Bermuda Information?

Mac

Dose anyone know of a special site or some kind of pamphlets to what there is to do in Brumuda? I have read so many different interesting things on these boards. I will be sailing on May 29 for a 5 day cruise, we are only there for a short time. Just wondering if there was something I could read up on. Your information will be much appreciated, thank you.

I second buying the Fodors Bermuda Guide. I have been to Bermuda twice now and have fell in love with the island but there is so much to see and do.

Figure out what interests you have and make a list of what you would like to see first. Buy the bus and ferry pass and have the time of your life.

Hi Mac. In addition to TxRose's excellent suggestions, you may try the "Bermuda Online" site - http://www.bermuda-online.org/ - It has links to about everything. Written by a gentleman in association with The Royal Gazette. You can also peruse my website, the link's in my signature. I'll be adding stuff up until we sail in June. ENJOY!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Mac:

Lucky you...going in May. Our VOS cruise does not leave until November 2005. Will be anxiously awaiting your review of the ship.

We were to Bermuda last May on the Celebrity ship, Zenith. We were there for 7 days. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I have attached a site below that I found helpful of the Dockyards. Where everything is located and what is there. Hope you can use it.

http://www.experiencebermuda.com/maps/naval-map.html

Hello Optifire

I enjoyed the site very much thank you, I have been on the Voyager several time's and enjoyed it each time. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I was wondering how you enjoyed Bermuda and If there was anything special you suggest to do? They say the cab's are very expensive and to take the bus or water taxi's is that true? Your information would be very helpful.

Hi Mac:

We were in Bermuda in May and at that time the weather was perfect. Not too hot, and really not into the full swing of the tourism. So May was a good time to go, we thought.

The things we felt were "must sees",

1. Find out what time you will be pulling into Bermuda and try to be up on deck for it. We pulled into Hamilton and we were not on deck to see it. However upon departure, we were, and it was beautiful. So try not to miss it. I dont know how it will be, docking over at the Dockyards, but I am sure the sights will still be beautiful as Bermuda's beauty is not just to be seen from land, but by sea also she is still as beautfiul.

2. In Hamilton, we really didnt do much. The shopping was really on an upscale there, very pricey. We did do the horse/buggy ride. That was very nice. Try to take it when there is not alot of traffic time. We took ours right after supper. I beleive the cost was $10.00 per person. Sometimes they dont even come out until late afternoon if it is very hot. But you should not have that problem in May. The Ferry was right down the street from the Birdcage and very easy to catch. The bus in Hamilton, you have to go up a block to catch it. Up, meaning walking a pretty good upgrade to the next block to catch it. We choose not to use the bus. We took a Taxi to the Aquarium and Zoo. I beleive it was like $15.00 for the four of us. The cost to the Aquarium and Zoo was $10.00 and that got you into both. It was well worth the price. The gift shop there was the most reasonable place for souveniers. It took us about 2 hours to go thru both. But you can go at your own speed, faster or slower. Everyone is different.

3. We did the Helmet Diving, which is I think, a must do. If you have never done it before. If you are planning on this, then make sure you book it before you go. There are two that I know of. Hartleys and Peppercorns.

The sight for Hartleys is http://www.hartleysbermuda.com We took Peppercorns, and we had a good time, but Hartleys is the way to go. We took Peppercorns because we got locked out of Hartleys. So if you are going to wait until you get on board to book, go to the excursion desk as soon as it opens and book this. It can sell out in only a few hours.

4. I have learned recently that the Bermuda Perfumery is closed, and also the Glass Blowing factory over in Hamilton Parish is closed. There is still a glass blowing shop located at The Royal Dockyards. We had a piece created for us. We have had many compliments on it. Just be prepared, the glass blowing items are expensive because they are hand crafted. The rum cake shop is also located in the same area, and offers free samples of all types. Delicious, once you try you will buy. They offer sampler packages if you cant decide on one kind.

5. St. George is the best for shopping. Its small cobblestone streets with many small quaint shops and restaurants area is another must see. We found a nice art shop right near where the ship docks and bought some nice watercolor priints. You will love St. George. It is a must see for sure. The Deliverance is a replica of an early ship that first came to Bermuda and is docked there. Tours can be taken on this. The area offers many photo opportunities and good shopping with the locals.

6. Horseshoe Bay Beach is where we went and found beautiful small coves that are paradise. Dont miss the small cove off to the right side of the beach when you enter. There are many taxis available, to leave whenever you want. All Taxi drivers were extrememly friendly and helpful. Be careful with the waves as they are alot stronger then the waves on our beaches here.

7. They Royal Dockyards, we ate at the Frog and the Onion. We had a party of 4, we each had a hamburger/fries and a coke. It came to $80.00 USD. That was without the tip. The snorkel park beach was under construction when we were there and is now open. It as very nice when we were there. We did not have the opportunity to go to Dolphin Quest as we did not familiar ourself with the island before going. This is the most important part for your trip. You must do your homework and know where everything is in order to get it all done in the time alloted that you have.

Sorry for so long, I could go on forever about such a beautful place. Enjoy and if you have any specific questions that I didnt cover, please ask.

Optifire: Thanks for the helpful info on Bermuda. As you can see, we are getting closer to our turn. Since our summers are so opressively hot here in Texas, we chose to go in May and it sounds like the weather will be delightful.

Will the water be too cold to swim in?

Claudia

Claudia:

When we did the helmet diving in May, Peppercorn and Hartleys both were offering wet suits to anyone that wanted to wear them due to the cold water.

We and most of the others, chose not to use the wet suit. The water was cold once you started down the ladder, but no different then if you are going swimming for the first time this season here. Once in the water, we were fine. It is not as if it was so cold that you could not stand it and wanted to come up. In fact, they take you down in groups usually of like 5. When we came up, we opted to stay in the water on floaties while the others went down for their dive. The water was a bit choppie, but not cold enough to make it impossible to do.

Thank you so much for the helpful information and for taking the time to write, I am so looking forward to it. I will try and get all the information ahead of time so when we get there we won't be so lost. A very must see for me is the dolphins, I always wanted to swim with them hopefuly this time I can. The helmet dive sounds like fun, did you feel clostrophobic at all, I think that would be my main concern.

We did not have a problem with feeling clostrophobic, but there was one girl on board who had to abort as soon as they put the helmet on her. She really freaked out. It was sad too, as she is the one in her group that talked everyone into doing the dive and everyone was able to go down but her.

That is one of the differences with Peppercorn also. Their helmets are not as nice as Hartleys. Hartleys from what I have seen pictures of, their helmets you can see on the sides also. However with Peppercorns, in less they have changed since last May, You could only see in front of you. If you do the helmet dive, with whoever, make sure to take an underwater disposable camera. The pics really come out good. If you shoudl forget, they sell them on board the cruise ship. I think we paid $14.99. The pics came out really good i was amazed. Hartleys, I beleive also, for a fee, will take a pic of you down there, may even be included in your tour, not sure.; whereas Peppercorns, you are on your own mostly with only the cameras you bring.

Also forgot to mention in reference to you question about the taxis, we are booked already with VIP Taxi Service. He will only charge us $35.50 per hour for a group of 4 to go where we want. So we booked him for the day..from 10am -4pm. We figured it out, and for each of us for the entire day (6 hours) it will only cost us $53.25. Some of the shore excursions for only a few hours cost more then that. And this way, we can go when we want and leave when we want...he will be there for us. No waiting in lines for buses, or Ferries. A good place to find things ahead to book you can check out http://www.bermudayp.com That is the yellow pages in Bermuda. When it comes up just key in Taxis in the search and it will bring them all up if you want to book your tour in advance. He was the cheapest of them all as I wrote to all those listed. His name was Lloyd Smart. Hope this helps.

Archived