Just Back from Alaska on Pearl

SisterSam

We had a great time on the Pearl. We chose to upgrade when they called and it was the best decision that we made! We had a suite on the back of the ship and we had a fantastic view. It was quite quiet in the back too! With the upgrade we were also given use of a butler (Dilip) and conceirge (Carlos) even though we really did not use their services, our interaction with both of them was top rate. With the upgrade we were able to eat Breakfast and lunch in Cagney's. The breakfast and lunch was the highlight of my husbands day. He tried everything on the menu.

We ate at Cagney's only once for dinner and were very disappointed. The steak was only fair, compared to one of our local restaurants. Ate at LaCucina twice (chiken parm and seafood alfredo for me) and Mambos twice as well. (The fajitas were great). We enjoyed the food and atmosphere at both of them and the service was top notch!

We ate at Lotus Garden once, but did not enjoy it too much. The waitresses were very attentive however.

The excursions we took were booked thru NCL. We did the Best of Skagway, Best of Ketchican and did a Horse drawn Trolley Ride in Victoria. We enjoyed all of them!

Had a nice/horrible experience in the spa. I went for a mani/pedi (a treat for me). The girl doing the treatment was very friendly, but seemed to look around the room quite a bit to see what was going on. At the end, she asked for my room key while I was still soaking. She comes back with two receipts for me to sign, one for the mani/pedi and one for the products that she thought I needed to buy. Well, I did not ask to buy anything, nor was I asked if I wanted to buy anything. I made them refund the cost of the products. I wanted an enjoyable experience, but that ruined it for me. My hubby went for the $99 special of the day which was a massage for the neck, back and ankles and ended up buying $45.00 worth of face cream because they told him it would help his skin after shaving. At the beginning of the procedures, you have to fill out a medical form.

The pushing of the jewelery, etc. is way over the top too.

We enjoyed Sharkbait and Oh What A Night! The production company is good, but not great.

Overall, the cruise was a once in a lifetime for us. We can now cross it off our bucket list. I highly recommend it.

Yep, the spa on most ships have a very hard sell. Suprising how many people will not simply just say 'No'.

And they are trained to be so convincing that this product is something you really need. It's not any different than many land based spas.

Archived