Ladies formal wear

lottee

Hi,

Although my husband and I have cruised many times we have never cruised with cunard. We are booked on the Queen Victoria in September for my husbands 60th birthday. Our past cruises have been mainly on P and O and we have always dressed up for the formal nights but none of my dresses are long, does this matter, I would call the dresses i have cocktail and are very elegant, will these be okay? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hi,

Although my husband and I have cruised many times we have never cruised with cunard. We are booked on the Queen Victoria in September for my husbands 60th birthday. Our past cruises have been mainly on P and O and we have always dressed up for the formal nights but none of my dresses are long, does this matter, I would call the dresses i have cocktail and are very elegant, will these be okay? Any feedback would be appreciated.

The cocktail look is very elegant (see below) and I'm sure you will look wonderful. No it doesn't matter if your dresses are not long.

web.jpg?ver=13067583610001

On the other hand this might be the perfect excuse to purchase a long dress, as a celebration of your husband's 60th of course :)

We crossed to New york for the 1st time on QM2 (our 1st time on Cunard) this April. You will be absolutely fine with cocktail dreesses & will not stand out

However, I am sure you will be outstanding!

A Gallant Gari.

We were on the world cruise for 94 days. I wore 4 long dresses, 3 cocktail dresses and a few tops with very dressy black pants, rotating them for the formal nights. We had more than 30 formal nights, as I recall. On the formal ball nights, we saw more long gowns than other formal nights, but not exclusively. There were people in designer gowns, people in their Sunday best, and always the rude people who will not follow dress code. So you will look just great in your cocktail dresses.

A few people bring costumes for the themed balls. I just couldn't deal with packing that much more, but really admired the Indian costumes, the Chinese gorgeous gowns, the masks, etc. And the entertainment staff also dresses up and makes a big deal of those who dressed for the theme.

A woman was complaining quite loudly in the lauderette that she had been refused entry to the dining room on formal night, as she was wearing dressy jeans. She was just wrong to try. She can eat at King's Court or her stateroom if she rather not dress, or select a different ship that has a more casual atmosphere to suit her taste. She got no sympathy.

Hi,

Is this the eastern med cruise???? I'll be celebrating my 60th on the 15th in Istanbul. Glad to read the other comments regarding "dress codes" as I have been uncertain as to where the line would be drawn between "elegant casual", semi-formal, and formal. Looking forward to meeting you if we're on the same cruise.

There were people in designer gowns, people in their Sunday best, and always the rude people who will not follow dress code.

A woman was complaining quite loudly in the lauderette that she had been refused entry to the dining room on formal night, as she was wearing dressy jeans.

These people will tell you they're wearing 'designer jeans' :rolleyes:

web.jpg?ver=13119424670001

Cocktail length is fine. I'm wearing one long and one cocktail on my next P&O cruise (not at the same time :D) and would be equally happy wearing either on Cunard. As someone else said, it is a nice excuse to buy a new long frock though. I was very tempted in Roman Originals the other day ....:)

Archived