Diving rec. for Norwegian Star, ACA-PV-IXTAPA-CABO

First time poster here:

I'm booked on the Norwegian Star sailing March 29th stopping at Acapulco, Puerta Vallarta, Ixtapa and Cabo San Lucas.

Since I'm traveling with my family, I want to pick one port to do a couple of dives..Any suggestion on best sites, ports and operators?

Also, is water temp a concern while wearing a shorty 3MM wetsuit, or will that suffice (I'm used to diving in the carribbean)

Warm water diving is the BEST. :D

I took my dive gear with me on the Star in Jan. I couldn't get anyone at NCL to tell me anything about dive conditions/temps etc., in advance, so hauled it. I was scheduled to dive in Ixtapa.

Once on board I talked to the tours people. They told me that typically the water on the Rivera is chilly, not sure if this is just a January thing, or if it's all the time. However, my dive-guy locally says 3-5 mil is the norm in the Pacific year round.

I changed my mind about diving since I really don't like wearing wet suits, and simply snorkled in Ixtapa. The water was OK...not warm, not cold, but then I was on the surface.

I spoke with a guy who did do the dive in Ixtapa. He said that the water was chilly, that the 5 mil was adequate, but that the vis was horrible. I asked him if I truely missed anything by not going and he said no. I didn't get a chance to talk to him again, although he did tell me he was going to dive again on the trip, so I don't know how that went.

Hope that helps.

The best place to dive is in Cabo. There are many dive shops available. We used Manta - www.diveguide.com. They were very good & more personalized - just myself and my husband. They will even pick you up at the dock where the tender drops you off. You will need a 3mm suit because the water temp is probably in the mid 70's.

First time poster here:

I'm booked on the Norwegian Star sailing March 29th stopping at Acapulco, Puerta Vallarta, Ixtapa and Cabo San Lucas.

Since I'm traveling with my family, I want to pick one port to do a couple of dives..Any suggestion on best sites, ports and operators?

Also, is water temp a concern while wearing a shorty 3MM wetsuit, or will that suffice (I'm used to diving in the carribbean)

Archived