Things to carry while crusing

pgk123

A good attitude: remember there are anywhere from 2 - 4K people traveling with you and it seems that everyone wants to "go first" lol... A crowed day on a ship is better than a day at home watching tv...

As far as what to pack: my best advise is to go for comfort. I'm not sure where your going so you would pack differently for the Bahamas then for Alaska. either way, comfort... You can always tell the "newer" cruisers on the ship because they have the most luggage. :) You will see many post on how to dress for dinner, it is a personal preference and you will see a variety. I personally like to dress up for dinner every night (not talking evening gowns & tux) but nice, on Capt's night I go for the "little black dress" & husband wears a suit.

Rooms have shampoo, razors, soap (bring your own condition)

don't forget your camera, flip flops (or comfy shoes) and any medicine you may need. Pack like you would any vacation.. they do have a little store if you forget anything you can buy it, although it is convenience store prices... Even if you not prone to sea sickness it may not be a bad idea to take something EVERYDAY just in case. You never know if a storm might happen in the middle of the night while your sleeping and trust me I never thought I got sea sick until I did... Have fun and enjoy your cruise... it will be over before you know it...

Bring a highlighter pen! Stupid silly item BUT..when you look at your daily news (is it fun times on Carnvial?)...each morning or night if you are back in cabin early, highlight the "must do's" for your day ahead. So much going on, its hard sometimes to choose between events and venues. I highlight things I dont want to miss :)

Extra batteries or battery charger for your camera.

Addresses for those back home you might want to send a post card to (postmarked from the port you're visiting. We do this for our grandson.)

e-reader if you have one and charger.

Here are a few items that I was very glad we brought along:

** Water shoes for the beach--- not all beaches are soft-white sand. We went shore snorkeling in Cozumel and the beach was very rocky. These shoes are also great for wearing up on deck, they have rubber soles and are good for not slipping

** A small battery operated alarm clock. I found one @ Dollar General for $5. ----- It really came in handy to to wake us up for port days (we had 4 ports) and also doubled nicely as a nightlite.

** Reusable water bottles. -- great for taking water off the ship for going on excursions or for using around the pools.

** Lounge chair clips -- these were great for clipping our wet swim suits to the balcony chair to dry. Regular clothes pins are too small. They also work great to keep your towel clipped to your beach chair.

I found mine at Walmart in the summer seasonal asile. They were $4 for 2 large clips. Bed-Bath and Beyond also sells them.

** A bottle of hand and body lotion and chap stick. On the lotion, get a decent size not the little travel ones. The sea air will do a number on drying your skin out. I picked up a small 8oz size of Aloe Vera lotion and used every bit.

** A good paperback, magazine or puzzle book. I was really glad that I brought a few paperbacks. You can donate them to the ship's library when you are done.

** a drawstring garbage bag and a few gallon zip-lock bags. We used the garbage bag for our dirty laundry. When we repacked to leave the ship, we just pulled the drawstring and placed it in a suitcase. The gallon zip lock bags we used for damp swim suits, sandy beach shoes etc.....

** There is tons of food on the ship but we did bring on some boxed granola bars, individual bags of mixed nuts, a box of Crystal Lite mix-ins and a good box of chocolate truffles. The truffles were for us to enjoy in the cabin and the granola bars, nuts and Crystal Lite we used on long excursions that did not offer lunch or snacks. They will not allow you to take any unwrapped items off the ship, so little wrapped snacks are really handy. They do sell some little snack type items in the gift shop but they are super expensive. $5 for one can of Pringles :(

These are just a few things that I can think of off-hand. I'm sure that some will not agree with my must-haves but everyone's needs are different. Just think of things that you use in your daily life that you know you will want to have with you on the cruise.

Good luck to you and have a great time.

Must haves for me..

One dollar bills for tips

any and ALL meds I might possibly need

bandaids, blister aid

small flashlight

extension cord if you have many things that need to be charged

comfy mix and match clothes

an empty bag for any gifts I might bring back

lanyard

gum/mints

LOTS OF MONEY

good attitude!

If you mean things to carry while cruising, just your Sign and sail card, chapstick and maybe your towel if going to the pool, or book/kindle if you are a reader, a jacket to the dining room, any medical necessities (ie asthma inhaler), and that kind of stuff. Leave everything else in your cabin. I have a small cross shoulder purse that holds the small things I need including my digital camera.

For the ports, we take a backpack - packed with items appropriate to what we are doing. If going snorkling that would mean our towels, water shoes, cameras, sunscreen, water bottles, etc. We have a waterproof aquapack that we put our S&S cards, DLs, chapstick(you seeing a trend here) and cash in that stays on our body. Everything else stays in our cabin on the ship.

Archived