Questions about attire on NCL Gem

Anniboo

My husband and I are going on our first cruise in November on the Gem. We are looking forward to it but I have some questions about how to dress.

We chose NCL because of the newer ships and the "freestyle" cruise because we are casual people. My husband's normal attire is jeans, a tshirt and tennis shoes. He dresses up by putting on a polo shirt. If he has to really dress he may do khaki's and a button down.

I can go from extreme casual to dressy and anything in between.

What I'm wondering is if he is going to be out of place in his jeans and tshirts all the time? Cause he will not have a great time if I make him wear dockers and polos all week either.

So what say you experienced people?

It depends on the ship. Hopefully some recent Gem cruisers will provide more details on that ship but in Jan. on the Sun nice jeans were allowed in all dining venues and nice shorts were allowed in all but one of the MDR's and Le Bistro. If his jeans are not torn or overally faded he will probably be fine with those and a polo just about everywhere. I would bring the khakis also but a polo should work for just about everywhere and a regular T-shirt in most places.

He will be fine, in jeans and a T-shirt, except at dinner. He will get into most dining venues dressed as is. The main dining room will require, khakis and a polo, other venues will require a collared shirt. Jeans are not a no-no in most restaraunts, t-shirts are. Ultimately, it is your vacation and NCL understands that and tries not to make you do what you do not want to do. I have been on an 8 day cruise and put on pants, once. Enjoy.

havent been on the Gem but on all the NCL ships i have been on rarely are tshirts worn in the evening but perfect for brkfst and lunch.

jeans and a polo or khakis and a polo will get you into any dining venue

its now just no shorts in the larger MDR or Le Bistro--which can vary sailing to sailing ship to ship and who is in charge.

on the Sun in December and the Star in February both were allowed in the larger MDRs and in Le Bistro.

My husband and I are going on our first cruise in November on the Gem. We are looking forward to it but I have some questions about how to dress.

We chose NCL because of the newer ships and the "freestyle" cruise because we are casual people. My husband's normal attire is jeans, a tshirt and tennis shoes. He dresses up by putting on a polo shirt. If he has to really dress he may do khaki's and a button down.

I can go from extreme casual to dressy and anything in between.

What I'm wondering is if he is going to be out of place in his jeans and tshirts all the time? Cause he will not have a great time if I make him wear dockers and polos all week either.

So what say you experienced people?

Your husband sounds like a carbon copy of mine! Only got him to go on a cruise because of NCL's freestyle. His jeans & tees will be fine. Mine puts on his dockers and a polo for dinner but never gives up his tennis shoes.:) Leaving on cruise #6 in Oct and have never felt under dressed.

Your husband sounds like a carbon copy of mine! Only got him to go on a cruise because of NCL's freestyle. His jeans & tees will be fine. Mine puts on his dockers and a polo for dinner but never gives up his tennis shoes.:) Leaving on cruise #6 in Oct and have never felt under dressed.

Thanks for the info - will get him some nice new dockers and polo's for dinner and leave him alone the rest of the time.

Does your husband enjoy crusing? I assume he does since you are off again! :)

Thanks for the info - will get him some nice new dockers and polo's for dinner and leave him alone the rest of the time.

Nice jeans (not torn) are fine. I stopped taking even khaki's or "dockers" on cruises anymore. T shirts are not considered acceptable in the MDR's. Polo shirts, "Hawaiian" prints, any collared shirt will do.

Does your husband enjoy crusing? I assume he does since you are off again! :)

I've worn jeans to every dinner that wasn't in the buffet in both my GEM cruises, with either a polo or nice t-shirt. That includes Cagney's and most of the other specialty restaurants.

I have never worn more than a polo shirt, kahki pants and tennis shoes to ANY meal on any NCL ship and I have eaten in the main dining rooms and the specialty restaurants.

Some venues have rules against T-shirts.

Jeans are allowed in all venues except LeBistro and one of the two main dining rooms.

We're only Bringing a Suit Jacket(me) and Her Cocktail dress because we want "formal" photos. Otherwise I spent my whole Post Army (Teaching) career in Jeans & Chinos or dockers(those on Parent teacher conferences!) Thats what's cool about NCL- Do "whatever" within reason...:D

Bill(DrFootball)

("Hooah! It's an Army Thing")

Jeans are allowed in all venues except LeBistro and one of the two main dining rooms.

What Should I Pack?

Freestyle Cruising® is not too dressy, not too casual. In fact, you’ll find that there are really only two types of attire you’ll need.

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required.

Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the Aft Main Dining Room (our more formal Dining Room) and in Le Bistro, on cruises that are more than five days long. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable during a Bermuda cruise.

JEANS are allowed in all dining venues

Archived