voyager help. please

mledet

I am traveling with my mother, her brother, sisters and all their spouses in July. all spouses are living except my dad....thus the reason I'm traveling on this particular trip with her. All are senior citizens except me. Will there be interesting things for me to do apart from that bunch. Will there be anyone closer to my age on the cruise? I'm 43. I love my family and am looking forward to spending time with them, but I think from time to time I'd like some company closer to my age. Anyone have any knowledge of travelers in this situation? How's Radisson? I've only been on Carnival and RCCL in the past. Long journey far from home ......any ideas/suggestions?

Hard to say, although RSSC tends to attract an older crowd. You didn't mention how old your relatives are. They could be any where from 63 to 83 (or more or less). One good thing is that it is a short cruise so people still engaged in a profession are more likely to be going. You may find some couples with kids in tow, but don't know how much they'll want to party or whatever.

During the day you can certainly put your mother and the gang on one of the tour buses and go your own way.

I think your best bet would be to contact all your friends, including those that you haven't seen for a while, younger relatives, people you work with or go to church with and talk up the cruise. Then you'll take along your own age crowd.

Otherwise it will be depend on how gregarious and how flexible you are.

CMI

Well, I'm going to be on Voyager in 6 weeks in the Med. I'm 45, and I know of at least a couple other people in my age group who are going to be on the same cruise (met through a roll-call here). Yes, I do believe you will see an older demographic on this cruise than on the lines you mentioned, but I'd be willing to bet there will be plenty of others near your age on board.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time! :)

LeeAnne

July is a vacation time and a lot of younger people/families are traveling. In November or March all you see (almost) would be older folks. But I wouldn't worry about that in July and in European itenary. You'll have plenty of people your age and younger for company.

I'd suggest you have your TA include you in the "singles" group. This is an easy way to meet interesting passengers, both male and female, who aren't part of a couple. You won't be under any obligation to spend time with other singles or be part of a "group"..there'll be a cocktail "meet and greet" right after sailaway. From there on you'll have friendly faces to approach when you want to escape from family. I have yet to sail "single" without meeting somebody I really liked spending time with. Also, if it is offered, consider the Cordon Bleu classes. It'll give you some "private" time as well.

Thank you all so much for the tips and advice.

The oldest in my group will be 80 right before we sail, and the youngest is mid 60s.

Well.....other than me, of course.

I, too, have cruised, but always with my son (single mom) and on ships where things are quite different. No luxury for me so far. So, I'm looking forward to it for many reasons.

I'm quite gregarious, and rarely meet a stranger, so I'll fare pretty well. Was just curious as to what frame of mind I needed to be in and who'd be my company. :)

Thanks again!

Happy sailing.

One other possibility might be some of the people on board to give lectures, entertainers and other short-termers who are not really crew but not really passengers. Many of them travel alone so are very happy to have an outgoing person with whom to socialize.

Many years ago, at a very young age, my wife and I took our first cruise together. I was startled one day to receive an invitation for cocktails in the staff captain's cabin. He was a lively British chap who invited us because (unbeknownst to me) he sat at the next table facing my wife with her dazzling smile. We became fast friends and were included in a number of his activities, including a private beach party.

Too bad you'r not on the Voyager in June when we are; my wife would find you in a minute (and since she's a baby boomer, we're still south of 60). But I know you'll have a great time. Just give everyone your best smile and you can't go wrong.

Radisson has lots of people your age and younger. Chat Cat in Ca and Mr. Levin of these boards were on this site with us. Because they offer very attractive rates for singles, there was a large contingent on my cruise.

In Bermuda out of NYC the best Itinerary is Celebrity Zenith as you get two days each in Hamilton and St Georges. You will get two days in Hamilton, one in St Georges and one in Norfolk on Radisson. On RCCL you get two days in Kings Wharf (the least desirable port - you can easily take a fast ferry to visit it from Hamilton). Have not been on the NCL Crown – hear the cabins are very small.

What do I is go on all three this year. But the best in my opinion is Radisson for the ship, accommodations and service. The food on Celebrity and Radisson is tops. On RCCL – well you have sailed on this line. I found it to be somewhat mediocre – not as good as the food on Carnival which I very much liked.

Jeanne

Archived