Coral Breezes Shark Alley Tour/Shark Alley & Safety for female to go alone?

Licoriceky2

HI All,

Since everyone on here has been so helpful, I have yet another question….We are traveling to Belize on the Carnival Legend in September. I very much want to do the Coral Breezes “Shark/Ray Alley/Snorkeling/Caye Caulker Exploration” tour/excursion as I believe it would be once in a lifetime opportunity, unique, and sounds wonderful. However that being said I do have a few questions:

1. Is there anyone else that offers the Shark Alley tour, along with other snorkeling for less than the $75.00 per person?? (not that I am necessarily complaining about the price, but I am on a budget)

2. I have read about the super aggressive Bull Sharks being in this area, however has anyone ever had any experience about this problem or heard of any issues? How prevalent are they ? :eek:

3. My husband and inlaws refuse to partake in this excursion, so it looks like it would/will be just me – a thirty something female. How “safe” is it for me to travel without my husband or another party on this excursion? I assume there would be other tourist on the boat, but maybe not? I am slightly concerned as a female to try this alone. Any thoughts? :confused:

Thank you all for your comments!

Jamie

HI All,

Since everyone on here has been so helpful, I have yet another question….We are traveling to Belize on the Carnival Legend in September. I very much want to do the Coral Breezes “Shark/Ray Alley/Snorkeling/Caye Caulker Exploration” tour/excursion as I believe it would be once in a lifetime opportunity, unique, and sounds wonderful. However that being said I do have a few questions:

1. Is there anyone else that offers the Shark Alley tour, along with other snorkeling for less than the $75.00 per person?? (not that I am necessarily complaining about the price, but I am on a budget)

2. I have read about the super aggressive Bull Sharks being in this area, however has anyone ever had any experience about this problem or heard of any issues? How prevalent are they ? :eek:

3. My husband and inlaws refuse to partake in this excursion, so it looks like it would/will be just me – a thirty something female. How “safe” is it for me to travel without my husband or another party on this excursion? I assume there would be other tourist on the boat, but maybe not? I am slightly concerned as a female to try this alone. Any thoughts? :confused:

Jamie

Have done Shark Ray Alley three times all thru the ship. Have not seen any bull sharks only those harmless nurse sharks and stingrays. They take you to the coral gardens which has about 15 to 20 foot of water and then to the nurse sharks in about 5 to 8 feet of water. On NCL the excursion costs $109 and stops for lunch at Ambergris Caye.

I wouldn't worry about being solo as you will most likely have other people (tourists) in the boat with you. I am a solo cruiser, male, and never had any issues. Coral Breezes will take you to Caye Caulker which like ambergris caye is safe.

I have started looking at Coral Breezes since NCL no longer does the Shark Ray excursion. Have heard some positive reviews from these forums. the only worry that I have is the tendering process since ship excursion get priority.

HI All,

Jamie

Keep pounding your RollCall thread. You're bound to find someone else interested in going.

As far as your personal safety goes, the leader of the Coral breeze snorkel trip is a Mom, Heni, who does a super job & lives on caye Caulker & she looks after everyone on her boat.

You may miss having a snorkel buddy to snorkel with but there might be more alone people on the boat or just stick with Heni or one of her assistants while in the water. They will provide you with a life vest to use as a flotation device.

We must have been with Coral Breeze on this same snorkel trip over a dozen times & have NEVER seen any Bull sharks or anything else aggressive.

The local lunch on Caye Caulker is one of the trips highlights for my wife. She & I both order the stewed chicken with rice & beans. A delightful meal !

Go & have a fun time. Your hubby will be sorry that he did not snorkel with you on this one !

I have not been on this particular excursion (our ship missed Belize last cruise), but I have been on similar excursons alone. I am a female over 50. It is not like you are alone on the trip, There will be others from your cruise. It is a nice way to meet new people. Like someone else posted, post on your roll call and see if anyone is interested. I plan to do this in Nov. Most of my friends want to go on these excursions with me now. They have learned that I do my homework and find great excursions. Have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...
We are doing this excursion on Aug 10th. I am really looking forward to this. I think that you would be fine doing this solo. I will post a review here on Belize threads when we return.

Hey Sandy, I am with you on Dream Aug. 6th. My mom and I are also going to go Coral Breeze. Mom will stay on Caye Caulker while I do the snorkel tour. Glad I will "know" someone else.:)

Archived