Latest boarding time for 10pm departure San Juan Question

Hi,

Booked a cruise on the AOS out of San Juan in May. It departs that night at 10pm. We booked a flight that arrives in San Juan at 3:37pm that day, figuring that's more than enough time to get onboard before departure.

Now, a friend who's done previous RCI cruises says they want everyone onboard by 5pm at the latest. Is that true? There's no mention of that at all on their website. I'm going to be more than a little peeved if I have to reschedule my flight because of this small detail that wasn't mentioned.

Anyone have the real scoop on this? I'll be calling RCI tomorrow morning, anyway, to inquire, but just wondering what your experiences have been.

I am in the same position as you. We are going on the AOS for our honeymoon and our flight gets in at 3:30. Sure we would have liked to come in a day early and not cut it this close but we didnt have another choice since we are getting married the day before. I think we will be fine. They might want everyone on board by 5, but normally you dont HAVE to be on board until around an hour before departure time.

I spoke with a very helpful RCI rep today, and she told me that for the AOS 10pm departures out of San Juan, US Customs normally clears the ship for boarding at around 3pm or 3:30ish. So, our arrival at San Juan Airport at 3:37 is not too far off from the earliest boarding time, anyway.

She said that the rule they try to adhere is that you be onboard at least 2 hours prior to scheduled departure time, which would be 8pm, in this instance.

I asked about transfers from the airport, and she said it's $20/person round-trip, which isn't bad. I did mention that I've heard that the bus won't leave until nearly full, and she said that it's about a 50 seat bus, so they're not going to take 4 people without waiting for another flight to arrive. However, the wait wouldn't be all that long.

She mentioned that we could always change our minds and take a cab, and get credited for the transfer fee if we so decided.

I asked about transfers from the airport, and she said it's $20/person round-trip, which isn't bad. I did mention that I've heard that the bus won't leave until nearly full, and she said that it's about a 50 seat bus, so they're not going to take 4 people without waiting for another flight to arrive. However, the wait wouldn't be all that long.
3:30 flight should be just fine!

I suggest you skip the RCI transfers and just take a cab. Less expensive and you won't have to wait!

We were on AOS last month and folks were still boarding during the 8:00 P.M. muster (lifeboat) drill.

Enjoy your wedding and don't worry about it!! :) :)

heheh I think you have me confused with another poster, as I'm already married.

We did that deed at an all-inclusive resort in Negril, Jamaica 5 years ago (highly recommended, by the way).

Anyway, thanks for the update.

I am in the same position as you. We are going on the AOS for our honeymoon and our flight gets in at 3:30. Sure we would have liked to come in a day early and not cut it this close but we didnt have another choice since we are getting married the day before. I think we will be fine. They might want everyone on board by 5, but normally you dont HAVE to be on board until around an hour before departure time.
Heyitsrick - sorry for the confusion. Wedding Congrats for cruisechik66!! :)

Travel tips / Happy Cruisin' for All!! :D

Just took the Serenade out of San Juan two weeks ago - I miss it terribly!

We had a 10pm departure, but they want you on the ship no later than 9pm. Boarding in the ticket info said 4pm, but of course, some people were on board much earlier in the day. The muster drill is at 8pm, so if you're not on board by then, you'll have to do muster-make-up (whatever that is!).

Our flight was scheduled to arrive at 2:55pm, but due to flight delays we got in around 3:30pm. Beware - the San Juan airport (baggage claim) is a zoo!!! It takes quite a while to stand around and wait for the luggage from your flight to arrive on one of the carousels. Until it comes, you can spend your time taking bets with your fellow air travelers as to which carousel will have your luggage (no one who works at the airport will be able to tell you!).

After you find your luggage, you find the folks who will provide your airport transfer, then stand for a while in whatever spot they designate. After they have everyone collected, you form a long parade to the bus.

Next time I go, I'll definitely skip the transfer and grab a taxi.

By the way, we were in our stateroom by about 5:00pm.

Archived