Please help with Norweigen Gem stateroom question

cg1644

CG...make sure that you bring some real Ginger Gum. It is sold in the motion sickness section of most Drug Stores. I think that SeaBand brand makes such a product. It is all natural, spicy-delicious and it works. My wife, daughter and myself hit turbulent water leaving Boston on our way to Bermuda. Many people on the ship were sick. We chewed this gum and within moments, we all felt better.

ALSO, when you have a balcony (particulary an AFT balcony), if you or he get a little queezy, open the balcony doors/shades, lay down with your head on your pillow and stare off into the distance at the horizon. The rocking becomes less bothersome and even a bit soothing.

Or, you can go see a Doctor and get some drugs that may or may not do the trick. They usually come with side effects and contraindications.

Tell him not to worry, you two will have the best time!

Me and my fiance will be taking a cruise for our honeymoon on May 2012. We are going on the Norweigen Gem. We are not sure what cabin to choose because this is our very first cruise and we are terrified of motion sickness. He wants to stick to the middle of the boat and get a mini suite balcony stateroom but I think its too small and want to go for something more extravagant for our honeymoon! I was thinking either the penthouse balcony aft or the courtyard Villa. The courtyard Villa is mid ship BUT its deck 14 so I hear the higher up the more it rocks. The penthouse balcony is a lower deck BUT its in the back of the boat and not midship. I am so confused on which room to pick. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks so much!!

First of all, don't let anyone try to convince you that these ships are built so that motion sickness isn't an issue anymore. If you get motion sickness on a regular basis (cars, buses, etc), no amount of technology is going to prevent it on a ship or boat.

Optimal cabin choice for someone with motion sickness is lower in the ship and towards the FRONT.

That being said, those "bracelet" things never helped me. Dramamine and Bonine made me tired. Also - those things need to be taken BEFORE you get full on motion sickness.

The ONLY thing that works for me, and has worked for every cruise, is the patch. (The brand name is Transderm Scop.) It is available by prescription, and has to be put on at least a few hours before getting on the ship.

FYI - I speak from experience - about both the seasick remedies and the location of the cabin.

Judging by my friend and the numerous people I've seen on the ship wearing the patches, most people don't seem listen to the alcohol recommendation, LOL. :D

ha-ha I'm one of those! I had a patch and felt great!! I didn't feel sleepy when I drank at all...not one bit! ......zzz haha

The patch was great - much better than Dramamine or bracelet and other pills. When we go in Oct I am going to get them again.

I am very prone to motion sickness and will get sick if riding in the back seat of a car for very long. I started Bonine the day before the cruise and took one each morning and evening until disembarkation. We were in the most forward mini-suite on the starboard side of deck 12 of the Sun and we had quite a bit of motion (mostly at night) and I was fine. It didn't make me tired although it can affect people differently and I definitely drank while taking it.

I agree that Bermuda is much better than the Bahamas IMHO. I have been on the Gem and am going on the Star in Jan. We cruised the Gem in Europe when she was there and did not have any issues except for some high winds on the last day. The wind caused it to feel strong side to side. In all my years of cruising, there has not been any other issues with motion.

Go for the best you can afford and enjoy your honeymoon. Perhaps the better question would be "which cabins provide better soundproofing". :p Seeing your "neighbor" at Cagney's for breakfast could be awkward but you do have the "we are honeymooners" excuse. :D

Have fun!!!

Archived