laska Native Heritage Centre in Anchorage.

JakiesMom

Looking for reviews from people that have had the opportunity to visit the Alaska Native Heritage Centre in Anchorage.

My family and I will be renting a car while in port for the day, and we are looking to take in as many sights as possible.

Approximately how long should we allow to thoroughly enjoy our visit to visit the Center?

Any advise would be appreciated

Thank you.

A lot depends on what you and your family like to do. We thought it was interesting and worth a stop if you have the time, but definitely was not a highlight of our trip. (We are nature and scenery people) I think we spent 2-2 1/2 hours there. They have several different videos to watch. So, if you want to see them all, it would take some time. They have a number of different live performances. Again, if you want to see all of them, that will fill some time. Then they have outdoor displays with people at each one to explain them to you. You know your family best and what their interests are. It is a place you could probably spend all day, or an hour, depending on what interests you.

Looking for reviews from people that have had the opportunity to visit the Alaska Native Heritage Centre in Anchorage.

My family and I will be renting a car while in port for the day, and we are looking to take in as many sights as possible.

Approximately how long should we allow to thoroughly enjoy our visit to visit the Center?

Any advise would be appreciated

Thank you.

Even though I live here I've been there several times and enjoy it. This is also something I recommend to my family and friends that come to visit.

I'd say 2 to 2 1/2 hours would be a good time estimate. There are exhibits inside and outside as well as live entertainment, which can range from story tellers to dance groups.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Even though I live here I've been there several times and enjoy it. This is also something I recommend to my family and friends that come to visit.

I'd say 2 to 2 1/2 hours would be a good time estimate. There are exhibits inside and outside as well as live entertainment, which can range from story tellers to dance groups.

Susan,

Thank you for your post.

Since you are a local, I would love to pick your brain about what else you believe would be some sights that you would recommend. We were up in Alaska last July and went southbound on a 10 hour shore excursion through the ship. We went aboard the Alaskan Railroad and then took a scenic float at Spencer Glacier. It was a beautiful trip but we unfortunately were unable to stop and take in the sights.

So, that being said... I believe that we are going to venture northbound this time.

My family and I ( I in my early 40's, my 11 yo daughter and my folks) will be renting a car downtown. I have reserved the car from 9:00am and to return the car by 10:00pm tentatively.

So far we have a tour scheduled at Martin Buser's Happy Trails Kennels, but we have tossed around a few ideas of a couple of stops in and around this general area, i.e Musk Ox Farm, Reindeer Farm, and a visit to the Spirit Houses of Eklutna, Alaska.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Susan,

Thank you for your post.

Since you are a local, I would love to pick your brain about what else you believe would be some sights that you would recommend. We were up in Alaska last July and went southbound on a 10 hour shore excursion through the ship. We went aboard the Alaskan Railroad and then took a scenic float at Spencer Glacier. It was a beautiful trip but we unfortunately were unable to stop and take in the sights.

So, that being said... I believe that we are going to venture northbound this time.

My family and I ( I in my early 40's, my 11 yo daughter and my folks) will be renting a car downtown. I have reserved the car from 9:00am and to return the car by 10:00pm tentatively.

So far we have a tour scheduled at Martin Buser's Happy Trails Kennels, but we have tossed around a few ideas of a couple of stops in and around this general area, i.e Musk Ox Farm, Reindeer Farm, and a visit to the Spirit Houses of Eklutna, Alaska.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

It's been years since I've been to the Spirit Houses. Though close to that would be the trail to Thunderbird Falls http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/maps/thunderbirdfallsguide.pdf

I haven't been to the Happy Trails Kennels, but one year at a conference that our agency hosted, they had him come in with a sled a couple of dogs to pull and puppies. You'll love the puppies :)

I've not been to the Musk Ox or Reindeer Farm as I see those when I visit the Alaska Zoo here in Anchorage (I'm a zoo partner to the moose).

If you were interested in the Iditarod, you could always stop there before or after Martin's place as it's off the Parks Highway on the way to Big Lake http://www.iditarod.com/aboutus/headquarters.html

That's all I can really think of going that way on the Glenn and then heading down the Parks Highway to Big Lake.

As an Alaskan, let me put in my 2 cents here also. I think that the Native Heritage center would be a good way to see the Native way of life here as it was not too many years ago....and in many ways, still similar...You can "do it" in a couple of hours but if you listen to the stories and become interested in the craftsmen working there or like the dancing you can spend all day there. I think you should see the Alaskan museum also. They have very good exhibits and the 2 places have a combination ticket in which you can save a few bucks. The musk ox farm is enjoyable...It is a well done presentation. The reindeer farm is much more casual..and everyone gets to feed them. They have a couple of rescue Moose there as well as a herd of Elk...The elk are not tame but like to be fed grass from the fence. You learn a bit of about reindeer....and why Santa's reindeer are all girls...and you feed the...They are very tame and they are all over you. It can be a bit overwhelming if you are under 4 years old :) They are close by each other so you can do that easily. Now...the dog sled stuff. Martin has a very good tour....but you cannot go on a cart ride at all. You learn about the race..you see a mock check point and you see puppies. Up the road a bit, there is Dream a dream Dog Farm run by Vern Halter. He gives a tremendous show....I think that it is the best one in Alaska and I have been to all of them, as I am involved with racing dogs. He does give sled dog rides...and I think that your child would love to go one one of them. It is quite exciting. He also (usually) gives puppie walks through his forest...It is a lot of fun to take 20 puppies for a walk in the woods...Lots to do here.....I would also stop by the Iditarod Hdqts in Wasilla to learn a bit of what all of this is about....and why it is so important to Alaskans. The spirit houses in Ekluntna are very interesting. It combines Russian Orthodoxy and their native beliefs. It is an active cemetary and it costs about % bucks for a tour these days....Last year's prices. The tours are usually given by the Russian Orthodox priest. You can combine it with a walk to Thunderbird falls. 1 mile in....1 mile out....very pretty take mosquito repellant...It is across the highway from the spirtit houses. Oh hey, there is the oldest Russian Orthodox church there, bult in the 1700:s (?) when the Russians were here. It is an old log structure...Have fun in Alaska...Don't pet a wild moose...they are grumpy...:)

Archived