Travel Car Seat for 1 year Old

JTS_NCL_FEB

I am looking for recommendations for a travel car seat for a one year old. We are flying to FLL from NY and boarding the Oasis in Sept. The full size car seat seem like overkill and would prefer to buy something that is easy to travel with.

Thanks in advance

A 1 year old should still fit in a "baby bucket" style infant seat. They have weight/height limits up to 35 pounds and 35 inches in height (though depending on the how the height is distributed - torso v. legs - the test is whether the head is 1 inch below the top of the shell of the seat). The baby bucket is a very easy way to transport an infant, and there are many strollers, including lightweight umbrella-style, that will accept an infant seat to snap or strap in.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "full size" seat. A convertible seat is not as easy to travel with as a baby bucket, so see above, your child would probably still fit in an infant seat. My son was 80th percentile for height at a year and still had 2-3 inches of height to go in his baby bucket seat.

If you're looking for a lightweight convertible seat, there's the Costco Scenera, the Safety 1st Onside Air is essentially the same seat with additional padding and some "side impact" air-bag style features. These are very lightweight and easy to trek around with.

There are no options other than an infant seat or a convertible seat for traveling with a 1 year old. Booster seats are not approved or acceptable for a child this age.

The CARES harness is an option for kids between 22 and 44lbs but it is only for use on an airplane. You can google 'cares harness' if you want to learn more about it.

Which sailing are you going to be on? I'll be on the Sept 10th sailing. Wondering how many kids under school age will be on board that time of year since families w/school aged kids probably wouldn't book a cruise in September.

milton33 above gave you the best advice. I'm traveling with my 3 year old and 6 year old and will be bringing a car seat for the 3yo and a booster for the 6yo. If you don't have an infant car seat that your 1 year old still fits in (my dd still fit in the Chicco KeyFit 30 at 20 months), then you could look at the Combi Coccoro. That's the seat we'll be traveling with for my 3 yo. It is small and insanely light.

As milton said, there are really no other options for traveling with a 1 year old. A child that age should still be rear facing so a convertible car seat or infant seat are your only options.

Archived