Silver Beads in Cozumel

mompolo

Just wondering if anyone has found sterling silver beads (not bracelets) in Cozumel and whether they thought the price was good -

I make jewelry and would love to bring back some beads -

Thanks!!

I know I've seen beads in silver stores before....not sure of the prices but I did a goggle search and found this. Might be a starting point for you.

Where should I go shopping?

Cozumel is a big stop for cruise ships and therefore the waterfront area of downtown is lined with jewelry stores and souvenir shops. Sterling silver is especially predominant, but make sure its stamped "925" to ensure you're getting the real deal. A number of stores also offer Mexican folk art. The main shopping area is along Avenida Rafael Melgar and on the side streets around the plaza. Around Avenida 5a is a good place to look for nicer craft stores. Forum Shops offers a new experience known as the Caribbean Shopping Style, where the customer will be able to save 50% from what is customary in the United States and Canada for exclusive items, such as those found in the fine jewelry shops. For a good one-stop shopping experience, head to Los Cinco Soles. Stretching almost a full block, the store has fairly priced glassware, brass, tablecloths and place mats, embroidered clothing, beads, and other souvenirs. Another good place to look for a great assortment of handicrafts is the Mercado de Artesanías (Handicrafts Market), located a few blocks from the main square. There are 4 department stores in Cozumel — Fama, Pama, Prococo, and Viva Mexico.

Cinco Soles used to carry a great selection of loose beads. NO more. BUTTTT...you can get a strand of 6mm, 8mm, ect, as a piece of jewelry/necklace. They are strung on a silver chain rather than cord, as the sharp hole edges eventually cut thru. Just cut that, and you have 20, 24 30 inches of silver beads. I have an 8mm necklace that is about 14 yrs old. it has 103 beads, as is 30 inches long. wt is (from my kitchen dual wt scale, is 85 KG's.. I bought it wholesale in Dallas, for about $40 at the time. I've had it restrung . Start your "haggeling at" about 1/3 after the merchant tell you "special price"..BE Polite!...always say thank you after you look at the goods...the price will drop, ,,again..look pitiful, and say, really, thatz too much, but thank you soooo much for showing it to me. The price will drop some more..start to look at other things totally NOT what you want to but..he will follow you with a calculator....giving you another price..if you are comfortable with this method and he asks you "what you pay, Mammie"..offer the price you wish to pay...he will clutch his heart, and re-figure on the "Mexican " calculator, offer you a mid price, after he asks you "how you pay"...Ca$h talks....then offer what you WILL pay,head SLOWLY to the door, still thanking him for his time and attention.... and dont back down..after you offer..the dealing is DONE !!! Do NOT embarrass either of you by walking out after YOUR final offer, and he has accepted it. . It will have wasted his and your time!..

Go to a bead source on line and look what .925 8 mm beads are costing, plus shipping. This will give you a guideline of USA prices. For a better deal...if you want more than one size strand, or sz beads ..bargaining is better. They will weigh each piece as they price it for you. Bargain smart! then get back to me how you made out!! Buona fortuna !

I know I've seen beads in silver stores before....not sure of the prices but I did a goggle search and found this. Might be a starting point for you.

Where should I go shopping?

Cozumel is a big stop for cruise ships and therefore the waterfront area of downtown is lined with jewelry stores and souvenir shops. Sterling silver is especially predominant, but make sure its stamped "925" to ensure you're getting the real deal. A number of stores also offer Mexican folk art. The main shopping area is along Avenida Rafael Melgar and on the side streets around the plaza. Around Avenida 5a is a good place to look for nicer craft stores. Forum Shops offers a new experience known as the Caribbean Shopping Style, where the customer will be able to save 50% from what is customary in the United States and Canada for exclusive items, such as those found in the fine jewelry shops. For a good one-stop shopping experience, head to Los Cinco Soles. Stretching almost a full block, the store has fairly priced glassware, brass, tablecloths and place mats, embroidered clothing, beads, and other souvenirs. Another good place to look for a great assortment of handicrafts is the Mercado de Artesanías (Handicrafts Market), located a few blocks from the main square. There are 4 department stores in Cozumel — Fama, Pama, Prococo, and Viva Mexico.

Are you on our Roll Call ?????? and the listing of all the things you want to do on board??...She is asking everyone to catch up. ! I didnt check y'days Friday report. We are over 250 peeps there, and there are 2 M&G on board..where will you be staying? We are having a pre-M&G at Continental hotel ealy, as most of us are on Las Ramblas..and arv'g early.. Bead shopping is something I do as well, on all my travels..I am also a fabric snob for my projects. I've been in Spain the last 2 yrs, so I'm use to looking and reasearching what I want/need. See You on Roll Call....judi

Just wondering if anyone has found sterling silver beads (not bracelets) in Cozumel and whether they thought the price was good -

I make jewelry and would love to bring back some beads -

Thanks!!

poster..I got:confused:..no coffee yet!!!

Archived