What to do in...

s&l

Being blind, we don't get into architecture very much and scenic views don't do much for us either. So, I've been trying to find fun stuff to actually DO rather than just walking around looking at old buildings.

The cruise we'll be on will be hitting Rome, Barcelona, Tangier, Maderia, and Bermuda.

So far, we're thinking of sphering in Barcelona, camel riding in Tangier and swimming with the dolphins in Bermuda. But, there's got to be more to do than that and those activities do not fill an entire day.

Any suggestions for more hands on and involving activities?

Thanks,

S&L

Madeira is the flowerisland. In your case I'ld book either a private tour or take a taxi and literally go smell (and feel, personally love the feel of different flowers) the flowers. It's an amazing island and within the freedom of doing a private tour/drive you can have the tourguide/driver suit the day to your likings and abilities. Benefit of taxidrivers; they aren't trying to sell "add ons" like some touroperators sometimes do (getting their cut if they get you into a certain shop, park, etc. etc. ) and they can take you off the beaten path to little known hidden pearls. Madeira should be a port that really can play into other sences that sight.

Rome; Vatican City! While not able to see, you can hear lots going on. Very intruiging if one has any interest in how people envolve themselves into their religion.

And what about doing a sailing trip at Bermuda? Nice weather and sailing can be anything from totally leisure to very active, just depends on what you are looking for. Being active on a moving ship is a bit of an extra challenge, but does mean extra adrenaline rush. Feeling the wind in your face, water splashing up, it's great.

Barcelona; you could do a cookingcourse and learn some real Catalan cooking. There are some amazing courses available all over the Med. This includes Italy and could also be an option for Rome.

Another option for Barcelona; visit the FC Barcelona stadium. You would have to be really lucky to be in port during a soccergame and also get a ticket for that, but that really is an ultimate experience when talking about Barcelona. The whole city is soccer and Barca is the castle of it. The atmosphere in the stadium during a match will give anybody goosebumps. Besides that, touring the stadium with a certified guid can also be done in a way that is much more active and stimulating other sences than just sight.

Both Madeira and Tangier are great places for a 4X4 offroad drive. Might not be the wisest to drive yourself ;) but with a driver offroad does offer all kinds of things that actually have you do something. Whether it's the rush of driving down a steep sandhill, going up a steep rocky wall or using it as a way to access some nature spots otherwise not available.

Also Madeira has the caves, you can go canyoning on Madeira etc. I'm sure if that's your kind of thing, you could find the possibility of ziplining, abseiling etc. in one of the ports. Or take dancing lessons in Barcalona.

So much options, so little time. If I were you, I'ld turn things around. Make a bucket list; what would you want to do if you could dream and have no limits in any way. Next I'ld take that list and see how I could fit something (or better; multiple) of the list into an actual thing I would do during this cruise in a port.

If you want to make it a bit more so called authentic; ask yourself what your picture of that port is. For instance; you think about tapas food, passion, dance and soccer when thinking about Barcelona. Those are very clear things that can be turned into tours that are active or focus on other sences than just sight.

WOW!!!!! Thanks selma!!!!! Lot's of good ideas. I especially like the ziplining and offroading. We're not really outdoors kind of ppl, but it be fun to do those sorts of things mainly because we wouldn't normally do them.

Gonna have to show all of this to the DW.

Thanks again!

S&L

Archived