Kauai Airplane Tours: Advice?

namaste1223

First, let me thank everyone for the valuable information this newbie has found in all of your posts. I've gotten much inspiration from you all!

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about Kauai airplane tours. Which would you recommend: Air Ventures Hawaii or Wings Over Kauai? Are there other companies I've missed? I'm a reluctant flyer, so a helicopter tour is definitely out, but I think I can manage an hour in an airplane. The incredible scenery and experience will make it worthwhile... Thanks!

I am booked with Airventures per the recommendations by Ginny who went there in April. Read her review of the flight which start on post 124. I can't wait. Although I've ready many reviews of Wings over Hawaii too and I haven't read any review that was bad. I think you can't go wrong with the fixed wing planes. But the views from the windows on Airventures may be better.

Thank you, Lisa for your reply! I too am thinking Air Ventures might be a good choice because of the window views. Also, when I called for information I spoke to a lovely woman named Nicole. She made this nervous flyer feel very much at ease. I had a good feeling about the company when I hung up. She gave me a great tip for those who are not thrilled with the prospect of being weighed in: All the backpacks, purses, etc. that will fly with your group must be weighed also. If you are nervous about the weigh-in, be the one to carry the bags. The person doing the weighing (the only one who will even see the number on the scale!) won't know how much of the number is you and how much is the bags!

We took the AirVentures combo tour in May on the morning of our 2nd day on POA (Friday). It included the flight and then a cruise on the Wailua River to the fern grottos. The flight was great. There really is nothing to be concerned about with the weigh in as it is really only necessary to even the weight out on the plane. The reason why we didn't do the helicopter tour is because each passenger had to be less than 250 and my friend was slightly over that weight and would have had to pay half price for another seat making his cost a little too much. The plane had the wings overhead instead of below, so everyone had a great view. It was a wonderful experience, and I would definitely do it again.

The fern grotto is not what it used to be, but it is still very nice. The tour company puts on a little hawaiian show for everyone at the fern grotto and on the boat. They also gave us a little hula lesson, and that was fun. One of the entertainers was an old man who, when he was young, was the man blowing the shell in the beginning of Elvis's movie Blue Hawaii. Pretty cool.

Have fun.

We took the AirVentures combo tour in May on the morning of our 2nd day on POA (Friday). It included the flight and then a cruise on the Wailua River to the fern grottos. The flight was great. There really is nothing to be concerned about with the weigh in as it is really only necessary to even the weight out on the plane. The reason why we didn't do the helicopter tour is because each passenger had to be less than 250 and my friend was slightly over that weight and would have had to pay half price for another seat making his cost a little too much. The plane had the wings overhead instead of below, so everyone had a great view. It was a wonderful experience, and I would definitely do it again.

The fern grotto is not what it used to be, but it is still very nice. The tour company puts on a little hawaiian show for everyone at the fern grotto and on the boat. They also gave us a little hula lesson, and that was fun. One of the entertainers was an old man who, when he was young, was the man blowing the shell in the beginning of Elvis's movie Blue Hawaii. Pretty cool.

Have fun.

That is very cool! We are going to do a tour of the Fern Grotto that is included in a 6 hr. tour of the northern/eastern coast of Kauai on our first morning in port. I'm glad to hear the river/grotto part of the tour won't be a total waste, as I've been reading some people feel the Fern Grotto isn't the same as it used to be.

Noone in our family would have to pay for an extra half seat on a helicoptor, but because I'm a "reluctant" flyer, the airplane sounded best (safer) to me - especially considering the price is much less than a helicoptor and the coupon from the Entertainment Book for Hawaii gives us an additional 25% off!

Archived