Cabin 8024

squeakers

Guest Jancruz

What would you like to know..it is a great cabin exactly like all the other A's on a wonderful deck and midship..

Jan

Thanks Jan for your reply. We've just discovered this vehicle for info and have been reading everything. I have been very excited about our July 20th booking to Baltic. After reading some of these messages, however, I'm beginning to doubt the level of service and comfort on Regatta. Am I being too gullible with what I'm reading? Also, are the passengers mostly elderly-we are 59 and young ones at that. We realize the evenings will be very quiet but with our active itinerary we thought that would be ok. Is it terribly quiet every night? We are also deciding on side trips in St. Petersburg and find too many choices. Any suggestions for most interesting ones without being repetitive in what we see. Also how do we find out other passengers who have booked our cruise? :) Thanks, Judy

I was on the Regatta last year at exactly the same time as you are going. You have chosen the perfect time for a Baltic cruise. The weather was outstanding - we had 14 days of paradise. Do not doubt the level of comfort and service on the Regatta. It is wonderful - there are just a lot of grumblers. We booked another cruise while we were onboard and the future cruise consultant told us that some of the people who were complaining about everything were also booking more cruises - go figure. You will have a wonderful time.

And by the way, we are in our mid-fifties, and most of the passengers were our contemporaries. You can never really know what the passenger mix will be, but don't assume that it will be elderly.

Welcome back, Jan. It's wonderful to see your posts again. You have been missed and our thoughts are with you and Stu. I'm sure that you are glad to be home. You are so generous with your information and I am so appreciative of all you've done on this post and Yahoo.

Joan

thanks for all your responses. We are reassured that it will be wonderful. I didn't think they really had shows in the evening so that's a surprise. Any suggestions for side trips in St. Petersburg. Any recxomendations for other side trips while on the baltic trip? We will book thru ship since we won't need a visa. There are just so many choices. Thanks.

Hi,

We used Red October for tours in St. Petersburg in June. They are a great company and you don't need a visa if you tour with them. They will take care of everything. You can post on this board to find others on your cruise. The Yahoo board is also a good place to post. I was able to find people on our cruise to share a private tour and decrease the amount per person. I also did this for our May, Venice to Bacelona, cruise on the Regatta. Have a wonderful cruise.

Joan

Hi Joan,

Thanks for the info, again. How far in advance did you book with Red October for your St. Petersburg tour? Did you follow their tours or did you help design the itinerary? One more thing, do you need to find others to fill the car or just book for yourselves? How did you get in touch with Red October? Thanks for all your help. First timers, can you tell? Judy:)

We took Regatta last Sept in the Med and had wonderful food and service and a great time. We always found PLENTY to do. I am 52 and my husband is 57. Many were in our same age range. Hope this helps.

Patty

Thanks Jan for your reply. We've just discovered this vehicle for info and have been reading everything. I have been very excited about our July 20th booking to Baltic. After reading some of these messages, however, I'm beginning to doubt the level of service and comfort on Regatta. Am I being too gullible with what I'm reading? Also, are the passengers mostly elderly-we are 59 and young ones at that. We realize the evenings will be very quiet but with our active itinerary we thought that would be ok. Is it terribly quiet every night? We are also deciding on side trips in St. Petersburg and find too many choices. Any suggestions for most interesting ones without being repetitive in what we see. Also how do we find out other passengers who have booked our cruise? :) Thanks, Judy

Squeakers. We just had cabin number 8024 on the Feb. 20th, 12 day Miami to Miami cruise. With only two A1 catagory cabins on deck eight, we thought it would be a great spot. And as expected it was great.

The room stewards (1 male/1female) were the BEST ever in 8 cruises. Monica was the girls name. If my wife could have put her in the suitcase to come home with us, she would have. They kept the room in super shape. The room is in the center, basicly, so getting to the front or back of the ship was a breeze. Elevators were close enough. You'll love the room.

As far as the cruise and the ship, they were both what we thought a small ship would be like. We will do Oceania again, although we will move up to a PH1 or VS catagory.................

Enjoy.............:D

Guest Jancruz

Hi Judy,

Tho I am older than you..I have been on the ships 8 times already and have loved every cruise..I am not sure who it is you read that was not happy with Regatta..but I am surprised as almost everyone loves these size ships..Service is outstanding, food incredible and entetainment very acceptable..the social staff put on several shows that are wonderful in addition to other performers, speakers and movies..I find younger and older on every cruise and all have a great time..I also took Red October in St. Petersberg and I am sure you will find other couples to join you..that are on your trip..

Let me know if you need any other info..:)

Jan

We took this cruise late last June & loved it. We had a late night crowd almost every night - remember you are in the land of the White Nights & it seems to keep people up & active much later than usual.

I would like to recommend one particular shore excursion offered by O in St. Petersburg - Grand Imperial Evening of the Tsars. It takes place after the palace closes to the general public, so we were really able to appreciate the beautiful rooms, especially the Amber Room. We were with the on-board lecturer who had been to the palace many times & she was just blown away by having the palace to ourselves!

You will just love this cruise!!!! FanJan

Jan , Your reply is so exciting. thanks. Which Red October private tours would you recommend? Did you do the custom or just private tour?

Baffles, I'm glad to hear the news about the stewards for that cabin. Can't wait.

Brian, thanks. Although we are next to your cabin, we are an A1 which I'm hoping will be fine.

Fanjan, we will probably take that Tzar tour -it sounds terrific. Any others you suggest? Judy

Joan, thanks. Red October it is. I am looking them up today. Did you use the usa office or go directly to russain branch for your arrangements with the company? I definitely do not need to get my own visa if I book through them, right? thanks, judy

Guest Jancruz
Jan , Your reply is so exciting. thanks. Which Red October private tours would you recommend? Did you do the custom or just private tour?

I suggest you write to Laura at Red October..tell her you know me and ask for a few custom itineraries and she will be happy to send them to you..ask for a price for at least 4 as you can always find another couple to go from this board..

Regards,:)

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

WISH YOU were with US on our trip instead- we are on the March 16th- we are the same age as you.............our experience has been that we are amongst the youngest- last cruise we saw no one even close (tg we were with friends)....! Oh well, maybe another time!

how was your march 16th cruise? where'd you go? hoping this one in july will be the first of many others for us. husband never cruised before. i did ions ago. we hope ours will have some like ages but whatever we'ree still excited about it. judy:)

Hi Squeakers,

Wow, I now feel so old. We were on the Regatta in 2003, did the Infinity for S.A. (Celebrity) in 2004, we are booked for the Insignia in July for the Black Sea and will be on the Nautica doing Asia in March 2006. We just returned from a week in New Orleans and have air plane e-tickets for Las Vegas, Boston, Philadelphia, and Miami (twice) up in the closet ready to go. My husband just returned from Africa several weeks ago. Since I'm older than your 59 (7 years), does that make me "elderly" ? We closed every dining room on our Baltic tour in 2003 on the Regatta and still got up early to sightsee. We found friends younger than us and older than us and had a fantastic time. If you were on a ship where everyone had suites and were paying more than twice as much as we are, maybe you could call it a "mostly elderly" makeup of passengers.

Lighten up and enjoy your cruise!

Sheila

Archived