Getting back to the ship from Buenos Aires domestic airport

Linda_and_Bob

We'd like to go to Iguazu Falls independently and are looking at flights in and out of Newberry airport (AEP). There's one that gets into AEP from Iguazu rather late at night - after 11pm. The airport and port are only a few miles apart, but we're wondering if a) there will be any cabs back to the ship at that hour and b) if it will be safe.

I'd appreciate any advice and reports of good or bad experiences.

We'd like to go to Iguazu Falls independently and are looking at flights in and out of Newberry airport (AEP). There's one that gets into AEP from Iguazu rather late at night - after 11pm. The airport and port are only a few miles apart, but we're wondering if a) there will be any cabs back to the ship at that hour and b) if it will be safe.

I'd appreciate any advice and reports of good or bad experiences.

11pm late? Not in Bs As. As the native say "the night will still be in panuelas" (diapers). Getting a cab at Jorge Newberry will not be a problem at that hour or much later. Just make sure you get one that uses the meter and appears clean. You might even consider calling a radio cab. One of the bigger radio cab cos is Premium 5238-0000. The night fare to the ship will be about 35-40 pesos. Less than $10.

11pm late? Not in Bs As. As the native say "the night will still be in panuelas" (diapers). Getting a cab at Jorge Newberry will not be a problem at that hour or much later. Just make sure you get one that uses the meter and appears clean. You might even consider calling a radio cab. One of the bigger radio cab cos is Premium 5238-0000. The night fare to the ship will be about 35-40 pesos. Less than $10.

I never take cabs from the line out in front of the domestic airport (AEP). Lots of fast meters and scam artist drivers there and the whole operation is controlled by a local "mafia."

Either call for a cab, as pmacher suggests...or book a remis (private car/driver) from one of the booths inside the airport near baggage claim.

As pmacher says, BA is a late night town....11:30 is early....some restaurants do not open until 11...and some clubs don't open until 1AM.....just to give you a comparative frame of reference.

Thanks for the replies.

I had guessed that the city would be hopping but I didn't know if it would be safe that far out of the city.

Are there phones in the terminal to call the radio cabs? Will someone understand English when they answer the phone? (I never feel so stupid as when I can't speak the language of the country I'm visiting...)

I read somewhere that flights from Newberry can be really late - like 6 hours. We also intend to spend the night in Iguazu. How have you found domestic flights in BA?

Thanks for the replies.

I had guessed that the city would be hopping but I didn't know if it would be safe that far out of the city.

Are there phones in the terminal to call the radio cabs? Will someone understand English when they answer the phone? (I never feel so stupid as when I can't speak the language of the country I'm visiting...)

I read somewhere that flights from Newberry can be really late - like 6 hours. We also intend to spend the night in Iguazu. How have you found domestic flights in BA?

You are right; domestic flights are not always on schedule. We used Aerolineas Argentinas. Our outbound flight was an hour and a half late but our inbound back to BA was on time. It was well worth the risk to us. Our next port was Montevideo which is just across the bay from BA so it would not have been a big expense to catch up to the ship. Iguazu is a must see in your lifetime kind of place.

Thanks for the replies.

Jorge Newberry Aeroparque is not outside the city. It is close to or perhaps within the boundaries of Palermo (a barrio in or close to the heart of the city). That is why the meter fare from AEP to the ship should run no more than 40-45 pesos (about US$ 10).

There are public phones and or a locutorio within the terminal (s). You might do well to locate the Taxi Premium web site, register as a member, and see if you can arrange in advance for them to send a cab when you r flight is scheduled to arrive. That may not be possible due to the tardiness of arrivals and the waiting time charges that would entail. Otherwise, secure the tel #s of 1 or 2 other large radio cabs (Pidalo is one). Who knows - you might even find a bilingual fellow traveler willing to make the call for you. But if it were me, I would just go to the taxi line and wait for a pleasant enough looking driver.

Dr D and I disagree on how unsafe it is to get a taxi from the taxi line at AEP. If you know, as now you do, that the fare should run no more than about 40-45 pesos, you should have no big problem getting a cab from the taxi cab line. If you have any doubts ask "cuanto va costar al puerto de navios de cruizeiros?" Point to the meter. You know, it is not all that treacherous.

On the other hand, getting a cab from the pier to AEP can be a pain. The drivers at the pier will grossly overcharge you and you may not have any options unless you can call a radio cab and or hoof it a considerable distance and search, like Diogenes but with luggage not lantern in hand, for the "honest" driver who will only overcharge you a little (like asking for US$20 to go to AEP). Really honest drivers don't go to the port. They don't want to associate with the mafia scumbags.

Above post is correct. The domestic airport and port are not outside the city. Very close to downtown. The international airport (EZE), is further away. I assume you will have no problems getting back onto the ship that late. Remember, the flight back from Iguazu could be late. I did have a camera stolen in AEP, but I erred by putting it aside as I was going through things in my carry-on bag. I'm sure an info desk in the airport could help you get a cab. I think I used English in the airport (I speak Portuguese but not Spanish).

• 3 weeks later...

I am from Argentina. Not Bs As. From a city from Patagonia.

One knows that the service of taxis, not all, are handled by a people group (call taxi`s mafia) who decides who works and who no. I have heard of bad experiences in Bs As with taxis. But also of people who non have problems. I personally, use the phrase "but he is worth to come up that cry" , I do not use the taxis of the airport.

Two times fly to Bs As for take a cruise with my husband and little daugther.

Utilize the service of a cooperative of taxis called AonBue, Adolfo the driver, always was to the scheduled time, even in flights to 3.00 a.m. Clean vehicles, in very good state, comfortable (Peugeot Partner), baby seat and with conditioned air (important in the summer of Bs As). It realises the pursuit online of the flight and knows if is delayed. As soon as I leave the airplane already calls to me to say to that door I must go. A little but expensive, but safe and totally reliable. Another company that works from both airports and is very well-known is "Manuel Tienda Leon" with stand in both airports.

http://www.tiendaleon.com.ar

http://www.aonbue.com.ar

I hope that be useful my opinio.

Good cruise !!

Archived