snorkling with glasses

abgraham

I don't know why, but I've always had a hard time snorkling with my glasses. I can't take them off, or else I can't see anything I'm looking at lol. When I put my mask over them, they tend to fog up right away (even with those drops), or don't fit quite right. My mask is a costco snorkle set one. Any suggestions on what to do or buy? I love snorkling and hoping to fix this problem.

I would also be seeing nothing without my glasses on, and definitely couldn't fit my glasses under the snorkel mask.

Luckily, even though I'm not comfortable to wear contacts on a regular basis, I can wear them enough that every couple of year I ask my optometrist for a 5-pack of disposable contacts along with my regular glasses.

If I didn't have that option, I'd opt for a prescription snorkel mask. There is a variety from custom lenses for your exact Rx to just generic 'whole number' diopter lenses (for instance -4.0 for nearsighted). Since the refraction of the water makes things appear larger and closer, you may not have to match your exact prescription anyway. There are some older threads here with recommendations that I had read last year.

MY problem is now that I need correction for reading, with regular contacts, I can't see close to read, which I love to do on the beach as much as snorkeling. So with the contacts I need to switch between the snorkel mask, reading glasses and sunglasses. I think next year I'm going to splurge on an Rx mask!

Have had RX snorkel mask for years. We got ours at a dive shop and probably only a full number RX. They make all the difference in the world. Hubby can't see at all without glasses and these make his snorkel comfortable and the fish easy to identify:D Having the right equipment allows a better experience and they are not that expensive. Don't find I need the exact RX and I have had mine for over 6 years.

My tip is that you should carry these on the airplane in your hand luggage. Of the 3 pairs we bought (for 3 people) one shattered in the checked luggage. Also a snorkel vest adds to the snorkel experience.

I wear glasses on the beach and like sunglasses that fit over them called overlook with a capital R with slash on it. Bought at Lenscrafter or like store and they protect from UV rays and glare. Keeps headaches down. I even bought a pair for my 9yo GD and she wears them constantly.

There are options. Do you need glasses to read, see far, or both?

If you just need them to read...

http://www.amazon.com/DiveOptx-Magnification-Authorized-Warranty-Underwater/dp/B002G4B5QG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308884615&sr=8-1

Or if you need them for far...

http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-diving/tusa-liberator-plus-dive-mask/

with...

http://www.diversdirect.com/products2.cfm/ID/5436

I wear trifocals on land, but, only need the Dive Optx stick-ons so I can see my dive computer and camera viewfinder (close stuff).

Good luck!!

I need glasses for EVERYTHING, i'd bump into walls without my glasses on lol. I purchased an RX mask from Snorkel-Mart. Mask+Snorkel+Shipping-10%off coupon code = $72... couldn't be happier. I'm not expecting them to be perfect, but anything is better then not seeing at all lol.

I've been diving since 1963 and am a (retired) SCUBA Instructor. I'm also blind as a bat! I was 4F in Vietnam, legitimately because of my vision.

I strongly recommend that you go to a quality SCUBA store in your area and look for a good quality prescription mask. Bring a copy of your RX for eye glasses with you. If you don't have horrible astigmatism, you may be able to be fit with an off the shelf mask with replacement lenses. They're generally available in 0.5 diopter increments (both + and -).

If you can't be fit with off the shelf lenses, custom lenses can be ground to your particular RX.

Really good masks are available in a silicon material, soft and comfy. If you are going to be doing any underwater photography, get a dark colored mask. If not, get a light colored or translucent mask. Translucent masks are good for folks with slight claustrophobia as you don't feel like your looking out through a "tunnel".

Most SCUBA shops do a really good job of pairing you to a mask that meets your needs.

Regards,

Bill Finkelstein

Emeritus NAUI SCUBA Instructor 14171L

If you are going to be doing any underwater photography, get a dark colored mask. If not, get a light colored or translucent mask. Translucent masks are good for folks with slight claustrophobia as you don't feel like your looking out through a "tunnel".

Raptor-Inrteresting about the light colored mask. So what is the benefit of wearing dark masks while doing photography?

I don't know why, but I've always had a hard time snorkling with my glasses. I can't take them off, or else I can't see anything I'm looking at lol. When I put my mask over them, they tend to fog up right away (even with those drops), or don't fit quite right. My mask is a costco snorkle set one. Any suggestions on what to do or buy? I love snorkling and hoping to fix this problem.

I haven't tried this myself (I wear contacts), but I have a friend who was going to Bermuda for a few days and didn't want to invest in an expensive mask, so he took an old pair of glasses, pulled off the sides, and glued them into a Kmart mask.

Anyone ever try anything like that? Maybe worth a try?

I haven't tried this myself (I wear contacts), but I have a friend who was going to Bermuda for a few days and didn't want to invest in an expensive mask, so he took an old pair of glasses, pulled off the sides, and glued them into a Kmart mask.

Anyone ever try anything like that? Maybe worth a try?

That's brilliant and thrifty! Wonder how well it worked

While in the Navy I had prescription OBA Oxygen Breathing Apparatus glasses. Really goofy with a rubber strap then we could put our firefighting gear on. I tried them with a mask and worked well. So, get some sport glasses with strap and maybe try that too?

You can have a mask made with your prescription.

Go to a pro scuba store.

You don't even have to do that. You can order one on line for less than $100.00, just need your perscription. Had mine for years, works great & its still like new after many trips

I am blind as a bat without my glasses. I was at Sport Chalet about 3 years ago, and I picked up a snorkel mask that had various magnification levels. These are MUCH cheaper than getting it custom fit to your prescription. Just get as close as you can to your prescription. The strongest was 5 or 6.

I love the new mask. i can see so much better. Amazon has a similar product. The price ranges from $40-$69 depending on the strength.

In Amazin search for snorkel mask prescription. Promate is another maker under Amazon. I believe mine from Sport Chalet was made by Body Glove

After our first cruise, I went out and spluged on a prescription mask. It cost less than $200 (Canadian) and the lenses are removable, so if my prescription shifts I can just replace the lenses. Where I got mine, the lenses came in half diopters, all the way to -6.0.

I'm very satisfied with it, its worth the investment if you're planning on snorkeling or scuba diving on a regular basis. My DH and I are looking at going for our scuba certification in the near future.

Have had RX snorkel mask for years. We got ours at a dive shop and probably only a full number RX. They make all the difference in the world. Hubby can't see at all without glasses and these make his snorkel comfortable and the fish easy to identify:D Having the right equipment allows a better experience and they are not that expensive. Don't find I need the exact RX and I have had mine for over 6 years.

My tip is that you should carry these on the airplane in your hand luggage. Of the 3 pairs we bought (for 3 people) one shattered in the checked luggage. Also a snorkel vest adds to the snorkel experience.

I wear glasses on the beach and like sunglasses that fit over them called overlook with a capital R with slash on it. Bought at Lenscrafter or like store and they protect from UV rays and glare. Keeps headaches down. I even bought a pair for my 9yo GD and she wears them constantly.

Remove and stow the tube in checked luggage. It will definitely trigger a TSA bag check.

Archived