Bannister or Goff's Caye?

terryde

I also would like any input you may have. I'm really having a hard time booking something for Belize. We were there last year and did the Cave Tubing/Zip. There seems to be just as many bad reviews as good reviews on Belize excursions. :confused:

Anyone?

Pat

I don't know anything about Bannister. We went on a snorkeling trip to Goff's Caye in July. We enjoyed it. The snorkeling was good, nice ride to the island with dolphins accompanying us both there and back, good rum punch. It is just a very tiny island and even though I knew that when I booked, it was smaller than I expected. We really enjoyed it but it depends on what you are looking for. It is a calm, laid back day.

After we returned to the TV, we spent some time shopping and got some good deals on purses.

It was a good day, fun port - I would do it again.

Just returned from our cruise... We had planned on going to Bannister, but could not find one company that would take us there (everyone had a story of why they were no longer going to Bannister -- from a lawsuit, to NCL purchasing the cay, etc.). So we went to Goff's Cay. It is tiny and the snorkeling is good (not spectacular). It was a great day. The crew brings along all the drinks and food along. There's grilled food available (we had the lobster which was good and heard that the chicken was really good). They also had one vendor there -- the only space left. I thought it was a charming way to spend the day. We also had the rum punch (included in the price -- $49). I believe the company was Ecotour (the guys in the green shirts). I'd do it again and would recommend going to Goff's Cay.

Interesting.

I have a Bannister Island & Snorkel excursion booked with Coral Breeze in just about 20 days. (Deposit paid)

Can anyone chime in on whether they were able to get to Bannister Island successfully?

We also just booked with Coral Breeze for Sept 21 (Independence day in Belize). Went with them to Caye Caulker the same day last year. Hope we get to Bannister - nothing on their website talks about any problems.

We figured it was a little interesting that no one (again, right at the pier) knew of any company that could take us to Bannister. I know how competitive the companies are at the dock... and I can't imagine that any would have not provided us with the correct info... :rolleyes: I'm glad we tried Goff's Cay (beautiful), but the snorkeling from Bannister was more interesting.

Last year we loved Coral Breeze. Someone in a previous post was offended that they turned them over to Hammerhead. Hammerhead is great, they run a good program. The trip to Caye Caulker is long, about 45 mins by fast boat, but the crew (including Heni, the woman who is the tour director) are great and telling you lots of things on the way. We elected that time to be dropped off at Caye Caulker while they took the others snorkeling, which wasn't a great idea in retrospect. It was independence day in Belize that day (Sept. 21, the same day we will be there this year!) and basically everything in Caye Caulker was pretty closed. A few restaurants or bars open, but everyone tells you to walk to the "split" and the bar there serves good food, etc, but it was closed. We didn't see more than a dozen people on the whole island.

We did sit and read at the split, but we should have gone snorkeling - those that did loved it. (We were snorkeled out that trip! We do usually snorkel every day on a cruise, 17 cruises under our belts after this next month).

Caye Caulker doesn't have much to do - you can walk through stores, and I guess if it weren't a holiday, the small few gift shops would be open.

We are trying Bannister this time because it is much closer for the ride and just beach, really. In Belize you need to get off the mainland really for a beach.

Archived