Ketchikan, snorkeling help!!!

Jls08234

Leaving July 28th on Spirit, and thinking about sending DH on Snorkel Alaska tour in Ketchikan for under $100.

Help if you have done this, or heard about it.

Thank you so very much.:confused:

We did this last year (Mountain Point). We had a blast. If you have a choice pick a time near a low tide. The guides are great, the equipment is first rate. We were a little unsure about it, but we'd do it again in a second now. The only complaint (a small one) is that the changing room is a little tight - you get to know your fellow snorkelers (of the same sex) well right away. Where else can you become one with a herring ball!

DH's date to snorkel is Sunday, July 3. I believe your trip is through your ship? I didn't see it on the Carnival Spirit, so we went with on-line snorkel alaska.

He is still iffy about it cause he soesn't want to miss the time in Ketchikan town.

We are Spoiled this trip: steam train in Skagway, Heli/airboat in Juneau, smaller boat through Tracy Arm - We went nuts with this cruise, but from East Coast, and we are more than excited!

Thanks for the quick responses!!;)

It is awesome, awesome, awesome!!! I did it earlier this year and was just amazed at all of the sights, colors, & entire experience. The guides are exceptional and pay close attention to everyone. If I were to do it again, I would bring a small hand towel & a brush to do something with my hair as it was wet but nothing to do with it. They do provide towels to dry off with when you peel out of your wetsuit.

Oh - and clip your fingernails!! I broke 3 of them when getting into the wetsuit! hahaha... :-)

We just did it day before yesterday in Ketchikan. We just finished two back to back cruises on Holland America Zaandam and visited Ketchikan twice. Only found out about this excursion the day before we sailed and talked ourselves into it by the second sailing. It was a wonderful and exhilarating excursion, particularly for anybody who has already been to Alaska to do something different. I usually don't even look at ship's shore excursions, preferring to line up our own, but for some reason I happened across this offering in Holland America's shore excursions, and had to look twice to make sure I was looking at the right trip and that it was really offering snorkeling in Alaska. Seems there is this warm current that comes up off the coast of Japan and lands in Ketchikan.

The excursion was around three hours, with about one hour actually in the water, which is just about the right amount of time, and the other time spent on getting there and back, getting safety lectures, and suiting up. The company supplies everything you will need except a towel to dry off later.

I am a very tall woman with very long and skinny legs and was worried they would not have a wet suit that would have long enough legs to keep the cold water out. They had me covered! They also covered everybody else, from tiny to XXL. If I recall, there might have been a weight limit of 260.

Anyway, the water is not at all cold once you get into it in that thick wet suit, and it is a very fun experience. I wish I could do it again tomorrow.

Archived