Help with B6 cabin on Pride of America

DH and I will be booking our POA cruise for September 15, 2012 on Monday with our TA. We have never sailed NCL before. We have sailed Carnival and RCL on which we had Inside cabins. On Princess we have had Inside, Obstructed OV, balcony and mini-suite. We really prefer a mid deck location. We are looking at Deck 7, cabin number 7524. It looks like the Madri Gras Lounge and Nightclub is beneath these cabins. What about the noise or vibration. Our next choice would be Deck 9, cabin 9528 or Deck 8, cabin 8520.

In looking at the picture of the ship, the B6 cabins appear to be an "inside balcony". Have not been able to find a picture of how these look. Looks like the railing is not the clear form of glass material that I have found on other ships. I really just do not know. Would love to hear from other cruisers who have had a B6 cabin. The balcony on the B6 cabins are over two times as large as regular balcony cabins. The interior of the cabins are the same square footage. I was also trying to select the last B6 in the "line of cabins" to be a little farther from the bow of the ship. We love the "side aft" cabins, I guess that is what they would be called. Last cabin on the port side before the back of the ship.

I thought I had until the last of the month to make the decison, however, accaording to an e-mail from NCL, the present deal expires on Monday.

Thanks for helping a Newbie to Cruise Critic as a member. I have read and studied these board for several years and gained tremendous knowledge that I put to use on past cruises.

We were in 8520 and were very happy with it. You are right that the "living space" inside is the same as other balcony cabins, but the balcony is much bigger. There was, what I would call, a traditional railing across the front and you could look through it when sitting. We loved the cabin since the balcony made the room feel bigger. It was a great place to start and end the day. The cabin was also on the port side which many posters recommend for seeing the Napolli (sp?) Coast on sail by.

Good luck - it is a great trip to take.

I can't remember excatly which cabin we were in, either 8520 or 9520, but it was wonderful. The balconies on those cabins are very spacious and makes the whole cabin seem bigger. The biggest bonus was the day of the Napali coast sailby. This is absolutely breathtaking, it is where they filmed the opening of Jurassic Park, as the helicopter flies in. The ship goes in very close to the coast and goes very slowly, enabling you to get some wonderful pictures. Those with port balconies could just sit in the convenience of their own cabin and enjoy the afternoon. The ship does turn to head back to Honolulu, but when it is going the other direction, it goes faster and you are further out. If you have a starboard cabin, you would want to be on the deck for the sailby. I would stay away from a cabin over the nightclub. This is a pretty quiet ship, but I am sure you would still hear base sounds thumping into the night. I always prefer a cabin between two decks of cabins, much quieter. Since it is so early, you certainly have plenty of choices. Enjoy your trip, it is a great cruise.

I ditto everything said by QueenofEverything (BTW great name). Countrygirl, you and your DH are going to love this cruise, especially if you have never been to Hawaii before. We have been to Hawaii, but never on a cruise, and we had the time of our lives. You can read my review on the Hawaii boards. It is more about our golfing experience at each port, but it touches on other things as well. Make sure you see Kauai by air. We did an airplane ride and it was fantastic. Also, go to Dukes for dinner on the first night in Kauai, and save room for the hula pie. It's out of this world.

Balcony sizes also interest me. We are doing POA in January 2012. The NCL TA booked us on Deck 8 Rm 8062 starboarad - is this a good room to see the volcano sail by? Now I am interested in the B6 balconies , but just curious about so far to the front of the ship - does anyone know if I would feel much motion towards the front? Thanks for the help!

Balcony sizes also interest me. We are doing POA in January 2012. The NCL TA booked us on Deck 8 Rm 8062 starboarad - is this a good room to see the volcano sail by? Now I am interested in the B6 balconies , but just curious about so far to the front of the ship - does anyone know if I would feel much motion towards the front? Thanks for the help!

I didn't feel much motion, but reactions to sailing differ for everyone.

As I said in my earlier post I think most would agree port side is best for the Nappoli Coast since the volcano sailby is pretty quick, at night (or dusk), and some have said the lava isn't running, but that may change before you sail.

The B6's do have much bigger balconies if you plan to use one a bit while on the cruise.

Good luck with your planning.

We felt very little motion. I have heard that you might on the night you travel from Kona to Kauai as it is the longest distance. The volcano sailby is very iffy, somedays are good and some not. We saw very little lava. The Napali coast is spectacular, IMHO, I'd go for a port cabin, near the front as the large balconies are wonderful.

I sailed in cabin 9518 last year on the Pride. It was terrific, especially since we had three people in the cabin. The balcony is larger than the standard balconies. It is not a solid railing, but the usual barred railing that you can see through. The inside of the cabin is the same as other balcony cabins.

I was not disturbed by movement at this location. Like you, I prefer the aft side cabins because my worst experience with movement was when I had the first cabin from the bow. This location on the Pride has no more movement than my usual aft cabin.

The portside is the best side for this sailing. The Na Pali and North Shore sail by on Kauai lasts about three hours (2:00-5:00 p.m.) and is during the day. It is spectacular and you will be able to view it all from your balcony. The lava flow sail by is from starboard side, but it is short (about 20 minutes) just go up to Promenade deck for that. I would grab the deck 8 or 9 cabin now! I would not take the deck 7 cabin due to potentiol noise issues.

I recommend that you avoid 7524 and go up a deck. The noise from the Madri Lounge can be head once the music starts playing at night. We were in 7522 and managed to sleep with the noise, however, if you are a light sleeper it may be enough to keep you awake. The room was fine and the balcony very large.

DT

Thanks everyone for the great help to a "newbie" here on Cruise Critic. I checked and cabin number 8520 does appear to be available. I will be seeing our TA tomorrow. This summer we had the last mini suite on Emerald on Golden Princess. It was over one of the night clubs. We did experience a little noise but it did not bother us that much...but to be on the safe side, we are going with 8520.

Archived