Rhapsody Review.... Spring Break 2005 !

Hi Boo's Mom,

First of all I don't remember if I have told you thank you x100 for posting your review. We leave on the Rhapsody on Sunday so I was very excited to read your review. One more question, please? I'm trying to plan my wardrobe, which nights are the formal nights?

The formal nights..... Monday (sea day) and Thursday (Grand Cayman).

..................................................................................................

oops...my question above about the broken windshield....was not to you, Cindyrella, sorry. It was to whoever was writing to you. :)

TXMary,

We are booked at Holiday Inn on the Beach for next Saturday night. How did you like it?

Another question--my husband would like to see a little bit of Galveston before we board, is it impractical to take a taxi to the Strand for a few hours on Sunday morning? Will anything be open? Personally, I would rather get on that ship ASAP but we Moms are always trying to please everybody.

There are some good sights in the Strand area. Since I'm here everyday, I don't get out as much as I should, but I still love walking around and looking at the shops. I believe you will have plenty of time to look around before and after you board. Since I am at the office when the ships are in port (what a view from my office window!!!!!), I see quite a few people walking around and sightseeing before the horn is sounded to re-board the ship. The Strand is one block from the ship, and it goes about 2 blocks in either direction (as far as good shopping goes). You won't need a taxi from the ship to the Strand. I hope you get a chance to visit the Strand

• 3 weeks later...

Boo's Mom

Can you tell me how long it takes the tenders to get from the ship to the dock in Grand Cayman? How many does each one take and do they take the RCI excursion people first? We will be there in June...hope the weather is better!:rolleyes:

Boo's Mom

Can you tell me how long it takes the tenders to get from the ship to the dock in Grand Cayman? How many does each one take and do they take the RCI excursion people first? We will be there in June...hope the weather is better!:rolleyes:

Once you are on the tender....it only takes about 10 minutes to get to Land. However....getting on the tender is the issue.

For Grand Cayman....if you do not have a priority tender pass (suites, for sure) ...I would highly recommend that you book you excursion with RCI. If you have an excursion booked with them...they will get you off in time to meet your excursion.

If doing an independent tour, (without priority tender) you will need to book it for late in the morning....to ensure that you will be able to get to it.

As I think I mentioned above.....it we did not have a priority tender pass...we would never have made our independent tour.

All of this ...of course...hangs on whether or not you even stop in Grand Cayman....and then if they even allow the tender process to occur.

RCI does not care about your excursion time...if you have booked independently. One could try to ask to get off at a certain time, but their priority is to get their tours off in time.

How many fit on the tender? It depends on what boat they use. Most of the time they will use one of the lifeboats from the ship you are on. I have seen them hire a boat from a Land Company. Sometimes, excursion companies will come out to your ship...and pick up a boatload of people for a tour. Either way.....it is usually a lot of folks...like 50..or more. But, that isn't a lot, if you think about 2000 passengers on the ship.

I hope this is helpful......

Boo's Mom,

Thank you for the great review of your Rhapsody experience.

We're booked in the Rhapsody's RS in July. Since there is no concierge club, who did you contact to get priority tender tickets?

We've sailed in the Penthouse Suite on Carnival, and from the photos we've viewed of the RS...there is NO comparison in decor, space, or amenities. We're looking forward to our first RCCL cruise.

~Stir

• 2 weeks later...

Boo's Mom, thanks for all the great info. You mentioned there was good music in the atrium. DW and I like to dance and enjoyed Enchantment a couple of years ago. They had a great trio that played Frank Sinatra/Tony Bennett/Cole Porter type stuff at various times of day. We loved it. Is this similar? Reason we ask is that we missed this on Navigator. Bigger ship, no room for dance floor. Imagine!

Boo's Mom - we were on this cruise as well, and it is good to hear the inside scoop on Grand Cayman. We were extremely disappointed as we were the first one's denied tendering, but I am glad to hear that Costa Maya was in bad shape, too. I know that we are at the mercy of the weather, but it doesn't change our disappointment. The captain came on several times giving us updates and telling us that he was having difficulty keeping the ship in the proper position. You could tell from the engines and the movement of the ship that he was struggling. We were on deck 1 at the place where the tender boats come up and the (assistant captain -- not sure) was yelling at the tender boat in almost a panicked voice, telling him to "get away!! get away!!" when the waves were at their highest. Obviously they take safety as their first priority, which is good.

This was our first cruise and probably our last. While I had my expectations low on the food, my actual experience came in below our already low expectations. For the most part, it is just plain bad food. The ribeye steak that I ordered was not ribeye, but rather a poor quality thin cut of prime rib. The New York strip was fatty and tough, the overcooked lobster was served with melted butter, not drawn butter, the pizza in the solarium was akin to Totino's frozen pizza heated improperly. If I went to a restaurant and was served this type of food, I would never go back to that restaurant again. Anytime TGI Friday's can boast better food, you know you're pretty much the low end of the totem pole. Food on RCI: just plain nasty.

One other thing -- how in the heck does a cruise ship run out of limes on the morning of the 5th day? No Mojitos, no micheladas, no cuba libres, no corona with lime (no, it isn't the same with a lemon). It is a small thing, but I just couldn't understand it.

I felt the service was very good, especially our waiter and assistant waiter. My family rarely ate more than half our meals due to poor quality, and they would bend over backwards to suggest something else. By the end of the cruise, my daughters were only ordering salad, and the waiter would always bring something he thought they would enjoy. The only thing about the meal service is I always felt as if the objective was to get me out of the dining room as soon as possible. Maybe it was the way the waiters were frantically running about the dining room -- it was definately not relaxing.

On the good side, I liked the coffee. I was impressed that it was fresh, strong and hot. I thought the shows were very entertaining (for the most part); they were not Broadway quality by any stretch, but they were professionally done. They exceeded my expectations. With almost no exceptions, I thought that the staff on board really wanted me and my family to have a good time.

It appears that you can wear whatever you want to dinner. On the formal nights, I saw everything from tuxedos to shorts, t-shirts and sandals.

We did one excursion in Cozumel. It was a snorkel / Playa Mia tour. One snorkel stop of 30 minutes followed by one of 20 minutes, and then 2 hours on a small beach with probably 500 other people. There was a buffet lunch that was even worse than the food on the Rhapsody. It wasn't worth the $366 that we paid, but it did get us off the ship, and the family had fun.

I don't know how people view cruises as a bargain. $8,500 for a family of 5 is really, really expensive (that includes one balcony, one inside room, excursion, parking, tips, and extras while on board). We spent a week in Playa del Carmen at an AI resort on the beach and spent only $5,000, and that included airfare.

Melted butter, not drawn? Are you kidding me?!?!?! I'd be happy with a pat of Parkay held over a candle! Of course I also happen to enjoy TGI Friday's. Takes all kinds I guess . . . .

Boo's Mom, many thanks for the response, that's good news. We were leaning to Rhapsody rather than a mega-ship anyway. And a boat-load of Texans must be a hoot. I lived in Texas for six years (top end of Arlington) and have fond memories.

Archived