To civitavecchia from Rome FCO...

Hello everyone!

Me and my significant other will be traveling to Civitavecchia Port to depart on a Carnival Cruise scheduled to depart at 7PM on July 20th, 2005. We will be arriving at FCO, Rome airport around 10:00 to 11:00 AM on the 20th of July and will be taking the Metro service into Rome arriving at Termini Station and leaving Termini Station en route for Civitavecchia Port without much delay using Trenitalia train services. Once at the port, from what I understand, it is about a 10 minute walk to the exact point of port. We will probably take a taxi (Quoted at 10 Euros) because of luggage.

We are looking for people of the same schedule or similar to hopefully travel with from FCO airport to Civitavecchia Port just for comfortability, just because this will be a new uncharted place for us (from USA) and probably many other people as well. For any people that do respond, cardboard signs with your names will be used at the airport to locate everyone that we will be meeting. Times are very flexible!

Heres the itenerary again:

Arriving FCO airport Rome @ 8:00 - 11:00 AM July 20th

Waiting for Group Members @ 8:00 AM - FLEXIBLE

Departing FCO airport @ FLEXIBLE

Arriving Termini Station Rome Center by 1:00 PM

Departing Termini Station on Trenitalia Train Service @ ***WITHOUT DELAY***

Arriving Civitavecchia Port APPROX 45 MINS - 1 HOUR by NO LATER THAN 3:00 PM

From Civitavecchia Station to Port APPROX 10 MINS Walk or TAXI (10-20 Euros APPROX)

I hope this helps for atleast one couple out there, please contact *blessedbe111 at yahoo dot com* ATTN:DAN if you have questions or would be interested in meeting.

Thank you! Good Day!

• 4 weeks later...

Not a big deal, but just so you know, we couldn't get anyone to take us for less than 20 euro last summer because of the short trip and luggage. Even at that it was well worth it - it's a hike - and in that heat - take the taxi.

Instead of going thru all of that hassle in trying to save a few $, Carnival has transfers TO the dock from the airport. I think they're $65 one way pp. Let them worry about you. Italian trains are notorius for either not being on time, changing schedules, etc.. You'll be glad you took the ship's t'fer--instead of transferring trains, waiting for times, and dragging luggage. You won't be in any mood considering jetlag.

Hi, blessedbee111,

Your plans look great! You are obviously an A+ researcher and a detail-oriented planner--so am I. We've made both legs of that trip (FCO-Termini & Civ-port), although not both at the same time as you are doing. Based on our experiences, plus the positive reports of others who have done the full transfer FCO-port, you should be able to carry this out with relative ease.

There are two considerations I might add:

First, the issue of train reliability in Italy. IMO, it is not really accurate to say Italian trains are always late, changing schedules, etc. I think it's fair to say the train system is not as efficient as the Swiss railway system, which true to stereotype generally runs like clockwork! However, when there is no labor strike, the commuter train lines servicing Rome actually do run fairly reliably per the schedules I know you have already printed out from the Trenitalia site. Nonetheless, because labor strikes are an issue in Italy, you should be prepared with a Plan "B," meaning researching in advance back-up taxi, airport shuttle services, bus lines, etc. Because you have a relatively early arrival into FCO, you have sufficient time to put a Plan B into operation so you don't "miss the boat," you just might have to pay a little more than you planned for that transfer. Here are two links that are helpful for checking the status of labor issues in Italy those last days before you leave the US:

http://*****.com/3ukna

http://*****.com/5x674 (in Italian, you'll need to use a translator on this page, Google's is easy and fairly provides a fairly decent translation, if you haven't learned that trick already)

Of course, once you land at FCO, you will be able to find out fairly immediately if there is any disruption in public transportation that day. And if there is, you will have your Plan B information and can check out those options and any others that the folks at the airport can suggest. Note that there are traveler's assistance/information offices at the airport and Termini. The English-speaking lines can get long when things happen. For that reason, sometimes, it truly works better to work on common sense, traveler's instinct *and* the confidence you have gained from doing your research and simply follow the signage and walk directly to, e.g., the ground transport kiosk, just like we have in our airports back home. (Carefully working through the FCO website, paying special attention to terminal maps, airport services, ground transport options, etc., will be a big help to you in figuring out your Plan B.)

Second, the issue of meeting up with others. In theory, that sounds like a very logical, fun and friendly plan. In reality, I, personally, think it sounds ambitious and an added stress. By analogy, your idea is like saying you'd like to meet some strangers traveling on an itinerary different than yours at New York's JFK and at Grand Central Station--and you've never been to either place before. FCO is a large, crowded airport--we've always encountered lines, delays and lots of confusion at FCO, even more so in recent years as Italy has come under a lot of pressure re: heightening security measures against terrorism, which is a good thing, but there are frequent security-related delays. Bottom line, then, once you get off your plane, clear all of the lines and get your luggage, I think you will feel a lot better about proceeding to make your transfer to Termini without hanging out looking for fellow cruisers. Once you get to Termini, it might be a little easier to meet others as cruisers begin to gather at the "binaro" (platform) where the Rome-Civ train pulls in/out all day. However, who knows exactly what time you will arrive and what time they will get there? And, again, it's a large, busy train station, with no convenient assembly place a bunch of "first timers" could agree upon in advance.

On top of everything, 24butterfly made an excellent point about jet lag. Your body & brain may not be cooperating while you try to navigate all of these new and unfamiliar logistics!

I don't mean to put a damper on your enthusiasm. As delightful as your idea sounds, I'm just trying to provide a realistic point of view based on experience. Maybe you will attract some others & can work out a simple plan. But certainly, the Plan B to that plan should, if we're not all at Point X by Time Certain, then no worries, we'll see you on the ship!

Your post provides an awesome blueprint for those who want to make the same ground transfer!

Have a wonderful time, blessedbe111!

I just went to the website posted in Artemis' previous email. I thought this might be of interest to cruisers leaving in the next few months:

"You are advised that there is currently a risk of unannounced wildcat strikes by transport workers in cities across Italy. However, you should be aware of the following pre-planned strikes:

• 19 April 2005: 12.00 to 16.00 Flight Assistants Alitalia
  • 20/21 April 2005: 21.00 to 2100 Railway Personnel
  • 22 April 2005: 10.00 to 18.00 Alitalia handling staff
  • 22 April 2005: 10.00 to 18.00 Local public transport, various times could be 24 hours in some areas
  • 23 April 2005: 12.30 to 16.30 Pilots Italian union strike
  • 9 May 2005: 10.00 to 14.00 Handling and tickets Linate and Malpensa Airports
  • 13 May 2005: 12.00 to 16.00 Air Traffic Control
  • 28 May 2005: 10.00 to 18.00 Alitalia Pilots
  • 06 June 2005: 12.00 to 16.00 Pilots Italian union strike
  • 26 June 2005: 12.30 to 16.30 Alitalia pilots"

Archived