Planning 2nd Cruise

I took my first cruise Oct 2009 on the Carnival Dream around the Mediterranean. I'm looking at booking my second and my fiance's first cruise. We're on a budget but I'm worried about going from the Dream to one of the older ships. We were thinking western caribbean on the Imagination mainly due to price. We want to go in Sept/Oct and are willing to take the hurricane risk. So will I be disappointed? I loved the number of hot tubs around the Dream and since it wasn't high time, the ship didn't seam crowded. I'm worried the Imagination will be a big disappointment. Should I just live more frugally the next few months and bump up the budget?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Certainly, the Imagination is a vastly different ship than the Dream but that's not a bad thing... just a different experience!

The Imagination is one of the Fantasy Class ships that has the Water Works and Serenity Area installed... very nice addition.

Many folks prefer the Fantasy Class over the larger ships as the experience seems more personal on a smaller vessel. Although there is no steakhouse available you can opt to attend the Chef's Table which is a fantastic dining opportunity!

Give her a shot! I'm sure you'll enjoy it as long as your expectations are realistic.

:)

You will get as many answer as there are members on these boards.

Here is my opinion.....Go for the itinerary first and ship and accomodations second.

DH and I took our first cruise together in 2006 on Carnival. It was on the Fantasy. Small, older, intimate ship. Loved it. Stayed in an inside cabin. Made it a goal to become platinum cruisers as quickly as we could. In 5 years we have been inside, ocean view and one balcony with Carnival. The balcony was paid from an inheritance that he and his siblings received. (Thanks Papa).

In December of this year, we will be sailing on a Carnival Panama Canal 14 day cruise as platinum guests. :p

We mix splurges with frugality and have managed to cruise at least twice a year for the last five years.

Good luck in your decision.

A totally different cruise experience but a cruise nonetheless. Loved all my cruises on Fantasy class ships (going on the Sensation in November) and loved all my cruises on the Conquest and Dream class ships. However, if I could only afford to go on one cruise per year, I would save the extra money and book a Conquest class ship...just my preference. That being said, the Imagination is a great ship and provided a great cruise experience every time we sailed on her. The biggest difference I noticed on the Fantasy class ships, they only have one buffet area compared to two on Conquest class and deli, pizza and bar are all in one area inside the buffet dining room...caused a lot of congestion if you went at peak hours. Everything on Fantasy class ships is scaled down but it makes for a more personal atmosphere. I don't think you will be disappointed if you go with the right attitude...the food is great, staff was wonderful, entertainment venues all enjoyable, it's just different.

Archived