ask for a specific brand of bottled water. We're tap water people, it's never a problem asking for a carafe. In Italy they look at you funny if you ask for tap water, it's the sure sign of a cheap skate there. We don't care, I still ask for tap water. If I'm in the mood to pay for a beverage I'll ask for a diet coke or wine or something!

It's a European thing. At a restaurant in France you can ask for a carafe (tap water, sometimes from the fridge, always free) but most people ask for a specific brand of bottled water. We're tap water people, it's never a problem asking for a carafe. In Italy they look at you funny if you ask for tap water, it's the sure sign of a cheap skate there. We don't care, I still ask for tap water. If I'm in the mood to pay for a beverage I'll ask for a diet coke or wine or something!

Thanks again for the comments......just found out reading a review of the ship that coffee in not free after dinner in the dining room????.....apparently you can have "American" coffee free at breakfast and lunch but not at dinner......another strange one for us......we usually have a coffee or two with dessert....oh well !!!!

Thanks again for the comments......just found out reading a review of the ship that coffee in not free after dinner in the dining room????.....apparently you can have "American" coffee free at breakfast and lunch but not at dinner......another strange one for us......we usually have a coffee or two with dessert....oh well !!!!

In Italy, coffee is called for after lunch or after dinner and you can take it either in the restaurant or at a nearby bar (and in each case you pay for it) - but it's espresso and NEVER cappuccino which is only drunk in the morning. Italians do not drink coffee with their meals, only after.

Okay, that's the custom in Italy, but on the ship it's a little more complicated. You can have coffee with your meal (or after) in the MDR but you need to tell your waiter who will call a bar service waiter who will go to the closest bar with your cruise card, ring up the purchase, and bring your coffee to your table along with your card and the tab to sign.

If you elect to have dinner in the buffet instead of the MDR (except on gala nights), the "American" coffee is free at the dispenser and you can drink as much of it as you like.

By the way regarding bottled water, many Americans and Brits like their Perrier water just like the French call for Evian. On the ship however, MSC currently stocks only San Benedetto which comes either effervescent or natural.

Edited by Capricruiser

[quote=Jolimont;29547001]It's a European thing. At a restaurant in France you can ask for a carafe (tap water, sometimes from the fridge, always free) but most people ask for a specific brand of bottled water. We're tap water people, it's never a problem asking for a carafe. In Italy they look at you funny if you ask for tap water, it's the sure sign of a cheap skate there. We don't care, I still ask for tap water. If I'm in the mood to pay for a beverage I'll ask for a diet coke or wine or something!

I just came back from Paris and believe me, NO one ever offered us Tap water! It was automatically understood that only bottled water was available and at a very outragious price at that! 8 eu. for two little bottles of 50cc. each.

MSC has beautiful ships and quite comfortable too but, comparing to Costa, MSC is quiet mean not only with water but also with olive oil and vinegar, which tends to bother me. As mentioned above, why not charge 25 USD more and be generous with the water? They do sell drink packages but their price is not that much better than buying individually. I think they are slowly learning that pax are aware that the price is good for the cruise and will not be a Silverseas or Seabourn experience but some of the basics would help them win more of a market share. Costa, as I mentioned, tends to be more generous and that is their main competitor