Spirit Review - 3/13/05 (Part 2)

Delizk

On to day 2 - the first day at sea!

Seeing as my husband and I are both about as pale as you can get, we obviously were not into the lounging by the pool scene (and good thing - it was crowded with college kids). We got up, stopped at the internet cafe to check some things out online, then on to breakfast at Raffles. One thing I will say about this buffet is that there are a lot of options! Pretty much anything one would consider eating for breakfast and then some (baked beans in the morning is a little much for me, but I did see people eating them). We went back to the room and hung out until it was time for the lifeboat drill.

Afterwards, we did some browsing in the stores, explored the ship some more, made reservations for Maxims. Then off to lunch at the Bier Garten. My husband was craving another one of the hamburgers he had the night before. Unfortunately, they tasted more like meatloaf patties than hamburgers, so we headed off to the Blue Lagoon for that fabulous fried rice! We attended a financial seminar (not my idea, but his) where I enjoyed some complimentary rum punch (the drinks on this ship are probably stronger than any I have had in a bar on land or sea...by the end of the cruise I was actually asking them to make the drinks weak for me!). We went and played some bingo (and lost miserably!), then headed down to Henry's to catch pub trivia, before heading back to the room to prepare for a late dinner at Maxim's.

Regarding Maxim's...the tables for 2 people are super small! There was hardly room for the plates much less the water glasses, wine glasses, bread plates, etc. The service was ok. When we were first seated, we sat there for about 10 minutes before anyone came over to acknowledge us, much less take our drink orders. At least we weren't the poor couple sitting right in front of the kitchen doors (which they had to close at one point in the evening because of the excessive amount of smoke pouring out into the restaurant). The food was good (we both had the sirloin with baked potato, I had broiled tomato, my husband had asparagus). Dessert was ok - I think I had cheesecake (that memorable).

We then went and hung out at Henry's to listen to Dave Morgan, "Guitar Virtuoso" play for a couple of hours. If you are on the Spirit and enjoy good music, you must check this man out! According to my husband (who plays drums and has played with some amazing amateur guitarists), this man is the best he has seen. We found ourselves going back each night to listen. My husband ended up playing "name that tune" with Dave when we were there, which delighted my husband to no end when he could name virtually every song (not to mention who had played drums on it probably!).

It was then off to dream land to prepare for our arrival in Cozumel on Tuesday.

If you have any questions, or want more detail about anything, feel free to ask. In trying to be as brief as possible, I have probably left out details that others may find interesting.

Day 3 to come later today...

Archived