International sim card

cruzluvers

We are bringing an unlocked Palm Pixi Plus GSM smart phone to Europe with us. Can anyone recommend a sim card they have used with success in different countries (and reasonably priced)? The reviews of several companies are very mixed.

I have used ekit for a few years. Calls to the USA are $.49 a minute plus a $.35 connection fee. Works kind of funny--you dial the number, hang up and they call you back. But it works. You can buy direct from ekit.com or on ebay. I think it is a few dollars cheaper on ebay. One advantage is that you have an English phone number to give your family or friends before you leave.

You can also send and receive e-mails. I have never used it for data so cannot comment on that but for phone service, works great. I have used it all over Europe as well as Israel, Turkey and Egypt. Even used it in a southern Italian town far from any big city.

It also has a no-cost option that allows somebody to track your trip and to see if your phone can receive calls. You must give them the information on how to do this--it is not open to everyone.

I would warn you that it is somewhat confusing to understand all the directions because it is not always the way you are used to doing things.

This is not the only one out there. Several others seem about the same but since I have this one, I have continued to use it.

Ask your TA about Forum Telecom. They send you a phone, or you have the option of buying the phone if you travel a lot, and you pay 49 cents per minute for the phone and 25 cents per text. Sounds like a good way to stay in touch while you are away. You send the phone back when you get home from your trip.

Bobi

Archived