bathrooms and small children

jayteeoh

Hi, everyone -

We will be sailing on NCL Pearl in a couple of weeks with our 4-y.o. son. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how high the sink and toilet in the staterooms are? Will we need step stool, and will the ship provide one? He needs a step stool for our bathroom at home. My son is pretty self-sufficient in the bathroom, so I don't want to have to worry about having to follow him in the bathroom to lift him up every time he needs to wash his hands. What have other parents done?

Thanks!

JTO

I'm sorry, but I can't answer your question. I just wanted to give you kuddos for thinking this far ahead. On all of the ships that I have been on the sinks have been pretty high up and I never thought of bringing a step stool.

I would say pretty high, also. I wanted to point out that the toilets are REALLY loud on cruise ships, so you might want to "demonstrate" the flush to your son before he actually does it. It FREAKED my daughter out the first time!

My DH thought that I was crazy, but I took one of these on our cruise in January for DD-3 1/2. It worked out really well and DD was able to be independent in the bathroom. It is fairly lightweight and folds for travel. I stuck it in the outside pocket of DD's suitcase.

This is a really good question - the answer is, the sink is quite high. My 5-year old kept climbing on the toilet to reach the faucet on our cruise on the Pearl, so I wish we had brought something along... My husband turned the garbage can upside down and used that as a stepstool. This was ok, but then we had no garbage can!

Oh - I wanted to add about the toilets: yes they are very loud. My son hated it and wouldn't flush the toilet after the first time he was surprised. Warning your son ahead of time is an excellent idea! On the other hand, to answer your question completely, the toilet is not too high for a little kid. My son did not need a stool for the toilet, only the sink.

Very nice. I'll have to show that to DW. We have stools at home, but travel enough to make that worthwhile.

To the OP: the sinks are pretty much standard height for an adult. If he needs a stool at home, he'll need one there. I wouldn't count on the cruise line to supply one, though I'm sure they could provide a well-taped cardboard box in a pinch.

Not sure about the kids' clubs. Most day cares and such seem to have the low sinks and mini-toilets, so camp might have that. Again, I wouldn't count on it.

Good show with planning ahead. :D

I agree with all th PPs here. I wish we had thought of this before our cruise when DD was 3.

She was totally self-sufficient with the whole potty routine, but is very petite and always used a step-stool at home for the sink and the toilet. I didn't think to take one with us. We were on Carnival Pride, so I can't speak as to what NCL will provide. But our room steward said they didn't have any kind of step-stool we could use. We eneded up going to the mall in Port Canaveral (our first port of call) to buy one.:o

I agree that the folding step-stool suggested by a PP is a good idea. My mom has those at her house for the grandkids. They are very sturdy.

A well-taped cardboard box, as suggested by another PP, is also a great idea. You could bring your own, collapsed, and a roll of duct-tape (we all pack this anyway, right?;)) and assemble it yourself. Then just leave it behind at the end of the cruise.

Good luck and happy cruising!

I just wanted to let people know that I saw the identical foot stool at Marshall's (in Virginia) on Saturday night mixed in with back to school (dorm) items. It was 9.99.

It was very sturdy - my 6 foot friend stood on it becuase he was considering it for his outdoor shed to reach items hanging from the ceiling. We were surprised at how flat it folded

I just wanted to let people know that I saw the identical foot stool at Marshall's (in Virginia) on Saturday night mixed in with back to school (dorm) items. It was 9.99.

It was very sturdy - my 6 foot friend stood on it becuase he was considering it for his outdoor shed to reach items hanging from the ceiling. We were surprised at how flat it folded

I bought mine at a kitchen store. I have also seen them in Wal Mart. I think that Bed, Bath, and Beyond has them too. They do fold up very flat and don't weigh too much.

Just wanted to say thanks for this excellent idea!

Ours arrived from amazon uk (about £7 Inc delivery) and will fit perfectly in our sons suitcase front pocket as described. Really pleased he will be able to retain his bathroom independence while we travel now - one less bad habit to get out of once we get home...

Archived